android
Old 12-12-2008, 01:42 PM

Default New Sony Touchscreen Player @ CES 2009

http://www.sonyinsider.com/2008/12/1...kman-revealed/
Here comes Sony's response to the Ipod Touch, P2/3, and S9
http://www.sonyinsider.com/wp-conten...2008/12/tw.png

(how do you embed images?)

A new sony touchscreen player is set to be debuted at CES2009! Not much info on it:

16 and 32gb models (hooray)
WQVGA resolution (384x240 pixels) on 3-inch OLED screen
Supports MP3, WMA, AAC, PCM (audio) and AVC (h.264), MPEG-4 and WMV (video)
Wi-Fi (full browser, you-tube player, unknown if it has flash support)
FM Radio
Active noise canceling built in
'Powerful' built-in amp
Probably some physical controls (like P2, S9)

The article doesn't say if it will have Bluetooth or not, but all recent Walkmans have (I think) so it's probably a pretty good bet. The website says the pictures are "product shots" but looks like it was drawn in paint to me lol... but if dimensions are accurate, the player has a small footprint and is very thin. Menu style is supposedly very similar to current Walkmans layout.

Personally, Wi-Fi isn't a big deal to me (though I said the same thing about bluetooth on my P2, and I ended up using that a lot :P). As long as it doesn't blow the price through the roof, I suppose it won't hurt though. Sony players are somewhat pricey, so hopefully the price stays at a reasonable range.

Discuss!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-12-2008, 01:48 PM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Saw that earlier. If its true, it looks like a merging of the mylo and the walkmans. I dont know how much i believe it since sonys always been very no-nonsense with regard to their walkmans and they are already priced high compared to number of features

If it is true, im very interested. Podcasts are the reason i use an ipod touch, and since i generally love the sony players it would be awesome if they could match the touch's podcast capabilities without screwing something up

Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 PM

It will not look like that, those are just general images. Pricing should be competitive for the range, but then it will be shipping with wifi and oled, and oled is not a cheap technology. Currently a 16 gig walkman here is 199 or even less, so go by the price in your country for the newest walkmans and you should see the price for the new one.

Like I mentioned in a few threads on here, the new walkman would not be the typical walkman that we have had in the past and as you can see that is true.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If this is a real player to be released (yes, I saw the news also), then my getting an S9 will have 2 wait. Sony, @32gb, w/a touch screen + tactile controls, and the addition of wi-fi? Wow, the dream device has just become a reality for me, and Sony is gonna' make it.

I do have 1 question, will it have a sweet name too? You guys know, like the NWZ-WiFiS625SXVWBUG or something? I mean, since Sony ALWAYS names their devices w/such a nifty moniker, why change the formula now?

I'd still buy it though!!!

Old 12-12-2008, 03:24 PM

I just call it a sony walkman not my NWZ-A818 :P.

I just did a few calculations here and with a 3 inch screen and WQVGA the dimensions of the screen should be as follows, going by a 16:10 ratio

width: 40 mm
length: 65 mm

give or take a mm but 65/40 is 1.625 so close to the 1.6 ratio. if you want to compare to the current walkmans, the 818 has a screen that is 40mm x 30 mm.

so the current length of 40 mm would become the new width of 40 mm on the new walkman.

Area wise, the old walkman's have 1200 mm^2 of area for the screen where as the new one should have around 2600 mm^2 of area, more than twice the size of the current walkmans.

Finally size wise? my best guess is that it could 48-50 mm wide and perhaps 74-80 mm long? the size estmate is a guess at best, but I am going by what sony has been doing recently. the screen size should be close.

I would imagine wifi can be turned on and off?

Old 12-13-2008, 02:20 AM

A few things are conditional, but this is my new favorite mp3 prospect...

If....
*it has bluetooth
*about the size of the s9 or smaller
*has a comparable ui as far as style and response to the s9 or itouch
*has bluetooth
*has an sd or micro sd slot
*is price comparable to p3 or s9
*is at least half as sexy as the s9

Old 12-13-2008, 06:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Dude, all the other considerations are shelved. The S9 and P3 are history, I'm waiting for this. Sony has finally gotten my full attention.

WERD!!!

Sho'Nuff!!!!

Old 12-13-2008, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Perfection_ View Post
A few things are conditional, but this is my new favorite mp3 prospect...

If....
*it has bluetooth
*about the size of the s9 or smaller
*has a comparable ui as far as style and response to the s9 or itouch
*has bluetooth
*has an sd or micro sd slot
*is price comparable to p3 or s9
*is at least half as sexy as the s9
do not count on sd or micro sd, sony does not do SD.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey, @32gb, who cares?!?!?!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:22 PM

Well I have a pretty massive music collection right now, and while I don't have 32gb yet I might in a year or two so an sd slot would be nice.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Sony will take quite a while to incorporate an sd slot into their players (as far as we know). I have over 100gb of music, so I have more of a job picking and choosing myself. Besides, the extra space will be for vids, NOT tunes. This is getting a larger touch screen for extra media abilities. This will be far more than a simple audio player IMO.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:23 AM

I believe the image is just a illustation and not the real image
this is if this is a real rumour which i certainly hope

I hope it has bluetooth it is a must now at day
i even prefer bluetooth over wifi but it should have both
I also hope that is made of metal not plastic with a solid anti-scratch glass screen
When i buy Sony a expect Maximum Quality

I would love some kind of Flash card, i prefer SD but anything that can expand upto 16gb more, and hot swapable

And it MUST have physical Volume,pause/stop/play and Hold buttons
so i can control it without taking it out of pocket

and I hope it be avaible as easy as the normal Sony walkmans

Oh, and if it can record from FM radio it be great
also a buildt in Mic dictafone and maybe some speakers
but i guess speakers will increase the price

Old 12-16-2008, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Sony will take quite a while to incorporate an sd slot into their players (as far as we know). I have over 100gb of music, so I have more of a job picking and choosing myself. Besides, the extra space will be for vids, NOT tunes. This is getting a larger touch screen for extra media abilities. This will be far more than a simple audio player IMO.
Even so, the incorporation of sd slots or micro sd's get better by the year with the cards being able to hold more and more. If they released the 32 with a micro slot this year and there were 32g micro cards next year, that player just doubled in storage. And another 32g's equals a lot more videos being stored...

Old 12-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Perfection_ View Post
Even so, the incorporation of sd slots or micro sd's get better by the year with the cards being able to hold more and more. If they released the 32 with a micro slot this year and there were 32g micro cards next year, that player just doubled in storage. And another 32g's equals a lot more videos being stored...
And THAT'S why it won't happen, as it'd cut back on the sale of the next gen of player to hit the shelves. The fact it's not included is a sign that they WANT us to upgrade. If you can up the capacity, means they may not make that profit (or so their afraid).

Old 12-16-2008, 07:11 PM

I am really excited about this new Sony Touch model. I recently got to play around with my friend's Ipod Touch he recently bought and I was hooked. I was ready to go get one and now I hear this news that Sony is making one. I think I will wait to see how good the Sony model is before I make a decision for my next MP3/PMP player.

From the picture, I like how it has a 3-inch screen but is still small and thin. I also hope it has some dedicated buttons like for +/- volume, "Home", on/off, etc. Even the Ipod Touch has them. I also hope the WiFi stuff can be turned off so to save the battery juice. The larger supported formats such as WMA, WMV, MPEG-4 is very welcomed (less time converting stuff).

And most of all, hopefully it will be in the color shown (dark gray?). Looks sharp. A silver color version would be just as good.

Don't let me down Sony.

Old 12-16-2008, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
And THAT'S why it won't happen, as it'd cut back on the sale of the next gen of player to hit the shelves. The fact it's not included is a sign that they WANT us to upgrade. If you can up the capacity, means they may not make that profit (or so their afraid).
That's why corporate competition is awesome. If rival companies include sd slots, as cowon has been doing, sandisk...etc, they will lose sales of their players entirely. Some sales are better than no sales.
Without a monopoly such a desirable feature is bound to show up, with some companies already doing it sony will have to follow suit.
I guarantee if ipods had sd slots almost every player would include them next time around. Unfortunately apple wouldn't do that until every single other mp3 player includes sd slots because they already have the top market share. Sony though, doesn't have that luxury.

Old 12-17-2008, 03:38 AM

apart from vaios, I don't think any other sony products feature SD cards, not their camcorders, or digicams. I am not even sure if their phones support it? since they use mem stick micro, perhaps that could be added to the new walkman.

btw does anyone know how to search the FCC website for new products? if the new walkman has bluetooth or wifi, it needs to go through the fcc first.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 AM

Default Here it is?

http://i.gizmodo.com/5125117/sony-wa...rld-around-you

And there you have it?

Old 01-07-2009, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnyyanks62 View Post
link is dead

Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM

it works here

http://www.engadget.com/2009/01/07/s...screen-player/

gizmodo removed it :P not sure I like the side tectures, but the dedicated volume, play, pause, forward, backwards and home buttons are a fantastic touch!