android
Old 12-11-2008, 08:36 AM
ABI Founder

Default The S9 Has a Non-standard USB Connection

I just got word that the S9 will have a micro-B USB connection. Sure its a standard USB, but very uncommon, so it might as well be proprietary. It is the same connection that the iriver SPINN uses. There is a photo of it in that review.

I know that many will complain about this, but the sacrifice would have been a thicker device if they would have put the fatter more common mini usb.

this is wrong, please see here: Cowon S9 Cable

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-11-2008, 09:29 AM

Well, Nokia (and other major mobilephone makers) are transitioning to micro-usb, replacing mini usb in their phones as the means för computer connection. So it means it's somewhat uncommon now, but will get a lot more common in the future.

To be honest, I'd prefer it to be propietary. Cables may cost alotl, but you'll get more functionality from that port. And the device will have fewer ports.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabarati View Post
To be honest, I'd prefer it to be propietary. Cables may cost alotl, but you'll get more functionality from that port. And the device will have fewer ports.
Yeah, but a proprietary cable really defeats the purpose of plug-and-play.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPoo View Post
Yeah, but a proprietary cable really defeats the purpose of plug-and-play.
Not really... Unless you lose the cable, and you're in a place you can't get a new one. But that applies to standard cables as well.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Not really... Unless you lose the cable, and you're in a place you can't get a new one. But that applies to standard cables as well.
I didn't mean in your own house, you'll have to carry a cable with you @ all times. If it has a mini usb connection you could connect it @ your friends house or something.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:02 AM

That happened to me. My friend(s) didn't have a mini usb cable. They did have various propietary cables though...

In any case, you don't need a cable at all times. You rarely need them at other places at all. At least, I've almost never needed it. That probably colours my opinion on this matter.

Old 12-11-2008, 10:30 AM

Well, if the loss of Wifi and no sd slot hasn't thrown you off being interested in the device, this probably won't either (like me).

Every player i've owned had proprietary cables(or small usb). The first mp3 player i had, the tiny Creative Rhomba, had these even smaller cables. Then the connector on the player bent after sometime and i couldn't connect it anymore. So for me everythings fine as long as the connector and the cable are firmly attached so stuff doesnt bend..

The only thing i haven't gotten yet; why aren't player manufacturers using bluetooth for wireless connection? I know there are different bluetooth standards, but isn't there one for just transfering data with a small dongle (or even built-in) at the pc? I don't know if the Zune does it that way, i can't buy it here so i wouldn't know.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:19 AM

Default What about an adapter?

I have a couple of "kits" that are USB A male to USB A female extension cables that have adapters to mini-B and several others. I'd like to see manufacturers include adapters from mini-B to their proprietary connectors. Yes, it would be something else you'd have to carry, but it would be smaller than a full-length cable.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v-iso View Post
The only thing i haven't gotten yet; why aren't player manufacturers using bluetooth for wireless connection? I know there are different bluetooth standards, but isn't there one for just transfering data with a small dongle (or even built-in) at the pc? I don't know if the Zune does it that way, i can't buy it here so i wouldn't know.
Because bluetooth is too slow and not that easy to deal with, i.e. some weird things happen sometimes that you have no idea what or why. Then there's different bluetooth stacks on computers, weird implementation on different devices, and once more, very low speeds. Blutooth is in no way a good replacement for USB.

And the Zune uses Wifi to sync. Not bluetooth. And wifi is not a good replacement for USB either.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Because bluetooth is too slow and not that easy to deal with, i.e. some weird things happen sometimes that you have no idea what or why. Then there's different bluetooth stacks on computers, weird implementation on different devices, and once more, very low speeds. Blutooth is in no way a good replacement for USB.

And the Zune uses Wifi to sync. Not bluetooth. And wifi is not a good replacement for USB either.
They are releasing bluetooth 3.0 within a year....so in the future maybe...

Old 12-11-2008, 04:10 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimit.../dp/B000UNNV5S

tah dah, the magic of google and amazon has revealed a 10$ replacement cable, its the same cable used on my motorola phone
Cowon A3 30g (working just fine)
Cowon O2 32gb /w 8gb SD Card(brand new hooray)

Old 12-12-2008, 01:47 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgz View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Unlimit.../dp/B000UNNV5S

tah dah, the magic of google and amazon has revealed a 10$ replacement cable, its the same cable used on my motorola phone
Good looking out, especially since the proprietary cable issue is moot for me. I actually have a few devices laying around the house that use this, so I'm good to go, even if I lose the original cable.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:46 AM

bluetooth does have an interesting future ahead. I saw a video demo'ing BT 2.1 where devices were able to sync up simply by placing the two units close to one another. No more lengthy "search -> password -> pair" business.

Not sure if the S9 uses BT 2.1 (Samsung's P3 does.) And of course you'd need 2.1 on your other devices to take advantage of the intimate connections.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Perfection_ View Post
They are releasing bluetooth 3.0 within a year....so in the future maybe...
now what really would be a revolution is using bluetooth to share music with other people also having mp3 players or phones with bluetooth. would be real nice if they would do this
OT: I think the cable is fine. it is not proprietary it is a small version of USB IMO

Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki View Post
now what really would be a revolution is using bluetooth to share music with other people also having mp3 players or phones with bluetooth. would be real nice if they would do this
OT: I think the cable is fine. it is not proprietary it is a small version of USB IMO
Hasn't the zune already done something like this? Like, you could share songs with other zune users, IIRC it was heavily restricted though and not bluetooth of course. It also couldn't be done without any restriction because the music labels would probably sue the players manufacturer for illegal distribution or something.

Also thanks for the other people responding to my bluetooth question. I do hope that we see in the future though (like 2010 or 2011), atleast testwise for major mp3player-companies.

Old 12-19-2008, 06:02 PM
ABI Founder

Correction, Please see here.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=37721

Closed Thread