android
Old 12-08-2008, 02:23 PM

Help Biggest problems with D2

I'm thinking about getting a D2, but I'm not sure if its flaws will make it no good for me. What are the most annoying things about the D2 that you experience?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-08-2008, 02:25 PM

Converting videos.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

And deciding which headphones sound best w/it.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:32 PM

@dfkt - Could you be more specific? Is it difficult to convert them, or is it just annoying that you have to do so?

Also, is the user interface easy to use once you get used to it?

Old 12-08-2008, 02:36 PM

My only complaints about the D2 so far.

Not handleing tags in Flac files the same way MP3 Tags are handled. D2 does'nt support "Album Artist" field in ID3v2 with flac, and the does'nt see embeded cover art, you have to use a cover.jpg file instead.

The hardware buttons on top are too small and don't have too much indication on which button is which when controlling from your pocket. They should be a little more spaced apart.

The touch screen controls, can use a tab bit more sensitivity.

The US version of the firmware does'nt have a dictionary!

The internal memory only goes as high as 16GB

These are just very small annoyances I have, I still would recommend the D2 through its a great player.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
@dfkt - Could you be more specific? Is it difficult to convert them, or is it just annoying that you have to do so?

Also, is the user interface easy to use once you get used to it?
No, it's certainly easier to convert for than for many other players - MaxSt's D2video does a marvelous job (and JetAudio is ok as well). It's just too bad they artificially limited the player to 320x240 MPEG4 - since it's a fact it could handle other formats with higher resolution easily.

Old 12-08-2008, 04:55 PM

to me it is annoying to convert as i need to convert sometimes h.264 in a mkv container or a mp4 and finding good headphones is the other thing still looking lol.

Old 12-08-2008, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
The hardware buttons on top are too small and don't have too much indication on which button is which when controlling from your pocket. They should be a little more spaced apart.
Yeah, I agree, they should be laid out like on the i7 with the menu button separate and the volume buttons adjacent. Regardless, I do everything but navigate directories from my pocket.

The touch screen controls, can use a tab bit more sensitivity.
I think they are plenty sensitive, I actually do a lot of navigation without even looking at the screen now that I am used to it Just personal opinion though.

The US version of the firmware doesn't have a dictionary!
IMHO, its quite a useless feature anyway. They should be doing better things than integrating a dictionary. What a waste of space. Every once in a blue moon I use the calculator, I think 3 times this year... I can't do decimal powers in my head.

The internal memory only goes as high as 16GB
. . . With an extra 32gb of extremely well integrated SDHC goodness.
I still think the D2 is the best player for anyone with a touch of geek spirit... quite sad, now that it is almost 2 years old. Industry seems to be very talented at repeatedly failing. Hard.

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 12-08-2008, 06:30 PM

I've been using a Sandisk e260 for a while, and I've never really been satisfied with it. The main problems I had were the terrible sound quality, with lots of system noise, and a buggy/slow OS.

Obviously the D2 has good sound quality, but would I hear any system noise with low sensitivity earphones (13 ohm)?

And I think I can deal with a slightly less than streamlined OS, as long as it's responsive and serves its purpose without distracting bugs. Would you say that the D2's OS fits these criteria?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:31 PM

The only thing I have is the Damn power cord. Why yet another cord. Whats wrong with the 5V USB cord. I hate having another damn plug to use. Other then that The D2 is the best player out there hands down.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:50 PM

What are you talking about? The AC adapter? I thought it had just came with the USB transfer cable and an ac power adapter.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:52 PM

Mine came with a USB cable and an AC adapter. I can use either one to charge my D2.

Oh there is no gapless playback, at least not with Flac.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
What are you talking about? The AC adapter? I thought it had just came with the USB transfer cable and an ac power adapter.
Yeah comes with a power cord. Now I need yet another dam,n power cord. You can charge it using the 5V usb but it takes longer. Not a real big deal it's just the only thing I hate about the D2......Opps thyere is one more thing. I wish when you set a bookmark it would put the put the time down at what point the bookmark was made in the file. Other then that its a perfect player.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Mine came with a USB cable and an AC adapter. I can use either one to charge my D2.

Oh there is no gapless playback, at least not with Flac.
Seriously? No gapless playback? That's disappointing.

I think the AC cord would be a good thing, not a bother, because you aren't always around a computer when you need to charge it. It's also pretty typical for usb charges to take longer. Does the AC power cord plug into a separate port?

Old 12-09-2008, 12:11 AM

The AC adapter plugs into the mini usb port of the D2.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:22 AM

Ok. I think I just have 2 questions left. Is there gapless playback? And does the OS fit the criteria I mentioned? ->
Quote:
...I think I can deal with a slightly less than streamlined OS, as long as it's responsive and serves its purpose without distracting bugs.

Old 12-09-2008, 09:27 AM

No gapless (like 99% of all other players - but with Rockbox it does/will have gapless). The D2's UI is very nice with new firmwares, thanks to virtual motion gestures. It's actually one of the fastest and most practical to scroll through lists in my opinion. Not to mention instant jump to any position within a track, thanks to the touch screen progress bar. There's no lag with it either. (Pretty much the opposite of the new O2.... )

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
No gapless (like 99% of all other players - but with Rockbox it does/will have gapless).
Last time I checked, the D2 wasn't anywhere close to being supported by Rockbox, so I don't think I'll count on future gapless playback.

So should I get this or wait for the S9?

Old 12-09-2008, 10:06 AM

It already plays gapless perfectly fine with Rockbox, actually it did since June. But there are other issues which prevent Rockbox from being 100% usable at the moment. If you really need gapless your only choices are Zune, Vibez, iPod, some discontinued Rio, or any other Rockboxed player.

Neither I nor anybody else can tell you anything about the real-world performance of the S9 since it's not available yet. The D2 however is a very solid player with mature firmware (by Cowon's standards), my favorite player by far.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrhea View Post
You can charge it using the 5V usb but it takes longer. Not a real big deal it's just the only thing I hate about the D2.
This is a moot point. USB charging is always slower no matter which DAP is used.

Tags
flaws