android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 12-03-2008, 05:37 PM

Default Looking for IEM to replace V-Moda Vibe (G1) for D2

After nearly two years (yes, you and I are surprised), the plastic cover for the wires, near the little plastic "balls" by the actual monitors, are coming off. I loved the way it sounded, stopped minding (or noticing) the microphonics, but missed the fact that unlike other IEMs I used, isolation was only somewhat better than buds. And the damn cord would always twist and tangle.

And I'm looking for something to replace them within the [original] price range, give or take some dollars. I'm willing to spend more if need because, because I buy for the long-term investment, not an impulse. I try to take care of my stuff (ie, not dropping them every time I return home) and so try to prevent, but I won't bother, at all, with any cures and repairs from wear and tear.

For music, I'll listen to everything, and usually without an EQ (yes, I know I'm using a D2, but still love the way it sounds with the Vibes). Except [most] rap and country. I like hearing the every detail of songs, like individual instruments. Typically, I don't like farting bass. I don't hate bass, as I am bass in my choir, but yeah, I'm not a bass head when I listen to music. Conversely, I hate piercing sounds as well (as most people do).

I'll try to list as much as I can, but generally, to paint a better picture.
Video game music
Orchestrals
Instrumentals
Asian like those in animes, jpop & rock
Trance
Rock (yes, a very broad term. The kind I listen to are a lot like Rock Band's offering, which is also very broad)
DDR (which includes a lot of stuff too)

I was looking at the XBi before, but with that build quality being worse than the Vibes, I'm really put off by that. The recently-reviewed Phonak Audio PFE look great, according to the IEM spreadsheet, except it's a tad more expensive and not as pretty as the Vibes were. Maybe the new Ultimate Ears Super.Fi 5 too. Also, I was considering the new Vibes (black/silver), but I don't want to have to deal with the past problems (build, manual burn-in, isolation) and if it's just a moderate improvement, I'd go with the Phonak or something else recommended.

I hope to get some help here. I haven't gotten a chance to tinker with the D2's MTP playlists, as I'm not home right now, and I want to make a solid, long-term investment from research and respected opinions.

I wish the Vibes lasted a little longer, considering the extra precaution I put into them when I heard about the build quality, but I suppose it was worth it. The D2, well, I hope it lasts over two years, since I've opted for it instead of the S9, and it does have expansion and the reputation I've heard and experienced.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-03-2008, 05:43 PM

I would look at the Phonak's or the Atrio's, both look like world beaters

Old 12-03-2008, 05:45 PM

If you like the Vibes, have you thought about recabling them?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:48 PM

I don't have much time on my hands going to UCSD, especially since finals are coming up, and I'll be going home to spend time with family.

Quote:
I try to take care of my stuff (ie, not dropping them every time I return home) and so try to prevent, but I won't bother, at all, with any cures and repairs from wear and tear.
I usually don't try to fix what's broken - I go to the warranty or the store for a replacement. It's quicker, easier, and I usually end up with something newer, or better.

I also did see your thread, but even though I've soldered before, it never interested me. Not even the prospect of salvaging the [beloved] Vibes has my interest.

And as for the Atrios... twice the price of the original Vibes is out of my range. I mean... I wasn't even willing to pay $200 for the D2, and instead bought it with the eBay + live.com discount on Black Friday. Well, okay, I probably would've bought it or a Zune80, but I'd rather spend that on a new HDTV or game console.

Well, I'll be back in a few hours, Organic calls.

Old 12-03-2008, 05:53 PM

Well, your music repertoire is really hard to cover by a single (cheap) phone. Sound-wise the X3i would be the best inexpensive option - but yeah, the Vibes are indeed built like a tank compared to the X3i. The Atrios should be a really good all-round option for you... too bad you missed the sale.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:38 PM

Just wondering, but why the Atrios over the Phonak?

Aside from the price, the Atrios has more bass than the Vibe and Phonak, and is good except for treble, while the Phonak's green in bass quality, mids, and treble. Also, you do rank the Phonak higher than the Atrio.

I kind of wanted to wait until the FreQ site was reopened come New Year's, but the Vibes just couldn't make it to exactly two years.

Last edited by Plan303e; 12-03-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan303e View Post
Just wondering, but why the Atrios over the Phonak?

Aside from the price, the Atrios has more bass than the Vibe and Phonak, and is good except for treble, while the Phonak's green in bass quality, mids, and treble. Also, you do rank the Phonak higher than the Atrio.

I kind of wanted to wait until the FreQ site was reopened come New Year's, but the Vibes just couldn't make it to exactly two years.
Unless your budget gets larger FreQ opening up should be of no concern. The Atrio's are one of the best dynamic drivers out, but the newcomer Phonak got picked as editors choice by a guy (dfkt) who listens to UE 11's daily, and has a drawer in his desk that has seen more than it's share of the best phones on the market. For $130 the Phonaks look to be one of the best bargains for your hard earned dollars. FreQ if they are still all customs when they open back up??? in Jan. will cost you an additional $30 for ear impressions from an audiologist which would bring there lowest former phones to around $150.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:23 PM

I'll wait a few days before I place my order for the Phonaks, then. I almost overlooked that dfkt gave them Editor's Choice, despite everything else I noticed for them and others. But I just won't be too hasty, I'll just see if there isn't anything else. Hopefully, with whatever little life's left in them, the Vibes will hold out - the left side's looking pretty skinned.

For my college budget, they seem to be a bit much, considering I also just bought the D2, but I can... rationalize that it's for the holiday and a birthday present for myself.

Lastly, I just saw an ad here for ZAGG (people who made the InvisibleShield, probably greatest screen protectors on the market) and they entered the IEM market with z.buds. No one here has probably tested it, have they?

Last edited by Plan303e; 12-03-2008 at 09:32 PM.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:46 PM

Have you tried to electrical tape the wires? Thats what I did with mine. If they are trash when your done with them let me know, I wouldn't mind a little recabling project The Zagg buds probably are right up there with ipod phones or skull candy

Tags
d2, opinion, replacement, suggestions, vibe