android
Old 12-03-2008, 08:43 AM

Default Transcoding on-the-fly when syncing

I've got the majority of my rips in WMA Lossless format, and am looking for an easy way to convert them to Flac and get them on the D2. It would be great if there were something that could convert while syncing in one step.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-03-2008, 12:03 PM

The general consensus is that all in one applications aren't usually the best way to go about things. You'll be told to use "App x" <app x=""> for converting because its the best at that, and use some other thing for syncing. Though chances are you'll be told to use drag and drop in explorer, rather than sync.

I've been reading up, and that's whats been said in a few other threads.</app>

Old 12-03-2008, 01:46 PM

Well, syncing to the D2 is generally based on dragging and dropping - is it really such an exhausting step that you need to bypass?
I got a tip - encode your wma to vbr mp3, that saves space

Old 12-03-2008, 07:42 PM

It sounds as though he is intent on keeping the whole lossless thing more than saving space.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 PM

Well I've discovered that the GOLD version of MediaMonkey can convert and sync on the fly. Unforntunetly the Free version disables this feature.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
I've got the majority of my rips in WMA Lossless format, and am looking for an easy way to convert them to Flac and get them on the D2. It would be great if there were something that could convert while syncing in one step.
Depending on the size of your library, I would either re-rip into FLAC, or just convert to Ogg Vorbis q5 for your portable player.....unless you have bad-@z$ headphones, you probably wouldn't notice much , if any difference between the lossless and the q5(maybe q6)

Old 12-04-2008, 12:18 AM

Unfortunetly I have 2 pairs of Bad -Azz earphones, (UE Triple.Fi 10 Pro, Klipsch Custom-3). And yes there is a difference. The plan is to go from WMA Lossless to Flac. I guess I'll just have to manually convert for now.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:04 AM

dbpoweramp was suggested by dfkt for converting on a previous occasion

The free version does conversion of the stuff you want when you add in the extra codecs.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Well I've discovered that the GOLD version of MediaMonkey can convert and sync on the fly. Unforntunetly the Free version disables this feature.
The free version lets me convert mp3 podcasts into either wma or vorbis for smaller filesize, with the destination being my player....but I never tried a lossless-to-lossless either

Old 12-04-2008, 05:48 AM

WMAL is pretty much incompatible with any hardware player besides the Zune, and generally not very flexible.

Maybe convert your whole collection to FLAC, that makes things a lot easier. It might be time consuming, but you only have to do it once. After that you are quite compatible with a lot of MP3 players and software transcoders, without the hassle of WMAL incompatibilities.

http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index....mparison_Table

Old 12-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Well I used WMA Lossless because I have a Zune 80, it was no mistake I did it on purpose, but now I'd like to covert some things over to my D2.
However!
Marvin the Martian made a good point. Since the D2 shows up as a hard drive rather than a pmp device on my computer, it should be possible to just have MediaMonkey convert from WMA Lossless to Flac making the D2 as the save destination within MediaMonkey rather using the Auto Convert and Sync option.
I'm going to try it as soon as I get a chance.

Edit: Ok Converting using the D2 (G:\) as the save location is a good work around, I was able to copy a album transcoding from WMAL to FLAC on the fly to the D2. Thanks for the suggestion Marvin the Martian!

Last edited by Leroy Bad; 12-04-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Marv is da' MAN!!! WooHoo!!!! I would have never thought of that myself.

Old 12-04-2008, 09:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Well I used WMA Lossless because I have a Zune 80, it was no mistake I did it on purpose, but now I'd like to covert some things over to my D2.
However!
Marvin the Martian made a good point. Since the D2 shows up as a hard drive rather than a pmp device on my computer, it should be possible to just have MediaMonkey convert from WMA Lossless to Flac making the D2 as the save destination within MediaMonkey rather using the Auto Convert and Sync option.
I'm going to try it as soon as I get a chance.

Edit: Ok Converting using the D2 (G:\) as the save location is a good work around, I was able to copy a album transcoding from WMAL to FLAC on the fly to the D2. Thanks for the suggestion Marvin the Martian!
Glad I could help Leroy

Old 12-04-2008, 09:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Marv is da' MAN!!! WooHoo!!!! I would have never thought of that myself.
It's that native alien intelligence...lol
Edit: Does this mean I win a D2? lol

Old 12-05-2008, 01:24 AM

What I'm curious about, is are you only putting the FLAC on the D2 and leaving your library on the PC in WMA lossless, rather than just converting to FLAC for everything?

Old 12-05-2008, 05:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
It's that native alien intelligence...lol
Edit: Does this mean I win a D2? lol
PM me, we'll talk.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougisfunny View Post
What I'm curious about, is are you only putting the FLAC on the D2 and leaving your library on the PC in WMA lossless, rather than just converting to FLAC for everything?
As of right now my Zune 80 is still my primary DAP which uses the WMA Lossless. My new D2 is sort of an experiment.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
As of right now my Zune 80 is still my primary DAP which uses the WMA Lossless. My new D2 is sort of an experiment.
Just wondering, how big are the files, is it a slow process? I was using this method to make 100mb of MP3 podcasts into 40-ish MB of WMA orOgg Vorbis, and it took a few minutes, but I was cramped for space. I imagine lossless files would take a while

Old 12-05-2008, 10:52 AM

Well lossless is much larger than MP3, the file sizes vary, if a 5 min song makes a 50MB WAV, then it'll be about 25-32MB in Lossless, The time it takes to trancode I'd say is just as long as ripping from a CD and encoding on the fly. But it does take a little longer to transfer to the D2 (I think thats the bottle neck). 5-6 min.

The only problem I'm running into is with the Tag info. My WMAL rips have an Album Artist field and embeded album art. The D2 does not handle the Album Artist field correctled with FLAC (it makes it show (Artist=????), and it only recogizes album art by a cover.jpg in the directory. So I still have to make some changes. But its not such as big deal since MediaMonkey lets you edit the file tags in batches.