android
Old 12-02-2008, 12:15 PM

Default D2 Questions

So I ordered a D2 about a week ago and have been reading about it. (http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=36903) I have some questions...

1) Can the Korean firmware play DRM files, or do you have to sacrifice the flash skins to be able to play them?

2) If I am going to be keeping the D2 in my pocket, should I drop the stylus altogether to avoid scratches?

Thanks.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-02-2008, 01:30 PM

1) Korean firmware doesn't support DRM-crippled files.
2) The stylus is plastic, it probably won't scratch the player. However, I never used the stylus at all, so I can't say. I find that tiny triangle thing to be pretty useless, fingers work great on the D2's screen.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
1) Korean firmware doesn't support DRM-crippled files.
2) The stylus is plastic, it probably won't scratch the player. However, I never used the stylus at all, so I can't say. I find that tiny triangle thing to be pretty useless, fingers work great on the D2's screen.
Thanks, do you think there's any chance of American firmware getting flash skins in the future?

Old 12-02-2008, 05:45 PM

I doubt they merge the feature sets of the 2.xx and 3.xx firmwares. It's absurd that they developed two separate firmwares to begin with, but now the D2's life cycle comes near its end (I believe), and they probably won't do any major changes to the firmwares.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
I doubt they merge the feature sets of the 2.xx and 3.xx firmwares. It's absurd that they developed two separate firmwares to begin with, but now the D2's life cycle comes near its end (I believe), and they probably won't do any major changes to the firmwares.
The only reason for Cowon to end with D2 as product is to release a D3, with similar characteristics to D2. This is still a rumor according to CNET Asia here. There is no other player like D2 in Cowon assortment. S9 could have been a successor but without SD card slot, it won't let user get rid of D2. O2 is another type of device, without all the goodies of D2, like flash and others.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:49 AM

This has nothing to do with Bluesman's question if Cowon is going to merge the feature sets of the 2.xx and 3.xx branches, however.

Old 12-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
This has nothing to do with Bluesman's question if Cowon is going to merge the feature sets of the 2.xx and 3.xx branches, however.
It have to do with with the cycle of D2 ending. If it not ends it would be a great solution to save software engineers hours taking care of just one firmware instead of Korean and non-Korean.