android
Old 11-30-2008, 11:00 AM

Default Clip or fuze?

Hey everyone, the holiday season is coming up (I know you American's have had one holiday already lucky people) but across the pond we're in the runup to the holidays and I was wondering what mp3 player I should be bugging my parents for :P I've basically shortlisted the fuze or the clip as my new player but could be persuaded onto something else if there is justification for it.

Anyway, here are my criteria:

• 8GB or higher
  • Excellent SQ (mainly the reason I shorltlisted these two as they have a great chipset)
  • Not fussed about video
  • Not too expensive (both under 60 on amazon)

Thanks for any help you may have!

Last edited by alil; 11-30-2008 at 11:01 AM. Reason: Typos

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, given that you said, 8gb or higher, try for the Fuze. The Clip maxes at 8gb....and it's really cheap to get an additional 8gb microsdhc card so your Fuze would then be 16gb. I don't even use the video on mine...I have done short video podcasts, but it's primarily a music player....with a nice color screen. Go for that, and try for better headphones, unless you have some already

Old 11-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Marv is on point, as the Fuze seems more up your alley. The microSD expansion, plus the larger battery life, bring this to the front as a first choice.

Old 11-30-2008, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alil View Post
Hey everyone, the holiday season is coming up (I know you American's have had one holiday already lucky people) but across the pond we're in the runup to the holidays and I was wondering what mp3 player I should be bugging my parents for :P I've basically shortlisted the fuze or the clip as my new player but could be persuaded onto something else if there is justification for it.

Anyway, here are my criteria:

• 8GB or higher
  • Excellent SQ (mainly the reason I shorltlisted these two as they have a great chipset)
  • Not fussed about video
  • Not too expensive (both under 60 on amazon)

Thanks for any help you may have!
here I go again....

As a proud Fuze owner for 8 months now to me there is only ONE choice. The Fuze is the most versatile player on the market in its price range. Great sound with video...( I know maybe not now but you never know right?....good to have the option...with Clip....never). Expandability with microSDHC cards, good battery life...its just a great little player!. In America I've seen them for as low as $79 for an 8GB!. I haven't regretted a moment since I've had my Fuze and I'm sure you won't either if you get one...
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 12-01-2008, 03:22 AM

All these glowing recommendations for the fuze, but I'm still undecided. Well my mind was made up until I saw that the clip was number 1 of the best players of 2008! I know the fuze shares the same sound quality, but when you think it's got added video support, room for expansion and a nice big colour screen and was released in '08 when the clip was not, but still beat it's big bro' then I'm in turmoil again. Argh the choices :P (At least I've got a choice eh, and it's not just an iPod world)

Old 12-03-2008, 07:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

How much would you be using the player while being active? Even just walking. I bought (and love) the Clip because of the clip. Clip the Clip to your shirt/jacket/pocket/belt/whatever and off you go.

Steve

Old 12-03-2008, 08:26 PM

They both have the same great sq, so the question you have to ask yourself is can you live with 8gb or would you like the ability to expand. If the latter is your answer, then get the fuze. If not, then the clip

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-03-2008, 11:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The previous 2 posts both make great points.....your answer lies in pondering those points. My answer would be to get both

Old 12-07-2008, 02:44 PM

fuze=clip but with a better feature set.

go with the fuze.
if you already have another primary mp3/mp4 player, then get the clip.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

There is something else to be said for the Clip....in all fairness.....you'll never be mad 'cause your album art doesn't show or your audio is slightly out of sync with your video.....these things sometimes have Fuze users act as if the sky was falling, instead of taking a chill pill and enjoying the great sound but as I've said before, I have and am quite pleased with both

Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 AM

I'm getting a Fuze to use as my portable library and will use my Clip as my gymp3 player.

Old 12-10-2008, 05:59 PM

I stand before the very same question at the moment. Sometimes I even wonder if I really need a new player - I have a Trekstor iBeat Cube atm, which has great features (standard AAA battery, easy on the power with its mono LCD, OGG support+FM tuner). Only shortcoming: 1GB memory, no expansion slot.

I would really love the Fuze due to its SD slot. Would, if it wouldn't have that damned proprietary connector. Sansa went too far in copying the iPod *duckandhide* The clip OTOH has a standard mini USB, but only has that small display with an unergonomic way of paging through a list instead of scrolling. I wouldn't mind the smaller battery because I already have a couple of cables for all my locations and even an AC adapter from my HTC mobile phone.

Sad that they both have glossy fronts, if one didn't I wouldn't ponder any second and take it. So what to get, what to get? *sigh*

Last edited by Thunderchild; 12-10-2008 at 06:00 PM. Reason: Paragraph delimiters added

Old 12-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderchild View Post
I stand before the very same question at the moment. Sometimes I even wonder if I really need a new player - I have a Trekstor iBeat Cube atm, which has great features (standard AAA battery, easy on the power with its mono LCD, OGG support+FM tuner). Only shortcoming: 1GB memory, no expansion slot.

I would really love the Fuze due to its SD slot. Would, if it wouldn't have that damned proprietary connector. Sansa went too far in copying the iPod *duckandhide* The clip OTOH has a standard mini USB, but only has that small display with an unergonomic way of paging through a list instead of scrolling. I wouldn't mind the smaller battery because I already have a couple of cables for all my locations and even an AC adapter from my HTC mobile phone.

Sad that they both have glossy fronts, if one didn't I wouldn't ponder any second and take it. So what to get, what to get? *sigh*
ordinarily i would say damn it all to hell, you only live once and the cost of it isnt going to exactly bite into your college fund.. at the most two bottles of half decent scotch. so get them both and find something more pertinent to ponder over. if it was a hard choce over the both of them, fuze hands down, you will learn to live with that cable... no worries.

on the flip side, just a suggestion here... maybe you've mired yourself only into these two as choices. the cowon d2 does everything you ask and some to boot for not that much more. its never going to be the clip but it'll beat the pants off the fuze (regular mini usb cable and everything). also it uses regular sd cards, so you can expand any old time.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:36 AM

Thanks for the suggestion, but the Cowon is too big & expensive. Besides, for what it can do above the Fuze I can use my aforementioned smartphone.

Unfortunately, that one has no standard headphone jack, that's why I can't really use it as DAP (it came with a mini USB headset). And though HTC Audio Manager is not that bad at organising a music library (it even can sort by composer *g*), it does not know ogg.

I read some more yesterday, also about how easy the Fuze's front is subject to scratches, so I guess I'll tend towards the Clip now. I have some other big expenses planned, so its lower price also appeals. The (only) reason why I'd like a SD slot is because I have two unused and rather small cards lying around that I'd like to put to use again.

I'll go to a big store next monday and then decide what to do.