android
Old 05-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
OK guys, dropping it is not the standard way of fixing an iPod either, it's the same, just a tap.
We were joking RCM.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-21-2008, 09:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
We were joking RCM.
I know, but that was really meant for the OP, so if he does get it working again, not to try that silly stunt again, which would in turn probably mess it up again.
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 05-21-2008, 09:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I must have been thown off by the "you guys" part then.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM View Post
I know, but that was really meant for the OP, so if he does get it working again, not to try that silly stunt again, which would in turn probably mess it up again.
Oh you....

Yeah, I know I shouldn't abuse my player. Abuse is very, very wrong, even if it's against inanimate object.
Besides, I love my zen! I take took it everywhere! It was a blast while it lasted...

BTW, how bad of an idea is it to turn on [or try to] my zen while it's disassembled? I have the guts splayed open, and I'm tempted to just to see what's clicking.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you love it so much, don't give up on it yet. A simple hard drive swap may be all you need.

Turning it on while it is open (if you can) to see what the noise was..... I wouldn't be able to resist.

Old 05-21-2008, 10:59 PM

Well I plugged it in--it's still plugged in, actually--and now I think it's the motherboard, possibly. I unplugged the hard drive [after unplugging it from my computer], tried it again and it was still making the clicking and flashing the light.
This is really odd! I wonder what could be wrong.

Old 05-21-2008, 11:26 PM

calm down before you destroy the whole thing, it could be you messed up the battery freezing it and all, i guess it could conceivably be shorting somewhere, but that seems unlikely.

Old 05-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, at this point (after the abuse), it could be just about anything.... failed HDD, too deeply discharged of a battery (or ruined from being froze), motherboard cracked from the nose dive.... who knows.

How long have you left it plugged in? Where did you notice the noise from while turning it on opened up?

Zen FAQ

Old 05-22-2008, 01:39 PM

I'd say the clicking is coming from the top where the light is. I've also found that the light/clicking slows when I hold the which to 'on'. Also, when it's plugged in and I hold it upright, the flashing/clicking stops.

And just as I write this, the flashing/clicking stops completely. [it's still plugged in.] Scratch that, it's still going. It just needs to be mildly jilted. [Yes yes, I know, don't drop the zen.

I don't think it's the battery now, because holding that upright does not effect the flashing/clicking.

...Okay, I just disconnected the battery from the motherboard and plugged it in. Blue light flashed once, then nothing more. Wiggling the usb connection in the dongle[?] makes the light flash again, but that's it.
Scratch that again, the lights flashing as though the battery is charging, though the battery is not connected.

So I unplugged it, attached the hd, and plugged it in again. It's not making any clicking noises, and the flashing light is occasional. Maybe I'll try plugging everything back in and trying it again. What's the worst that can happen, lol?

Old 05-22-2008, 03:54 PM

Holy shit it's working again! I attached the hd and battery back to the motherboard and tried turning it on and it worked! Strange how it went kaput in the first place... I don't know what happened, but now it works and I am so happy!

Thank you all for your help! [and for the advice against intentionally dropping it and the warning against freezing it. I won't do that again!]

Edit: but now it's no longer connecting properly to my computer D: Screw this. I'll just sell it for parts.

Edit2: and now it's back to clicking and flashing again. Fuck.

Last edited by jay.d; 05-22-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Old 05-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Fantastic. You better count yourself extremely fortunate. However, there is no telling how long this good fortune will last with it considering all that has happened. If it works now after taking it apart and putting it back together, perhaps it was related to a loose connection or two or a pat in the right spot on the hard drive to free up the heads. Even still, the clicking sure sounds like a hard drive mechanically failing.

Edit: Oh, damn. I just refreshed after posting and saw your edits..... The good news out of this is it sounds like you may just have to replace the hard drive to get your ZVM back. This may help:

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here is the hard drive replacement thread.

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 05-31-2008, 03:45 AM

Default Zen won't respond

I stuck in quite a quagmire. I have a vision M that I absolutely adore. However, a few days ago it fell out of my pocket and onto the floor. Even though I have the protective silicone skin for it, it has been malfunctioning since. When it isn't plugged in, it is completely unresponsive. When I plug it in to the USB the blue light on the top blinks rapidly. When i hit the power switch the it continues to blink but at a slower rate. My computer does not recognize that the player is plugged in. Strangely enough, when it is plugged in and I hit the reset button, it stops blinking. So I know that it is at least recognizing the power button and the reset button. However, I am seeing no other signs of life. I even let it charge overnight and still no change. Any solutions?

The thing that sucks the most is that my warranty on the damn thing ran out just a week and half ago. Great timing.

Last edited by crazypaki; 05-31-2008 at 03:53 AM.

Old 05-31-2008, 08:46 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You may want to try opening it up and making sure the battery and hard drive connectors aren't loose first.

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.

Zen FAQ

Old 06-02-2008, 03:36 PM

UPDATE - After leaving my Zen alone for almost two weeks, I connected it to my computer via the USB cable... and it started charging. After allowing it to charge for a period of time, I unplugged it, and it worked. It seems to be working fine now... although the battery life seems to have degraded. I am relieved, and I hope it stays "fixed".

cheers,
jlb

Old 06-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great! Good to hear. You should consider purchasing a replacement battery now. I believe you can pick them up on places like EBay and Amazon. Changing them can be a little technical, but pretty easy; especially if you follow a guide.

You should be able to replace it using this guide (up to step 3).
Here is a YouTube video of the battery being replaced.

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 06-02-2008 at 05:48 PM.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:23 PM

Glad it was working. I have seen the same problem with a few zens and found 2 things that seem to work.

1) I gave a zen to a technician at my work. He took the back off but with the battery plugged in. Then connected to wires to the pins of the battery connecter and applied voltage. Removed the voltage and zen stayed on! worked fine after.

2)This was something i found. Leave the zen to charge for about 30mins to 1 hours. Put the zen in Recovery mode with mains in. Set it to clean up and when it starts pull the mains out. Don't ask y but it seem to work.

Old 06-02-2008, 04:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

1. How much voltage was applied to the battery?

Zen FAQ

Old 06-02-2008, 06:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

One reason for the appearance of degraded battery life may be that the battery meter has become uncalibrated. I have instructions in the FAQ subforum on how to recalibrate the meter.

Good luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Here are my thoughts on battery meter recalibration (I think I posted this elsewhere...):

I'm not really a full believer in the recalibration of lithium-ion batteries that are not made as a "smart battery" (batteries that have an internal micro-chip that constantly monitors its SoC (State of Charge) and the SoH (State of Health) by always being connected and having its digital sensing circuit receiving power from the battery. Recalibration of their "digital memory" is critical for allowing the most accurate measurement and read-out of the fuel gauge. However, for "dumb batteries" (batteries that do not have an internal micro-chip that constantly monitors SoC and SoH; what is in the ZVM), their SoC is predicted based on the discharge curve (Voltage vs. Time) for the type of battery since it may not always be connected and detecting the battery's power. <O</O

Zen FAQ

Old 06-08-2008, 10:27 PM

Lightbulb Now what?

I've had my Zen Vision:M for a while and really had no issue with it. I love the codecs it plays and battery life,but with no support for the device, what now?

How long are you guys going to hold on to your Zen? I reformatted the computer and have spent way too much time trying to get the syncing back working again. I used to use some software called redchair which worked well but its no longer working.

on the forum postings, all i see is promise of some great zen software which no one has, and problems, lots of problems....

so, now what? if you had to replace your zen today, what would you get?

Tags
battery, clicking, dying, firmware, flashing blue light, over heat, replacement, usb charge msc problem