android
Old 04-18-2008, 11:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. I think you will be just fine doing it yourself and saving $125. Just take your time, be gentle, keep track of parts and what you did and you will be fine. Try searching around for more info if you need to. Good luck!

This should help.

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-19-2008, 12:15 AM

Oops, I read what you guys wrote wrong... I just realized that you're still saying the whole motherboard has to be replaced...

Anyway..I just looked on ebay & can't find a replacement at all.

I may have to go the $125 route..

Old 05-04-2008, 04:20 PM

Help new battery - blue flashing light/ black screen

Ive searched these threads and tried suggestions. my old battery is losing its charge. I ordered a new one( Hong Kong replacement), plugged into front desktop usb port( like always) overnight... still only got blue light and blk screen. Tried new usb cable, wall converter ( 5v 1A) to usb for the dongle adapter for 3hrs... no difference. tried usb port in back of computer...no diff. was considering a new different ( IPod) player and decided to take it apart ( 5th time) to check wiring, plug,etc and holding the on button w/ battery unplugged and replugging to get some activity on the lcd.....no change. I decided to put the old battery back in. It worked fine. computer recognized it right away and started charging it immediately. I know my original battery is weak. Is the new battery junk (is so are there any good replacements out there - took a week to get this one) or does it need longer (day to weeks) to charge up. I have the latest firmware for a while now.
Has anyone changed their battery successfully?

Old 05-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like you got a battery that may have been sitting with too low of a charge for too long; the voltage protection circuit kicked it and is now preventing it from being charged back up correctly....... or it could simply be just a bad or wrong type of battery. I would look into getting another replacement battery (possibly from a different source).

Zen FAQ

Old 05-05-2008, 06:25 AM

thanks for suggestion . nice to pick someone elses brain who knows what they're talking about.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey, no problem. Post back and let eveyone know an update. Good luck and welcome to ABI!

Zen FAQ

Old 05-19-2008, 01:58 PM

Unhappy Same Problem

When I read your post, I knew exactly what you were talking about... since I started having the same problem two days ago. I have tried every type of fix... no joy! It has been very frustrating... and I think the only fix will be a trip back to the factory. Still hoping for something...

jlb

Old 05-19-2008, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just a thought: Have you tried reloading the firmware from Recovery Mode?

If you usually update your firmware by simply plugging in the player and launching the firmware updater, problems from the older firmware may still make it through (such as the volume restriction even when updating from European to US versions, and the infamous charging bug from v1.40.xx). Before sending your player in, try reloading the firmware through Recovery Mode and see if that makes a difference.

Old 05-20-2008, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the advice, Zen Chick... but I tried to reload the firmware, and it did not work. I am open to any other ideas... have a great day!

jlb

Old 05-20-2008, 07:58 PM

Unhappy dying zen? flashing blue light/clicking, doesn't turn on

Hello! I've a problem

It worked just fine today, didn't drop it or anything, but when I went to turn it on just now, it won't.
I'll hold the sliding button to on for ten seconds plus, but nothing happens. When I plug it into my computer using the usb cord, the blue light will flash. Upon holding it near my ear, I hear a constant ticking/scratching noise in sync with the light flashing.

Hard reset does nothing, since it doesn't turn on. The battery was at least 3/4s full, maybe even 80% last I checked this morning.

My question: is it kaput? Dead? Has this happened to anyone else's zen? More importantly, can it be fixed? I feel naked without it already

Old 05-21-2008, 03:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Let it charge for a while and see what happens.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:22 PM

So on the advice of a friend, I placed it in the freezer last night and tried again to rouse my little zen to no avail. I then tried the ipod-standard way of fixing broken players--dropping in from four feet onto the floor. Still no go.

Lastly, I tried your advice. It kept clicking for an hour and did pretty much nothing.
So I have come to the belief that it has moved on to greener pastures.

[memorial service will be held on Saturday at 11am EST ]

E: out of curiosity [and to fund my next player purchase], can it still be sold? I mean, with the hard drive mostly dead is there any part/s people would want?

On that thought, do you know if there is there any way to recover files from the HD, or at least format it?

Last edited by jay.d; 05-21-2008 at 02:55 PM. Reason: To ask another question

Old 05-21-2008, 03:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You could try replacing the hard drive yourself. It's not a particularly hard procedure. There are a number of threads in the Hacks & Mods subforum dedicated to hard drive replacements, including increasing to higher capacities.

Best of luck!

Old 05-21-2008, 03:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.d View Post
So on the advice of a friend, I placed it in the freezer last night and tried again to rouse my little zen to no avail. I then tried the ipod-standard way of fixing broken players--dropping in from four feet onto the floor. Still no go.
Charging a working froze Lithium-ion battery or even while it is below freezing temperature should be avoided because plating of lithium metal could occur. However, if your battery is dead, you will most likely just end up with a frozen dead battery.
<O
As for the drop..... A simple tap or hit with a light screw driver or a small rubber mallet would have suficed, but should have only been done as a last resort. I believe there were more steps to have been taken before reaching that resort. There is a good chance your battery and your hard drive may be ruined now. At least before, you may have just had a bad battery that could have easily been replaced or just a bad hard drive. Now both may be in need of replacement. <O
<O
Quote:
Lastly, I tried your advice. It kept clicking for an hour and did pretty much nothing. <O

It would have been better to have left it charging for a few hours (maybe even all day) to see if would finally power on. Originally, I was just wondering if it didn't shut off completely the last time you used it and when you went to turn it on, the battery was drained. If the battery was discharged quite a bit, it would have taken much longer to charge via USB. An AC adapter would be more beneficial for charging in this particular situation however. <O
<O
Quote:
E: out of curiosity
Quote:
and to fund my next player purchas, can it still be sold? I mean, with the hard drive mostly dead is there any part/s people would want?
</O
<O
Absolutely. If you don't want to repair it, there is always EBay.<O</O

Zen FAQ

Last edited by BobbyRS; 05-21-2008 at 03:49 PM.

Old 05-21-2008, 03:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay.d View Post
I then tried the ipod-standard way of fixing broken players--dropping in from four feet onto the floor.
I'm not sure which I find more disturbing: That you resorted to dropping the player, or that this is standard procedure for fixing iPods!

Old 05-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
or that this is standard procedure for fixing iPods!
I know of another way, but it involves a sledge hammer, gasoline, and some matches.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-21-2008, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
I'm not sure which I find more disturbing: That you resorted to dropping the player, or that this is standard procedure for fixing iPods!
Well that's what my sister does for her ipod, so I figured if it worked for her, it might work for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I know of another way, but it involves a sledge hammer, gasoline, and some matches.
Ah, Viking burial! My favorite kind of interment!

Quote:
Charging a working froze Lithium-ion battery or even while it is below freezing temperature should be avoided because plating of lithium metal could occur. However, if your battery is dead, you will most likely just end up with a frozen dead battery.
Ah, I didn't know. He said he did that for his computer hd to get the files off before it died completely, and I assumed it would've worked for me. All I really wanted to do was get my movies off there, as I have no backup for them.

Quote:
As for the drop..... A simple tap or hit with a light screw driver or a small rubber mallet would have suficed, but should have only been done as a last resort. I believe there were more steps to have been taken before reaching that resort. There is a good chance your battery and your hard drive may be ruined now. At least before, you may have just had a bad battery that could have easily been replaced or just a bad hard drive. Now both may be in need of replacement.
Oops. Crap. Yet strange enough there seems to be little damage or change to my zen. It keeps clicking and flashing the light. \(0.o)/

Quote:
Originally, I was just wondering if it didn't shut off completely the last time you used it and when you went to turn it on, the battery was drained.
I'll give this another go. On closer and longer examination the ticking sounds electronic rather then mechanical. Perhaps my first conclusion of broken HD was too hasty.

Or else I'll just give up and sell it on ebay. It's been a good 1 year and six months while it lasted. How long are vision: ms alleged last anyway?

Old 05-21-2008, 07:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Ah, I didn't know. He said he did that for his computer hd to get the files off before it died completely, and I assumed it would've worked for me. All I really wanted to do was get my movies off there, as I have no backup for them.
You can try opening it up and removing the hard drive. You can then buy a USB enclosure for it and connect it to the computer to see if it is still working or not. However, it sounds like it may be dead. The battery may still be fine if charged long enough since the blue light is still flashing.

Quote:
Oops. Crap. Yet strange enough there seems to be little damage or change to my zen. It keeps clicking and flashing the light.
Well, you would get that if the drive was bad before the drop even.

Try letting it charge overnight and see if it ever responds.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-21-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
You can try opening it up and removing the hard drive. You can then buy a USB enclosure for it and connect it to the computer to see if it is still working or not. However, it sounds like it may be dead. The battery may still be fine if charged long enough since the blue light is still flashing.
Maybe I'll try replacing the hd entirely. I've pretty much outgrown the 30 gb capacity.

Quote:
Try letting it charge overnight and see if it ever responds.
Okay, I'll try this. Hopefully not all is lost!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

OK guys, dropping it is not the standard way of fixing an iPod either, it's the same, just a tap. It does indeed sound like his HD is bad, I remember when I had my Zen Touch that dropping it after the HD went bad, made it work again for a few minutes
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Tags
battery, clicking, dying, firmware, flashing blue light, over heat, replacement, usb charge msc problem