android
Old 01-14-2008, 04:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It sounds like your battery needs recalibration. To do this, allow the battery to drain to the point where the player cuts out, then completely charge it to full. You may have to repeat this cycle a few times before the meter is in sync with the actual battery condition again.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-15-2008, 03:08 AM

Do you think this is the problam? The zen is new of ebay and I'm worried I've brought a dud

Old 01-21-2008, 01:18 PM

Default Player not charging

My Vision:M will not charge and I cannot figure out what the issue is. I've tried multiple computers and have tried a portable battery charger. Nothing seems to work. Any ideas?!?!? Thanks.

-Matt

Old 01-21-2008, 02:00 PM

is it new? was the portable charger USB or through the DC jack?
check out http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=13982

Old 01-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Portable battery charger???

Old 01-24-2008, 04:07 AM

I was wondering if your zen is still working with that 1.41.01 firmware. I recently purchased the same battery (not knowing the problems) and am unable to get it to work. It displays main of the same symptoms as yours did. Mine, when I first plugged it in (ac/dc) showed a flashing battery, it just kept flashing for a few hours and never moved. I unplugged it and it immediately died and displayed low battery warning. Strangely, I was off and on getting the solid "plug" icon when I would plug in my (ac/dc) wire. After I reflashed back to 1.41.01 (removed old firmware from cleanup menu first) I got the flashing battery, yet still no sign of a charge. I decided to give the other Zen I had a try with the same battery (this one I didn't flash to 1.41.01 because I had yet to read this post) and it did the same thing, I got the solid "plug" icon. Anyone else out there have any luck with the Cameron Sino battery, I can't believe they wouldn't be more complaints about these batteries if they only work on 1.41.01 firmware or in my case they don't work at all. Let me know if anyone can think of anything.

I have:
- Reformatted (did nothing but cause me the headache of reloading all material)
- Cleanup + Reboot - Didn't do anything
- Tried newest, 1.41.01 and 1.60.? firmware to no avail.
- Plugged into PC (displayed flashing battery (but after 6 hours didn't do anything)

The battery was new in package, but I am thinking there is a defect. I have taken that Zen apart and put it together about 8 times (every time I put it back together I read a new idea and get a itch to give it a try). Let me know what you people think.

Also, I know it is not the player because my original battery still works (or I would have just kept the player apart each time I disassembled it), it just doesn't hold a charge quite like it used to.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:39 PM

Default Zen only works when plugged in to a/c adaptor. Sudden battery death?.

Hi there!

I know there are a hundred battery and charging posts on here but I searched and searched and couldn't solve my problem, so here goes.

My player is functioning fine yesterday but the battery drains and dies on me on the train home. So I get in and I plug the player in to my a/c adaptor (within the acceptable voltage limits although not a creative issue adaptor) and the charging symbol flashes up and away it goes.

Later on I decide I want to load a few albums from my Dad's computer on to the player. My Dad's computer doesn't have any of the creative software on it but it does have media player so I plug in my zen to the pc (as well as to the a/c adaptor which I am only just learning is a bad thing). I sync the zen up to media player which I have never done before and use it to transfer some albums but then media player crashes so I drag and drop the remaining folders of music from my harddrive to my zen.

The zen updates and all is well.

BUT then the zen is no longer showing charging symbol but the little plug symbol. When I unplug it from the a/c adaptor it dies.

Now, when I try to turn it on without it being plugged into anything (not the computer via USB or the a/c adaptor) it doesn't do anything. No blue light, nada. When I plug it solely into the computer via the USB the blue light flashes and the zen clicks like it's trying to boot but failing.

When I plug it in to the a/c adaptor it boots fine! Only it displays the little plug symbol and not the charging symbol. I left it over night in case it was still charging but in the morning it had switched itself off but was still dead unless it was connected to the adaptor.

Now, I tried downloading the latest firmware, seeing as it connects to the pc okay, but that didn't help.

I can't try booting it in recovery mode as I can't get to the reset button when I have the power plugged in, and without the power connected it doesn't do anything (nothing it all, it's completely devoid of life).

Did the battery give up on me? I would suspect this more strongly if it hadn't been working fine up until I started loading stuff on to it. Did I kill it by fiddling about dragging and dropping files? But it seems like more of a hardware issue to me.

Aargh! Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me...

Old 01-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Ultra Senior Member

* Almoxil scratches his head. *

Very strange. It has symptoms of a faulty battery or charging circuit. How long have you had your player before the issue?

One thing you could try is getting or borrowing (better) an AC adapter which plugs directly into the bottom port; I have one from Gomadic and it works just fine. That way, you could plug your player into mains power and still be able to stick a clip into the reset hole to get to the recovery mode. I'm not sure whether formatting or cleaning-up your ZV:M will help solving the problem, though.

Sorry for not being more helpful.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:36 PM

Default Zen Vision: M won't charge or show blue light

Hi everyone,

I have almost driven myself crazy with my Zen Vision: M. I had absolutely no problems with my player. I stopped using it for a while, but would periodically turn it on to make sure everything was alright.

Well, the other day, I tried to turn it on, and it was dead. I connected it to the USB and plugged it into my computer. Would not turn on, no blue light and no charging.

So, I read on some of the various pages, and I found that the USB just does not give it enough juice to let it turn on and be recognized by the computer to continue the charge and allow it to be recognized by my computer.

No problem, I read that I should get the AC charger. Of course, the creative charger is a lot of $, so I go to Ebay and get one. Plug it in, and immediately the player turns on. Great! So I turn it off (so it can charge) and there is no blue light still, and no charging.

While it is on, the power plug icon is in the upper left corner, no battery icon.

So, its been charging for a while now, but no blue light, and no nothing.

It seems to me that the battery is dead and just won't take a charge, as it turns on when plugged in, but will not turn on when hooked to the USB and won't turn on without being plugged into the AC adapter.

Should I just try to replace the battery?

I'm really going crazy, because I love this player and don't want to have to buy another.

Can someone give me some advice?

Thanks!

Johnny

Old 01-30-2008, 12:30 AM

Let it charge over-nite.... if the batt is extremely low, the USB connection may not be giving it full power yet.. after it gains a little charge the USB power should up itself to the full 5 volts. The power plug being on is telling you that it is at least getting some power.. which is a good sign.

But let it charge for a good 8 hrs to see if it will come back to life before panicking..

Lithium-ion batteries should be stored charged.. leaving them un-charged (depleted) for long periods of time has a tendency to kill them..

Old 01-30-2008, 06:20 AM

Yeah that's pretty much confirming what I thought. I've had the player a year and six months or there abouts and yeah, I've dropped it a couple of times, but nothing particularly recently. As I say, it seemed to be working fine until I unplugged it from the charger and it died!

I suspect it really is the battery, but I'll try to get hold of an alternative adaptor so I can give recovery mode a whirl.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM

My suggestion? Bring it back to the store you bought it from and explain what happened.

They should give you a repair, replacement or refund [in that order btw]

If all else fails buy a new battery on ebay [or somewhere similar] open her up and replace it yourself [I'm in the process of replacing my HDD after I smashed it to pieces... literally] its really simple. Just be warned that opening the player voids your warrenty so try the shop, then creative... then dissecting your baby.

Let us know how you get on and good luck!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:03 AM

When I first got my Zen it was dead as a dodo! I left it on charge for a full 24hrs before anything ever happened.

Like Utew said, they really like to be charged, and charged regularly even if not in use, because [as is my experience] the battery does deplete even when its left sitting there not being used.

If I'm not using my zen, I usually have it plugged into my laptop, more out of habit than necessity to be honest, but it keeps it charged. When you get it back up and running maybe you'd consider doing that =] So you'll never have this problem again

If nothing happens. Come back to us We'll help ya out

Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 PM
Banned

The problem here is that the Zen is not recognizing the battery. To the Zen, the battery is not there. That's why the black plug icon is appearing. Its getting power but it cannot charge the battery because the Zen thinks the battery is not there.

This could mean 2 things:
1) Your battery is completely dead and cannot recharge anymore, and needs to be replaced, or
2) The circuit that controls battery charging is malfunctioning. This would require a motherboard replacement.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hiya, Kitty, and Welcome to ABi!

As I read through your problem, it sounded just like the classic charging bug that affected players with V1.40.xx firmware; however, once you stated you updated the firmware, that went out the window.

Just to reassure you a little bit: You've done nothing wrong to the player. The worst that could happen from having Media Player crash on you is that it could mess up your player's database - nothing that can't be fixed with a Disk Cleanup or Reformat; however, it's not going to cause charging problems.

Having the player plugged into both USB and a DC wall adapter will not harm your player either. The player was designed adequately enough to prevent any such problems from happening.

So, I believe what we're dealing with here, is a battery that can no longer take a charge. Although most Li-ion batteries can last for two years or more, given the age of your player, it's still a good possibility.

Old 01-30-2008, 03:52 PM

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone.

Its been charging for about 24 hours now. No blue light, no charging indicator on screen...nothing!

As long as it is plugged in, it will turn on, but absent that, nothing at all.

Is it a dead battery? Can I just replace it and be done?

Thanks so much!

Johnny

Old 01-30-2008, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The fact that you don't get a blue light at all is rather disturbing. It could very well just mean that the battery is completely shot and the charging circuit effectively never comes on; but it could very well mean the charging circuit itself is defective.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:06 PM

Ok, so its either A) Charging Circuit is dead or B) Battery is dead or C) both battery and charging circuit are dead.

Is there any way that I can see whether it is my charging circuit, or only the battery, or do I need to try to fix the battery, and if that doesn't work, assume that it is the charging circuit?

If the charging circuit is dead...can I fix that or is that a manufacturer thing?

Thanks again!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:20 PM

Can anyone help me?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:57 AM

At this point cnfdrate1, I'd say it isn't looking good for the battery.. and most likely it's a "dodo" as anomo, sadly but eloquently put it...

It will be hard to diagnose the charging circuity (as ZenChick mentioned), without knowing the board layout and specs and a VOM for testing. The other way is to buy a battery and see if it's just a dead batt.. which would be my guess..... sorry......

the ZVM's battery is not exactly user replaceable, but it can be done with a bit of patience and work, if you feel up to it.

Just on the outside chance that your AC adapter is defective.. I'd try one more thing.. plug in the Zen USB cable into one of your PC's back USB ports and again, let it charge for quite a few hours. It's a long-shot, but you have nothing to lose at this point. My assumption being the AC adapter is malfunctioning and not supplying enough juice to charge.... like I said.. a long-shot.
Good Luck!

Tags
battery, clicking, dying, firmware, flashing blue light, over heat, replacement, usb charge msc problem