android
Old 02-11-2010, 08:41 AM

Hello,

I'm sorry if this is allready asked, but I did not have the patience to read through 20 pages......

I own a CZVM 30GB and I've been very happy it for 2 years now. But recently I accidently dropped my charger in my tea (stupid) and then tried to connect my Zen with it again (even more stupid). It didn't work anymore, so I bought a new charger, but this one didn't work either. I think the charger-entrance in my zen is broken. I e-mailed the servicedesk but they said they couldn't help since they don't have chargers in stock at the moment.
Does anyone here know if and how I can repair this myself?

thanks,
Marjolein

PS sorry if my English isn't good, I'm from the Netherlands.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-30-2010, 05:37 PM

Ok...potentially dumb question, but, well...I haven't seen an answer in this thread, unless I missed it, which is entirely possible...so apologies in advance if this has already been addressed.

Like many others I had a Zen V:M 30 gig 1.62.02 that wouldn't charge. Replaced the batt, new batt wouldn't charge. I was finally able to downgrade to 1.41.01 and, low and behold, the batt has been charging, as it now has a full charge. My question is this...is it safe to reinstall the latest firmware or will that just put me right back where I started?

Old 10-17-2010, 05:30 PM

Default Firmware downgrade then upgrade battery change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammnizzle View Post
Ok...potentially dumb question, but, well...I haven't seen an answer in this thread, unless I missed it, which is entirely possible...so apologies in advance if this has already been addressed.

Like many others I had a Zen V:M 30 gig 1.62.02 that wouldn't charge. Replaced the batt, new batt wouldn't charge. I was finally able to downgrade to 1.41.01 and, low and behold, the batt has been charging, as it now has a full charge. My question is this...is it safe to reinstall the latest firmware or will that just put me right back where I started?
I am now in the position as above. Need to know if i downgrade to 1.41.01 to get the battery to charge. Can i go back to 1.61.02
Any information would be helpfull
many thanks in advance
csteve (uk)

Old 10-17-2010, 07:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

you'll need to leave the firmware downgraded.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:13 AM

I have had a ZVM 60 and 30 for many years, I just recently made a discover about the firmware and battery problem. One thing for people to try just rolling the date back to 2005. I noticed this cause it seemed the unit would always charge back to full after completely dying (to the point where the internal clock would default) then shortly after setting the date to current date the unit would quickly discharge then die and not charge again.
So for those who don't want to or can't downgrade the firmware try setting the system date back a couple years. its 2011 now if you want to maintain your calendar set to 2005 and the dates will all match.

The Firmware on my Zen is 1.62.02

One has to wonder if Creative set the firmware to self destruct after a preset date.

Last edited by Jdevlin; 08-14-2011 at 10:52 AM.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:19 PM

Ok simple question which battery is compatible w/ my 60g Zen? Dire need it only lasts 30 at best on a full charge.

Old 03-27-2012, 12:32 AM

Default battery replacement and firmware downgrade issues

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some assistance/suggestions!

Here's my scenario. I have 30GB ZV:M and I just recently purchased a replacement 1500mAh battery as my battery life has been relatively short recently.

I left the new battery to charge on my AC adapter overnight. In the morning, it still wasn't charged (the lightning bolt was flashing, but the battery bar still only had the red empty bar).

So I figured the new battery might require me to downgrade my firmware to 1.41.01. When I tried to downgrade, I got the error message that "your battery levels are too low, please charge your batteries before you proceed". I even get this message when the ZVM is plugged into the wall with the AC adapter (i.e., there shouldn't be any power shortages). I also tried firmware versions 1.40.02, 1.30.02, 1.11.01 (all from http://dapjukebox.altervista.org/mod...=dateD&show=10), but they either didn't recognize that the ZVM was connected or encountered the low battery error.

I went in to recovery mode and did a "cleanup" and tried again - still no success. I also tried the "reload the firmware" option, but the only firmware I could get back on were versions 1.50.02 or newer, since these firmware executables don't seem to get hung up on the low battery warning.

So, I tried to put my old battery back in, but it also wouldn't charge at all. However, I think I fried the original battery when I first took it out of the ZVM. I say this, because when I was taking it out I bent the battery and then it got really hot (I must have shorted something).

The ZVM does power on and function properly when hooked up to the AC adapter. It is recognized by the computer and everything. However, as soon as I unplug the AC adapter, it shows the low battery screen and quickly shuts off. It will not run if just hooked up to my PC via USB, without the AC adapter.

So, I'm stuck. I can't use my old battery to downgrade the firmware, and the new one won't charge to a high enough level to get past the low battery level.

I have found references to something called the Creative Wizard which historically has allowed one to use a modified firmware file to update the ZVM. However, the pimpmyzen site no longer exists and I can't find either the Creative Wizard or the means to extract the necessary .bin files from the original firmware executables.

My questions are:
1) Is there any way to get passed the low battery error during the firmware downgrade?
2) Could I have mucked up the charging circuit? I'm pretty sure I had the old battery unplugged before I accidentally bent it and it started getting hot.
3) Has anyone gotten passed a similar situation? If so, what did you do?
4) Should I try the "format" option in recovery mode? I'd prefer not to.

Short of getting another replacement battery I can't think of what to do. I'm in communication with the ebay seller where I got the battery. They are keen to help me, either by sending me another battery or by giving me a refund. Should I try another one from them? Last night I also ordered a 1400mAh model from Hong Kong.

Any suggestions/insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Slow

Last edited by slow1234; 04-23-2012 at 10:01 PM. Reason: added more details

Old 03-29-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow1234 View Post
Short of getting another replacement battery I can't think of what to do. I'm in communication with the ebay seller where I got the battery. They are keen to help me, either by sending me another battery or by giving me a refund. Should I try another one from them? Last night I also ordered a 1400mAh model from Hong Kong.
So, I've given up on the 1500mAh battery. Fortunately, I got a refund for it and hopefully the 1400 mAh one I ordered a few days ago will work OK. From reading various forums there appear to be fewer compatibility issues with batteries that are 1400 mAh or lower.

In the meantime, the seller of the 1500 mAh battery said I didn't have to return it, so I might try to replace the battery control card with the one from my old faulty battery, as per the instructions at http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...4&postcount=41. We'll see how it goes!

Old 04-23-2012, 09:55 PM

Default success with the 1400mAh battery

I finally received the 1400mAh Cameron Sino battery from the Hong Kong ebay seller (battery was actually shipped from Singapore though).

It works great with the 1.62.02 firmware. I am very happy to have my Zen back!!

Last edited by slow1234; 04-23-2012 at 10:01 PM.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 AM

Out of curiosity, I downgraded the firmware to 1.41.01, installed the 1500mAh battery and the ZenV:M worked. I am going to keep this one in for a bit; the battery life with the 1400mAh wasn't great even though it was 'new'.

Last edited by slow1234; 05-19-2012 at 01:35 AM.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:54 PM

Ok.

I bought a Cameron Sino 1700mAh battery for my 60Gb ZVM. The firmware is 1.21.02e on the Zen.

The new battery wont take a charge. Either via USB cable or mains adapter.

Anyone any tips to offer??

James H

Old 07-09-2013, 11:10 PM

I believe you have to downgrade to 1.41.01 first in order for the battery to work. I recently upgrade the hard drive to 120GB and replace the battery. I had to downgrade to 1.41.01 first and then install the battery then hard drive.

Last edited by Dana88; 07-09-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 PM

Default Help!

Can anyone post a link to a nv.bin file from a 1.40.01 firmware? I am stuck trying to downgrade so that my third party battery works. I lost the original battery, and am getting the "Battery too low" error when trying to downgrade.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james73 View Post
Ok.

I bought a Cameron Sino 1700mAh battery for my 60Gb ZVM. The firmware is 1.21.02e on the Zen.

The new battery wont take a charge. Either via USB cable or mains adapter.

Anyone any tips to offer??
Can anyone help me out with ^this issue??

James H

Tags
battery, clicking, dying, firmware, flashing blue light, over heat, replacement, usb charge msc problem