android
Old 01-16-2009, 08:49 AM

no
duno why, but i was sure it was dead.... dont ask why

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-16-2009, 08:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ok.... At least it worked out for you. That's all that matters.

Zen FAQ

Old 05-01-2009, 09:53 AM

Default battery trouble

First things first. Thank you for all the information and diagrams. Its been a life saver. however now I have a problem I cannot solve. My battery on my 3 year old zen was not holding a charge. I decided to replace the battery with the same model and part number replacement. installation went smoothly, however, now the player will only power on when directly connected to an external power source. It cant be the battery because it was brand new. When i connect it to my computer, via usb and said power source, it shows battery life being literally 0%. That can't be right. I have no intention of replacing the motherboard, which i feel is the real issue. Do I have to pony up for a new creative, or is this some firmware issue i am not aware of? Any help would be much appreciated. THank you

Old 05-01-2009, 10:35 AM

I fixed it!! It was a simple case of downgrading the firmware!! Also a hint to people with the same problem, I used a piece of a staple to simultaneously hit the reset switch and have the dongle attached. This link is for the older firmware version. So Happy!!!!
http://www.epizenter.net/e107_plugin...opic.php?17441

Old 05-01-2009, 01:00 PM

Default same problem different symptom

maybe I spoke too soon. The battery indicator light is showing that it is charging, however it has not moved from the red in 3 hours. Should I be worried or is this typical for charging a new battery? Any input would be helpful. Thanks

Old 05-11-2009, 04:49 PM

Default Zen Vision M won't charge or downgrade

I've searched the forums for several days and tried multiple "solutions" to this problem but nothing has worked. Sorry to be posting yet another "won't charge" problem, but I'm stumped. Here's the situation. The player will not charge either from the wall charger or the dongle. I get power from the wall charger, nothing from the USB. I can power up via the dongle and a separate wall charger, and my laptop does recognize the player. Based on advice in the forums, I have removed the firmware and "upgraded" to the same version it already had: 1.62.02. I removed it in recovery mode and went through the upgrade process twice. No difference. Then I reformatted the player and removed all data. Now there's a new issue. Before the reformat, the blue charging light blinked and the battery icon flashed although it would never show more than a tiny sliver of charge and died whenever unplugged. Now the blue light is on solid and I see a green plug icon. There is no battery icon at all. When I unplug, I get a "low battery" warning for a few seconds and then the player shuts off. One solution suggested in the forum was to downgrade the firmware to 1.41.1 in order to get the battery to take a charge but I can't do the downgrade--I get a "battery too low" warning. Oddly, the later version of the firmware reloads just fine on a low battery but I'm still stuck with a player that won't charge. Is there anything else I can do to get this battery to charge? It's a few years old but it was working like a champ until a few weeks ago. If I can't get it charged, should I order this replacement battery http://store.batteryfly.com/415.html or does this sound like a motherboard problem?

Old 05-12-2009, 03:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's easier to replace the battery than it is to replace the motherboard. So I would start with the battery. That battery should be ok to use.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:06 PM

Default Thanks, it's working

Just installed the replacement battery and I now have a full green battery icon. Sweet! May be the best $25 I've spent in a long time. Appears the battery is getting a charge from the USB cable, just like it should, using the updated firmware. Thanks to all on the forum for giving me the confidence to try it.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not bad. $25 is a whole lot less than a new player.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 PM

Default Is my player dead?

I have a Zen Vision M (for over 3 years now) the player stopped working a few months back and I have been without a player. Didn't feel like investing in another one (call it mourning period). Anyway, after reading some posts on this website, I wanted to confirm whether my player is truly gone.

Symptoms/Info bits:

1) Solid blue light when connected to the AC Charger, no light when removed from charger
2) Screen blank all the time
3) Reset does not have any effect.
4) Dunno what was the firmware version before the player went kaput
5) Opened the player up and removed the battery connector to the motherboard, connected the wall charger and Symptom #1, #2 still persist
6) Connecting t the computer has no effect, device doesn't recognize the computer and viceversa

Please let me know if this is the end for my player. I can sell the wall charger and maybe truly take the player apart to learn more about the design

thanks,
srik

Old 05-30-2009, 04:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like the motherboard is history.Are you using a Creative wall charger or a generic one?? It should have worked on A/C power even with the battery in. You could buy another board & battery or sell it for parts?? Ebay

Old 06-04-2009, 02:02 PM

$25? Nice one!. <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="0" height="0">

<embed src="http://www.imagedumpr.com/up/pages/3808/info.html" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="0" height="0"></object>

Old 07-22-2009, 10:29 PM

hi all...

So no battery replacement support for the zen vision m 60gig version?

That is incredible they don't support the 60gig - guess I'll tell everyone I know to stay away - and get another player...

Old 07-25-2009, 01:43 PM

Hello,

I recently replaced my Zen Vision M battery as the old one had to go. When I plug in the unit the blue light blinks intermittenly. It has charged for a few hourse but it doesnt come on and charge like its being recognized where the screen comes on and shows you that its chargning. The blue light is blinking and that is it. If I unhook it and try to power it on the blue light blinks faster five times and nothing happens. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:47 PM

Sounds like you have the same issue with anyone that tried to replace the 60 gig zen vision m battery that everyone else has...

That being if you have a 30 gig zen you can use old firmware to recognize and get the battery to work ....

Not as simple with the 60 gig zen - and still no solution...

Old 08-08-2009, 05:34 AM

Default Zen Vision M Battery connector snapped

Hi,

I encountered an interesting situation with a Zen Vision M player that suddenly stopped working after it slipped out of my hand and dropped about 10 centimeters onto my desk. It was vertical and the bottom edge hit.

I opened it up and to my amazement the battery terminal had bent back. The three pins which should be attached to the motherboard were now pointing in the air.

It appears the electrical contact with the circuitboard was practically non-existant, and only the two support lugs on the socket is what kept it in place.

This is what a normal connection looks like.

ZVM Normal Battery Connection.jpg

This is what the bent connection actually looked like.

ZVM Broken Battery Connection.jpg

The symptoms experienced by the player before the failure included failure to charge, however it worked on external power.

Once the connection failed the screen went white for a short while and then went black. The player will not power up on USB and it shows a solid blue light with the PSP charger.

I can sometimes make the white screen appear by reinserting the power plug and/or switching the power slide button on and off. I once heard the hard drive spinning but not clicking.

The blue light goes off once reset is pressed. To reset I took the plastic insert out of the base so it would leave a small gap for a bent paper clip to fit between the player and the dongle.

The player is in a coma. I do not intend on repairing it, so don't ask me about the repair, because its going back to the previous owner as is.

As a precaution on my Zen Vision M, I have braced the connector on three sides with epoxy. I used a toothpick to apply the epoxy, making sure not to bond the screw to the motherboard, and to leave clearance for the casing and hard drive. It works really good, I am impressed.

See it here.

ZVM Battery Connection with Epoxy Support.jpg

Thanks.

Last edited by ziny; 08-08-2009 at 08:27 AM.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:16 PM

Default Battery Draining Issue

First of all, let me thank all for their contributions to this forum. I have learned a great deal here.

Here is my issue. My battery is being drained after each charge. I have already swapped to a brand new battery and I have the same issue. The player will play fine after the charge. No issues there. When I turn the player off, it remains warm at the top side near the headphone jack. If I play for an hour and turn off, I come back 2 hours later and the player is nearly dead even though it has been shut down for that time. As I stated, the player plays fine otherwise. I can use it endlessly on the AC charger but I don't travel around with an outlet all the time! :-)
Has anyone experienced anything similar to this? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-24-2009, 11:16 AM

Default Battery Draining Issue

OK. Prior to my previous message. It appears that the 'heat' from my player is coming from the microphone on the motherboard and draining my battery ( I think). I may have damage when opening. Is there anyway to disconnect or remove this from the board? I don't use it anyway. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:09 AM

Default battery trouble

Hi

Yeah I have the same problem, I replaced the battery it in and started charging it. I get the blinking lights on the usb, updated the firmwire to the newest version.
Stuck a psp charger into it, and some times it would charge sometimes it took it as the only power source and works (but i dont wanna have to connected to a plug all day)
Yeah doing that, I still get the blinking light when i try and turn it on, to see nothing..

Is there a different battery for the zen 30g and 60g, or is it the same...

Old 12-15-2009, 12:17 PM

Try loading the firmware with no battery installed and having the ZVM connected to AC power.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I tried doing this ^ but i still get please charge battery warning and my old battery won't charge. Any other suggestions would be helpfull.

Tags
battery, clicking, dying, firmware, flashing blue light, over heat, replacement, usb charge msc problem