android
Old 11-04-2008, 05:23 AM

Default Firmware 1.41.01

I downgraded to the above firmware and everything works fine with the new battery.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-04-2008, 05:28 AM

I downgraded to firmware 1.41.01 (from 1.62.02) and the new battery (cameron sino 3.7v 1700mAh) works fine.

This may be the only solution. To see if other firmwares affect a battery replacement the only option is to progressively upgrade to each new firmware and see what happens. However, if it aint broke dont fix it may be an appropriate addage now that I am in business.

Anubis04

Old 11-04-2008, 05:36 AM

@anubis01

Hello! I had exactly the same problem with a CS replacement battery and solved it by downgrading to 1.30.02: hearing that it should work even with 1.41.01 is a good thing; as soon as I would have some spare time, I would try to upgrade to 1.41.01 and see if the battery still works. Have a good day!

Old 11-04-2008, 05:51 AM

Default New battery solution

Gorno,

I downgraded to firmware 1.41.01 (from 1.62.02) and the new battery (cameron sino 3.7v 1700mAh) works fine.

This may be the only solution (if you buy a non oem battery). To see if other firmwares affect a battery replacement the only option is to progressively upgrade to each new firmware and see what happens. However, if it aint broke dont fix it may be an appropriate addage now that I am all systems go.

Anubis04

Old 11-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, I think your guys' experiences with this is pretty much confirming my thoughts here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
It really isn't so much about the firmware resolving the power issue, but more so of the firmware causing a fictitious power issue. Going from a thought I had here, I believe that during the process of reloading firmware and the manipulation of the ROM by the firmware, part of the changes in the instruction set sent would be this different calculated discharge-curve algorithm (Voltage vs. Time) used to calculate the different charge levels of the battery. This is where I believe the difference lies in the various firmware versions and why they seem to all report different readings for the battery meter. Hell, one firmware (1.40.xx) even had an acknowledged charging bug that caused a similar issue.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-04-2008, 08:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, see these two threads for more information (here and here).

Zen FAQ

Old 11-04-2008, 08:20 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, see these two threads for more information ( here and here).

Zen FAQ

Old 11-04-2008, 05:09 PM

Default Firmware updates

I couldnt resist, but I upgraded to firmware 1.62.02 last night with the new bat installed and yes, you guessed it, the unit would not power up. Logic suggested that my efforts would be futile (as is resistance... a little Star Trek Borg humour there)..anyway, I just had to satisfy my curiosity. That is how we learn I guess. I only have firmware 1.41.01 and 1.62.02 so I cant do a progressive test, may be worth while if you see some benefit in having more recent firmware, otherwise why bother.

If you do test other firmware remember, if you have probs after each firware upgrade, you will have to insert your old battery (to get the unit going again), downgrade to 1.41.01 and then reinstall the new battery and then try the next firmware update.

Anubis04

Old 11-04-2008, 10:17 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis04 View Post
I couldnt resist, but I upgraded to firmware 1.62.02 last night with the new bat installed and yes, you guessed it, the unit would not power up. Logic suggested that my efforts would be futile (as is resistance... a little Star Trek Borg humour there)..anyway, I just had to satisfy my curiosity. That is how we learn I guess. I only have firmware 1.41.01 and 1.62.02 so I cant do a progressive test, may be worth while if you see some benefit in having more recent firmware, otherwise why bother.
Thanks for the confirming Anubis04.

Quote:
If you do test other firmware remember, if you have probs after each firware upgrade, you will have to insert your old battery (to get the unit going again), downgrade to 1.41.01 and then reinstall the new battery and then try the next firmware update.
...and thanks for that bit of information.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-05-2008, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I only have firmware 1.41.01 and 1.62.02 so I cant do a progressive test

Anubis04
If you want to try some other fw versions, here they are:

http://dapjukebox.altervista.org/mod...=dateD&show=10

There are all the fw versions between v1.41.01 and v1.62.02 (be careful because not all the fw shown in that page are for the ZVM 30Gb: some of them are for the Zen Vision or the ZVM 60Gb). Have a good day!

Last edited by GuybrushThreepwood; 11-05-2008 at 03:18 PM.

Old 11-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, that's a good site for downloading older firmware. I've posted many times here. The firmware versions are known to work good.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-09-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuybrushThreepwood View Post
If you want to try some other fw versions, here they are:

http://dapjukebox.altervista.org/mod...=dateD&show=10

There are all the fw versions between v1.41.01 and v1.62.02 (be careful because not all the fw shown in that page are for the ZVM 30Gb: some of them are for the Zen Vision or the ZVM 60Gb). Have a good day!
Thanks for that.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:34 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Please feel free to update the thread when you can. I look forward to hearing from more people confirming the battery/firmware issue. Thanks.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-12-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Powers up only when docked

the zvm will work fine when docked but will not work on its on power. if i pull it off the dock it will turn off. if i put back on the dock it goes into rebuild mode and continue working. i plug into usb the blue light comes on but that it. it was droped before this happen.
thanks for any help! ! !

Old 11-12-2008, 05:11 PM

I think that it's a battery issue (perhaps the battery connector is disconnected from the motherboard due to the fall) though, reading that it rebuilds every time and that you've dropped it, it could be also an hard drive issue (but I tend to exclude it according to the other symptoms). Do you hear a strange clicking sound coming from the hard drive?

Old 11-13-2008, 08:19 AM

no strange click that i can tell. if i had a way to get the songs back on computer (songs were accidently erased on computer) i would send off for repair. the zvm will not turn on by the usb in order for me to drag songs back to computer. only the blue light comes on when hooked up to the usb.
how can i go inside and chk the battery disconnect and will i loose my songs by doing so?
thanks for ur reply! ! !

Old 11-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

So, when you say "docked" you do not mean connected to the USB port of the computer? So:

Docking Station: ZVM powers on fine.
USB: Only blue charging light flashes.

Sound correct? Just want to make sure that was clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuybrushThreepwood View Post
I think that it's a battery issue (perhaps the battery connector is disconnected from the motherboard due to the fall)
I agree with this. That is exactly what it sounds like to me. I would open up the ZVM and check the battery connection and possibly reseat it.

These should help:
Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here is a YouTube video of replacing the battery
Here is another YouTube video of replacing the battery

Zen FAQ

Old 11-16-2008, 04:52 AM

@anubis04

Have you tried some other fw versions with the Cameron Sino battery? Please, let us know something when you can. Thanks!

Old 11-16-2008, 11:04 PM

I updated to 1.60.01 and the battery was not recognised just like with 1.62.02, so I will not test 1.61.01 as I think it is safe to assume that the only firmware which will work is 1.41.01. Is there anyway to modify the firmware to recognise the higher mAh battery?

NOTE: The Cameron Sino bat I use is the 1750 mah version but be carful as it is slighly thicker that the first replacement battery I bought and it is a tight fit. The first replacement bat which I should have kept was exactly the same dimensions as the original OEM. I really wish Creative still made the zvm (or release 120gig version hehe). dont get me wrong, the zvm has a few failings, but that model suited me perfectly.

anubis04

Old 11-17-2008, 03:55 AM

Quote:
I updated to 1.60.01 and the battery was not recognised just like with 1.62.02, so I will not test 1.61.01 as I think it is safe to assume that the only firmware which will work is 1.41.01. Is there anyway to modify the firmware to recognise the higher mAh battery?
Haven't you tried the fw v1.51.01? It's between 1.41.01 and 1.60.01 and it could work... BTW, I've talked with some developers on the Rockbox forums and they said that it isn't impossible but very hard to do so I guess that we have to give up! If you have some spare time, try the 1.51.01 fw and let us know. Have a good day!

Tags
battery, clicking, dying, firmware, flashing blue light, over heat, replacement, usb charge msc problem