android
Old 09-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

With the settings I mentioned above, they should help get you the most out of runtime. If they don't appear to be helping as much anymore, then perhaps you may benifit from a new battery.

Couple more.... turn of the EQ, turn down the volume....

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-17-2008, 07:44 AM

Default Zen only starts when plugged into AC Wall Charger

Hi all, i have browsed through the forums but cant seem to find a definite answer to my problem. I recently did a backup of Zen Vision M 30GB and formatted the disk. After this i did a firmware upgrade and started copying the music files which went on ok. The next morning i noticed that i could not start it on unless it was plugged in to the wall charger. Plugging it in using USB also was negative and the device could not even be detected.

I have charged the battery fully using the wall charger but it still cannot start by iself. Only when it is plugged in to the wall charger is when it will start, what could my problem be? This device is 3 years old.

Any help would be appreciated.

PapaLee

Old 09-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello PapaLee. Welcome.

Keep in mind the ZVM will not be detected unless it is powered on and booted. The good news is that the mainboard appears to be working since it is charging the battery with the AC adapter. The bad news is looks as though you may need a new battery. Does the ZVM run on battery after starting with the AC adapter? If so, how long is the runtime? Have you recently upgraded the firmware?

Zen FAQ

Old 09-18-2008, 05:07 AM

Yes i did a firmware upgrade couple days ago right after i formatted it. The ZVM will only start when it is plugged into the AC adapter, it cannot run on battery at all. If you pull out the AC adapter, it goes off immediately. Otherwise when plugged into power, everything works very much ok. Guess i may need a new battery huh? Roughly how much are we talking cost wise in $$?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I would consider Reloading the firmware from within Recovery Mode and installing an older version for testing. Installing an older version has sometimes corrected the battery issue that may be taking place. (Older firmware versions here)

You may still very well need a new battery. They usually run anywhere from $15-$25. Try Google Shopping here. I would try and buy a OEM replacement over any other kind. They are the closest in being exact replacements. Some regular replacement batteries, although made for the ZVM, don't fit very well or the contacts don't line-up correctly; causing intermittent power issues.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-18-2008, 12:08 PM

Since my ZVM cannot start without the AC Adapter, i cannot get to the reset button because the dongle blocks it. I tried getting into Recover Mode when the dongle was out and as i'd imagined nothing happened because the battery is probably fried. Unless there is another way of getting into Recovery Mode without using the reset button? Can i invoke this mode from any of the ZVM Software Tools?

Old 09-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It can be done. It is just a little hard to do. You have to use the right tool and go in at the correct angle while having the sync adapter out a little.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-19-2008, 05:03 AM

so i guess i need to replace my motherboard.
but now i got an email from creative that they sell visions m for 117euro. so i was thinking, would it not be better to buy that one, put my 1700battery in and rock on
is a bit more money but just want to hear music
ty

Old 09-19-2008, 10:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boinius View Post
so i guess i need to replace my motherboard.
but now i got an email from creative that they sell visions m for 117euro. so i was thinking, would it not be better to buy that one, put my 1700battery in and rock on
is a bit more money but just want to hear music
ty
It's up to you. Depends on how much you could get an as-is ZVM for and use for parts, as well if you would replace yourself or pay someone to do it for you.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-25-2008, 04:12 PM

The last one week has been amazing, my local electronic store HAD the battery not on the shelves but somewhere in the Warehouse, they didnt even know they had it I just asked them to check by chance. So i got the new battery and started opening up the ZVM. I got 3 screws out but when i started unscrewing the fourth (and final) screw, the ZVM TURNED ON!!! It turns out the fourth screw was quite tight (i had opened it once before) so all i had to do was loosen and voila, the ZVM now works!!!

Old 09-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Ahh, great! It sounds as though the mis-tighening of the case being screwed together may have put add pressure on the battery to cause it to become misaligned with the contacts. Good to hear you got it resolved easily!

Zen FAQ

Old 10-06-2008, 07:28 PM

Default ZVM Battery

I bought a replacement from www.yankeeroo.com, http://www.yankeeroo.com/batteries/P...y-p-30783.html. The battery is a PAB-BA20603R79914 made by Master Instruments at http://www.master-instruments.com.au...603R79914.html.

It cost me AUD$20.63 + $9 postage and is a 3.7v 1700mAh Li-Poly. I could not get the battery to charge from the USB, but it will charge from using the supplied charger. I suspect that it will charge from the USB (and be recognised in explorer) once there is some charge in the battery. I may also have to re-install the drivers from the Creative setup disk.

Anubis04

Old 10-06-2008, 10:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The ZVM being an MTP device doesn't need any additional driver except what an MTP compatible operating system has for it. There is no need for any of the Creative software really. It may not be charging correctly because it either doesn't have enough charge on it and needs the higher charging current of the AC adapter or the driver is not loading properly in Windows. Until the driver loads (without error), it may only get 100mA from the USB bus for charging current. It isn't until after the driver loads correctly that it can pull 500mA for charging. Let it charge for a while until there is a good charge on the battery and then plug the ZVM in to see if it begins charging. I would verify in Device Manager that the driver is loading without error too.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-07-2008, 12:01 AM

Default ZVM Battery

Thanks BobbyRS. I tried charging for 6 hours with the AC adaptor, and the charging symbol was there for a while, then it went straight to AC power as if the battery was fully charged. On disconecting from AC, the battery was, of course, completely discharged. I suspect the battery may be faulty. I inserted the origianl battery and everything is OK. The original only lasts for about 1.5 hrs and is reducing steadily, that is why i need a new one. My player is 3.5 yrs old. I havnt tried updating the MTP driver as the battery wont charge from the AC anyway.

Anubis04

Old 10-07-2008, 12:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem.

Quote:
then it went straight to AC power as if the battery was fully charged.
Did it show the plug icon over the battery indicator?

Quote:
I suspect the battery may be faulty. I inserted the origianl battery and everything is OK. The original only lasts for about 1.5 hrs and is reducing steadily, that is why i need a new one.
Yeah, faulty or just not the correct size or making good contact. Seems to be a big problem with replacement batteries. I would try to stick with direct OEM replacements instead.

Quote:
I havnt tried updating the MTP driver as the battery wont charge from the AC anyway.
Remember, if WMP10 or WMP11 is installed, there is no need to update the driver. The Windows Media Framework/MTP gets installed on WinXP when WMP10 or WMP11 is installed. So as long as you have either one of those version of WMP installed, you don't need any additional software/driver.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-22-2008, 09:32 PM

Default ZVM Battery

Thanks Bobby RS. Yes I was getting the plug icon over the battery indicator (and the blue flashing light) with both batteries ONLY when I charged from the AC adaptor. I was only getting the blue falshing light when charging via the USB cabale.

However, I returned the original battery they sent me and they gave me a replacement, however, I had the same problems (I must assume that they did actually give me a different battery). I dont htink that Creative sell OEM Batteries anymore. Where elso could I buy one?

I suspect Creative have done some weird wiring like they do with their AV cabales that are not standard wiring so yiou have to buy a Creative AV cabale to connect to TV.

There are several sellers that sell non oem batteries. I may have to try one of them. What are Cameron Sino like as a replacement? I tried to look at their webiste but you need to register which I find unusual for just brousing their products.

Anubis04

Old 10-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis04 View Post
Thanks Bobby RS.
No problem.

Quote:
I dont htink that Creative sell OEM Batteries anymore. Where elso could I buy one?
Besides EBay...... not sure. Check out this thread that may help.

Quote:
I suspect Creative have done some weird wiring like they do with their AV cabales that are not standard wiring so yiou have to buy a Creative AV cabale to connect to TV.
Nah, I just think that replacement batteries aren't made correctly or up to the correct dimensions properly.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-25-2008, 12:30 PM

Default Replaced battery... won't start

Hey guys/gals I just bought a battery off ebay (not stock) and after I installed it and charged in via AC adaptor it would not start. When I slide the power switch on it blinks blue for a second then nothing. When I plug it into the pc I get no response. Whats up? Anyone have any ideas?

Old 10-26-2008, 03:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Replacement batteries seem to be hit or miss these days. A common problem with non-oem replacement batteries. Check out this thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-03-2008, 05:12 PM

Default Cameron Sino Battery

I bought a new CS battery from Hong Kong for AUD$30. I inserted the new battery and pluged it straight in to the AC for a full charge. I got the lflashing ighting bolt icon which indicares the battery is charging but everything stopped charging (the unit shut down) after about 3 hours with no charge in the battery. The specs for this bat are the same as the previous batts I bought, 1700mah & 3.7v. I am wondering if the battery charger is not suitable to charge the larger batter or if the larger capacity of the bat is just not compatible with the ZVM. The original bat is only 1250mah. I might have to try buying an OEM bat from the original manufacture in the UK as I am running out of options. I might even be able to get the local battery shop to make me one with the standard 1250mAh capacity. Would the firmare have anything to do with my problem I wonder. I could try and downgrade the firmware if that is possible and see if the battery charges properly. I have had 3 batteries now that wont charge and all have been 1700mAh and non OEM. I think there is something in that for all of us.

Tags
battery, clicking, dying, firmware, flashing blue light, over heat, replacement, usb charge msc problem