android
Old 08-11-2008, 03:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello wcluvslabs. It sounds like a classic sign of either just a depleted battery in need of a charge or a battery that will no longer hold a charge and needs replaced. You can try leaving it plugged in for a day or so to allow for a full charge to take place. It will take that long to charge via USB when the device is not turned on or enumerated by the computer's operating system. If after a full day of charging you still have the same issue, I would try replacing the battery. These should help:

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here are a few places to get a battery.

Good luck and enjoy China!

Zen FAQ

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-11-2008, 04:39 PM

Thanks BobbyRS,
I have left it plugged into the USB port for 36 hours and it still is not charged enough to come on. While it's plugged into the computer the charging light will come on for a few minutes and during that time you can start the player but it will not stay on for very long. The battery was holding a charge up until the time my plug in charger quit. I have ordered another wall charger and will try this when I get back to the states. If this doesn't work, I will go the new battery route. Do the batteries usually die all at once like this or do they start with a shortened battery life like other batteries do?

Old 08-11-2008, 04:46 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks BobbyRS,
No problem.

Quote:
I have left it plugged into the USB port for 36 hours and it still is not charged enough to come on. While it's plugged into the computer the charging light will come on for a few minutes and during that time you can start the player but it will not stay on for very long. The battery was holding a charge up until the time my plug in charger quit. I have ordered another wall charger and will try this when I get back to the states. If this doesn't work, I will go the new battery route.
It sounds like a good plan.

Quote:
Thanks BobbyRS,
I have left it plugged into the USB port for 36 hours and it still is not charged enough to come on. While it's plugged into the computer the charging light will come on for a few minutes and during that time you can start the player but it will not stay on for very long. The battery was holding a charge up until the time my plug in charger quit. I have ordered another wall charger and will try this when I get back to the states. If this doesn't work, I will go the new battery route.
Both. Some can begin to show diminished charge capacities, runtimes, and some can easily just stop taking a charge all together (or not holding enough under a load) with no signs of a warning while just previously working in the device it is installed in.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-12-2008, 04:32 AM

and what to do when your mainboard is down?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Have it replace or replace it your self by buying a type of as-is ZVM and doing a part swap.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-17-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
It's not uncommon to also get a replacement battery that may be too depleted if you have gotten one that has an older manufactured date and sitting for a while. You can try using a multimeter to see if the battery has a charge. Although it may show a charge, a battery won't show it's true charge unless placed under a load. As a lithium-ion battery gets older (used or not used), its internal resistance increases. This causes voltage drops under loads and reduces the amount of current capable of being supplied.

Keep in mind that it is also possible that you could be having a mainboard issue that can cause it not to charge the battery (bad charging cicuit or blown smd fuse).
Thanks for your reply.
The original battery still works fine and charges without any problem so my guess is that the mainboard is still in good working condition.
I think the batteries I received are too old and therefor damaged.
Will send it back one more time but my hopes are not too high that I will receive another one that will work.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
It's not uncommon to also get a replacement battery that may be too depleted if you have gotten one that has an older manufactured date and sitting for a while. You can try using a multimeter to see if the battery has a charge. Although it may show a charge, a battery won't show it's true charge unless placed under a load. As a lithium-ion battery gets older (used or not used), its internal resistance increases. This causes voltage drops under loads and reduces the amount of current capable of being supplied.

Keep in mind that it is also possible that you could be having a mainboard issue that can cause it not to charge the battery (bad charging cicuit or blown smd fuse).
Yep, when you buy a battery, make sure that it is fresh stock and has not been sitting on the shelf for a long time. Lithium ion batteries age while sitting on the shelf.

Normally, if you've upgraded to firmware 1.62.02, but the Zen still displays the black plug icon, then there is a problem with the motherboard's charging circuit and you'll need to replace your motherboard, not your battery.

In addition, I've repaired hundreds of Zen Vision:M units where the customer has had this exact battery problem. They sent their Zen along with their aftermarket battery. In addition to there being a motherboard problem, their aftermarket battery did not hold a charge, would not charge, or had other problems. When I put an OEM battery in, however, it charged.

I don't trust aftermarket batteries. For example, Zen Xtra aftermarket batteries are actually the wrong size and do not fit correctly! As a result they only make contact with the battery terminals 50% of the time! My advice is, always look for OEM batteries.

Old 08-17-2008, 12:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

jevries: Yes, it sounds as though the mainboard is just fine and you are just playing the battery lottery at this point. Lithium-ion batteries age from the date of being manufactured. So the manufactured date on them is important to note when buying them. Good luck and let us know.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-25-2008, 03:14 PM

Unhappy My Zen Vision M won't power up

I've had my ZVM for over a year. I really love it. My problem is that it will not power up. I've plugged it into the wall charger and the blue LED on top does not light. I left it on the charger over night - still no good. I've tried pushing the reset, with both holding the power button on and not. Still no good.

Any suggestions or should I just throw it out?

Old 08-25-2008, 03:51 PM

Hi! I fear it could be a motherboard issue... I'm having problems with my ZVM too and during my tests I've discovered that it can be used with the wall charger even when the battery is disconnected: if yours doesn't power up and the blue light doesn't light up, it could definitively be a motherboard issue. By the way, I think you've nothing to lose: take it apart and look if there is something strange (disconnected cables, burnt components) inside.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:12 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello ksk0011. Welcome. Did you go any extended period of time without using the ZVM? It sounds like it is just a depleted battery. Leave the ZVM plugged in for a few days to see if it begins charging or holding a charge and eventually powers on. If you have an AC charger around that would be better to use since charging a powered-off device on USB can take a long time.

From the Zen FAQ:

Quote:
Before the USB bus interface can begin charging a device (Zen), it must return a device identifier to the hub driver (or device driver). Once the hub driver has the returned information from the device (like power requirements, supported transfer speeds, etc.), it can then begin charging the device based on those retuned values. This process is called Enumeration. Until enumeration has completed, it may not draw more than 100mA from the bus. Once enumeration has completed, it can then begin drawing up to the 500mA allowed by the USB bus.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 PM

Thank you for your responses. I had used my ZVM just the day before the problem began. I tried recharging it, resetting it, etc with no response from the unit.

I went to bed. I woke up. Just for the hell of it, I tried powering it on. It worked. I'm listening to it now.

I don't have a clue as to what happened. I'm leaning towards an intermittent motherboard problem, but can't prove it.

So, until it fails again....

Old 08-27-2008, 09:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ahhh, good to hear. It sounds more like an intermittent power issue (most likely battery) more so than a mainboard issue.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-27-2008, 10:55 AM

Thanks for your replies!
I've send the second battery back and they want to know what the part number of the original battery is...I have no clue since it is covered with a sticker.
Believe I much rather buy an original battery and contacted Creative but they told me they don't sell these batteries as an seperate item since it is a closed unit.
And yes these batteries don't fit properly they are to thick the back of the player won't close all the way.
I will let you guys know what the outcome is with this battery affair. At least one seller told me that these batteries won't work on the 60GB version.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:42 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I've send the second battery back and they want to know what the part number of the original battery is...I have no clue since it is covered with a sticker.
I believe the battery part number for the 30GB ZVM is:

P/N: BA20603R79914
LPCS285385

I'm not sure if it is the same for the 60GB versions. I haven't been able to verify yet.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-31-2008, 07:05 PM

hi

My brother just gave me his 30GB CZVM because it only works when plugged in and he thinks the battery can't be replaced! So I followed the directions and I am able to open the casing. When trying to get out the battery though I tore a bit of the foil. There's a pretty weird smell from it so now I don't even know if it's safe to plug in!

But my main question is; did anyone buy a battery from the solware site? Or did anyone find batteries anywhere else?

Thanks

Annie

Old 09-01-2008, 08:05 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The makers of this video also sell the batterieshttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akJDRpx6rA8

Old 09-02-2008, 11:10 AM

Default battery question

hello i am just askin a basic question..

ok i am suppose to buy a new batt for my vision m however my mum's debit card got some stupid problem.. so i went down to a battery shop .. they dont sell the original zen vision battery..

however they have one which looks exactly the same. but it runs at the normal 3.7 volts and 1600 mAh..will it still be compataible with my vision m??

i know the battery life wont last as long as the basic 1700 mAh. but i just want to know if my zen is still workin thats all..

btw i send it to creative and they say my zen could have a circuit damage or somethin like that.. they say a replacement would cost 408 USD thats like a &!@*ing rip off..

Old 09-02-2008, 03:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello pamperedpet32. Welcome. Yes, you can still find the battery in stock. Either search EBay or Google Shopping and you should get plenty of places that sell a battery for the ZVM.

As for the metel sheet.... it's main purpose is to act as an electromagnetic interference shield. A couple bumps and bruises should not cause a problem. The biggest possible issue to watch for is to make sure that it doesn't ground out against any other metel.

These may help too:
Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-02-2008, 03:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
however they have one which looks exactly the same. but it runs at the normal 3.7 volts and 1600 mAh..will it still be compataible with my vision m??
It could if the dimensions are correct and the contacts all line up good. Unfortunately, there may not be any way to find out for sure without just trying. Maybe ask them to see if you can try it in your device before purchasing.

Zen FAQ

Tags
battery, clicking, dying, firmware, flashing blue light, over heat, replacement, usb charge msc problem