android
Old 07-29-2008, 04:37 PM

Thank you
I really appreciate the advice. i think i will need to buy another battery, they arent that expensive and its worth it compared to how much i paid for ZVM.
I am a bit nervous about taking it apart but i will try it
xxx

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-29-2008, 09:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You're welcome. If it is still under warranty, I would send to Creative for repair. If it isn't, then opening it up isn't as hard as it seems. Just follow the guides and directions in the links I posted above and you should be just fine.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-31-2008, 09:22 AM

Thanks for your reply. This is the email response I got from Creative:

For your concern, the issue of your Zen Vision:M may be with the main
board. Repairs for the main board is priced at 47.47 (including
shipping and VAT). The repair will have a 90 day warranty. We only
accept Visa or Mastercard as form of payment.

Aside from that, please note that aside from the repair, what we can
offer you is if you are interested on a new player, do look at other mp3
players on the link indicated below. Please let us know what player you
are interested in, so that we can give the special price for that.

They also inform me that they have no new Zen Vision Ms, so if I wanted a new player I would have to get the Zen or Zen X-Fi. I have a few accessories for the Vision M such as the Zen Wired remote, which I wonder will that work with the newer players?

What do you think is my best course of action: pay the 47.47 for the repair of my two year old Zen Vision M, or negotiate with Creative on the price of a new Zen or Zen X-Fi? Advice appreciated.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:29 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That all depends on what you want in a DAP. All I can say is evaluate your needs in a player and then compare what the two have to offer. Both are very good and capable DAP's. However IMO, they are two completely different types of DAP's; one is truely not a replacement for the other; no matter how much Creative says it is. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 08-01-2008, 06:51 AM

I'm inclined to the idea that I'm better off spending the money on the repair as I have been looking at the specs for the newer players and I don't really see them as good enough replacements for my Vision M. I like the 24bit screens and the lighter form factor, but I'm put off by poor SD integration, reduced video compatibility and the apparent uselessness of the chat features on the X-Fi.

Also the 'discounted' price they've offered me on new players is not really much of a discount when amazon prices are taken into account.

Apparently the wired remote I have for the Vision M is also not compatible with the newer players, and I also have other accessories specifically for the Vision M. So it looks like I'm sending my Vision M off to Creative! Thanks for your help.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't blame you a bit. To this day, the ZVM is still one of the best DAP's around. Well worth the money spent for repair. Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-03-2008, 09:39 AM

Joshua,

I had exactly the same problem. Battery was showing a low charge, even though I knew that the battery was fully charged. Then when I unplugged the player from the mains, it turned off. What I did was downgrade the firmware from 1.62.02 to 1.30.02 and that did the trick. Just out of curiosity I then reinstalled the 1.62.02 firmware and the fault reappeared. I'm now happily running with the 1.30.02 firmware and am just glad my player is now working fine.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello thespangleman. Welcome. Odd.... first time I've heard that. Usually it is the other way around. The firmware version 1.30.02 was known for having many bugs.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-05-2008, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Hello thespangleman. Welcome. Odd.... first time I've heard that. Usually it is the other way around. The firmware version 1.30.02 was known for having many bugs.
Very odd I agree, but it worked for me. After doing a lot of reading on here, I was almost ready to admit defeat. I then came across a thread on this forum where someone else was having the same problems as me. This person said he had downgraded to 1.30.02 firmware and his player was functioning again. So I tried it and, to my relief, it worked for me too. The only explanation I can think of as to why this works is that the earlier firmware monitors battery life differently to the more recent firmware.

By the way Bobby, just out of interest, what bugs does the 1.30.02 firmware have. I have been using my player for a few days with this firmware and have not had any problems at all.

Thanks for all your help on here.

Old 08-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
The only explanation I can think of as to why this works is that the earlier firmware monitors battery life differently to the more recent firmware.
Yeah, but there should be an improvement to the newer firmware for this over the older version; not the other way around..... it makes me wonder if the older version is simply "dumber" and may be ignoring an important problem with the current battery. Just a thought...

Quote:
By the way Bobby, just out of interest, what bugs does the 1.30.02 firmware have. I have been using my player for a few days with this firmware and have not had any problems at all.
The main issue I recall was with stability/freezing in general.

Quote:
Thanks for all your help on here.
No probelm.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-05-2008, 09:44 PM

Where did you get a copy of the 1.30.02 firmware?

Old 08-06-2008, 12:49 AM

Firmware 1.30.02

Click on the third download from the top (The purple icon marked Pop).

http://dapjukebox.altervista.org/mod...=dateD&show=10

Old 08-06-2008, 11:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you try any of the 1.40.xx firmware versions?

Zen FAQ

Old 08-06-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Did you try any of the 1.40.xx firmware versions?
Yes I did try the 1.40.xx firmware versions and I had the same problems with those as I had with the 1.60.02 firmware. The only firmware I tried which worked was the 1.30.02. Strange I know, but at least my player's not a brick!

Old 08-06-2008, 03:37 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hey I'm not saying it is a bad thing. You do have it working again. I'm just trying to get a better understanding of what is happening here.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-06-2008, 04:19 PM

Sorry Bobby, I wasn't trying to be funny.

I can only imagine that like you say, the earlier firmware is 'dumber' than later firmware and doesn't pick up on the problem my player has. I had been using my player for months with the 1.60.02 firmware, and now i am using the earler 1.30.02 firmware, I honestly cannot see any difference. Every function seems the same, the player boots in the usual time, the music and video play fine, the player holds charge as impressively as ever and as yet, hasn't froze.

Note - The only problem anybody might have installing the 1.30.02 firmware is that you have to have a certain amount of charge in your battery. If not it won't install.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Sorry Bobby, I wasn't trying to be funny.
It's no problem. I didn't take it badly.

Quote:
Note - The only problem anybody might have installing the 1.30.02 firmware is that you have to have a certain amount of charge in your battery. If not it won't install.
In general, it is always a good idea to have a good charge before upgrading firmware.

Zen FAQ

Old 08-09-2008, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenfreak View Post
Hello, Im new to this forum & I was reading about problem with battery for zen vision m . I have recently replaced my battery which btw i got good deal on around 18 bucks with free shipping http://www.megacapacity.com/23669.html and it works perfectly I believe the capacity is slightly higher then the original one ( forgot what it was ) and i get good 8 to 9 hours of playing time. I just thought I ll share it with you as I was reading ppl really having a bad time replacing the battery. You can find instructions by searching google at least that what i did.

What type of Creative ZVM player do you have? the 30 or 60 GB version?
I also have the exact same problems as described here in this forum.
I own a 60GB version and after returning the first defective battery I recieved another....defective battery. Won't charge using all the right methods.
I suspect these batteries are drained beyond a level that they can't brought back to live anymore. Usually when you buy a lipo battery it has enough charge to get the device going for a short while. The batteries I received weren't able to do so.

J.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:40 PM

I am at work in China (not here for the Olympics but still I'm here) and my Gomadic charger has finally given up. I am trying to charge it using the dongle and plugging it into a computer but it does not seem to be charging. The blue light flashes and every couple of hours it will come on for a few minutes then shuts down by itself. I have shut it down when it comes on and for a few minutes after that the charger light on the face will function but it will soon go dark and only the blue light will flash. Does any one have any ideas? I hope my unit is not damaged.

I should have stated that none of the computers here have the software installed and it is against company policy to download them. Would that make a difference? I hope so.

Last edited by BobbyRS; 08-11-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It's not uncommon to also get a replacement battery that may be too depleted if you have gotten one that has an older manufactured date and sitting for a while. You can try using a multimeter to see if the battery has a charge. Although it may show a charge, a battery won't show it's true charge unless placed under a load. As a lithium-ion battery gets older (used or not used), its internal resistance increases. This causes voltage drops under loads and reduces the amount of current capable of being supplied.

Keep in mind that it is also possible that you could be having a mainboard issue that can cause it not to charge the battery (bad charging cicuit or blown smd fuse).

Zen FAQ

Tags
battery, clicking, dying, firmware, flashing blue light, over heat, replacement, usb charge msc problem