android
Old 07-13-2008, 06:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't think, based on my impression from the first few posts here, that there is anything wrong with the player except for a drained battery.

Yes, it is normal for the back of the player to get warm during charging. If it becomes very uncomfortable to hold, however, then that is a problem. Otherwise, just let it charge.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenChick View Post
I don't think, based on my impression from the first few posts here, that there is anything wrong with the player except for a drained battery.

Yes, it is normal for the back of the player to get warm during charging. If it becomes very uncomfortable to hold, however, then that is a problem. Otherwise, just let it charge.
So a 48 hour charge time is normal for a drained battery?

Old 07-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It can be for a bad battery that will no longer take a charge.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-13-2008, 08:08 PM

I'll try to plug it in for the next 2 days then, with a fire extinguisher near by.

Old 07-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The meaning to that was most likely a replacement battery is needed since the battery will no longer charge. In otherwards, if it doesn't begin charging or showing any kind of response after being plugged in trying to charge 24hrs later, it should just be replaced.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-15-2008, 03:38 PM

Default Only works when charger is plugged in

My Zen is now only working when it is plugged into the wall charger. It shows a green power charging and will play but the second you unplug it, it turns off and ill not turn on. I've tried the rest button but to no luck. I wonder in my batter is shot?

Old 07-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sounds like it, try contacting creative

and welcome to ABI!
Samsung Galaxy tab 2 7.0
Motorola Droid razr m

Old 07-15-2008, 09:59 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you thinking older firmware with charging bug?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-16-2008, 12:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I wonder in my batter is shot?
That is a good possibility. It may just need a new battery or there may be more serious issues with the mainboard. When you have it connected to the AC charger, does the screen show the battery charge icon and how much charge is on the battery? Do you get a flashing blue power light? How long have you left it plugged in with the AC charger?

A good way to check the battery would be to open up the ZVM and use a multimeter to see what kind of charge, if any, is on the battery.

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.

Good luck and welcome!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Are you thinking older firmware with charging bug?
Exactamundo!

Old 07-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, it would be nice to hear back from him. I'm wondering how the battery swap went as well.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-19-2008, 12:12 PM

Default New Battery - won't charging

Hi to all,

first, i'm new in this Forum, but read it for some time with pleasure! Great work guys! I'm not from the US, so excuse some faults in language.
So here's my Problem. My Zen Vision M 30GB had an audio playing time like 3 h, so i buyed a new battery to replace the old one. I installed the battery (it's a bit thicker than the old one, 1700 mA). The first time charging appeared to be ok, i use an wall charger with the USB-Dongle. After some time the Display blacked out and i assumed it to be fully charged. But the Player won't turn on!
I checked the old one, and it turns on. So i assumed the new battery is dead, but i proofed it with a multimeter but it seems to have 3.7 to 4.0 Volts and around 1000 mA. I tried to charge the Battery via the Dongle and usb, but it worked neither.
May it be possible that the voltage is to high? But i buyed the battery exactly for the ZVM.
So I'm a bit at loss! Anyone any ideas?

thx,
Robert

Old 07-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

That's a strange one. Make sure that the new battery is wired exactly the same way as the old one.

Also, just to be sure there's nothing wrong with the player itself, plug the old battery back in and leave it to charge for a while, just to see if it charges at all. If so, then you may need to exchange your new battery, as it might have an internal fault.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:31 PM

Default Zen Vision M 30GB charging failure - any suggestions or is it dead?

I've had my Zen Vision M for about two years now, so it's well out of warranty. Recently it developed the following problem. When charging, either from the wall or USB, the battery level when I remove the player from the charging source never gets beyond 'low', and the player will simply switch itself off. However the strange thing is that when the player is connected to the USB, the battery icon shows 'fully charged' (plug symbol), the player can dock and its contents can be accessed in the normal way (so I haven't lost any of my music). However as soon as I remove it from all charging sources the 'low battery' notice immediately returns and the player switches itself off. So is the player fully charged or isn't it?

As the player is well out of warranty, I disassembled it and bought a new battery (identical to the old one, supplying 3.7 volts) but the exact same problem remains with the new battery. I've reset the player, run 'clean up', formatted it, reinstalled firmware, all to no avail. I am loath to throw my Zen Vision M away as it still seems to work perfectly if connected to any charging device, but of course if it cannot function independently it is now useless. It is just so frustrating to have a fully-functional player attached to the PC, but as soon as it is removed the battery indicator switches from full/green to empty/red and switches itself off

There may have been some contact with water that could have potentially got into through the charging-slot, but this would have been very slight and it's totally dry now.

Is it time to get a new player or is there anything I can do which I haven't already done? It just seems the player can't be totally dead otherwise it would not dock to the PC. I would be grateful for any replies.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:48 PM

Default ZVM not working - battery problems??? :S

hey
I basically bought a ZVM around two years ago, and then used it quite a lot for around a year and a half and just stopped using it for six months. Now, i tried to charge it and use it and its stopped working altogether. i tried charging it in the USB but nothing happens, the blue light does not flash at all and i also tried charging it by the mains but that does not work either.
I was wondering if its a problem with my battery? Has anyone encountered this problem?
Thanks for any help

Old 07-28-2008, 07:08 PM

Do you have a wall/car charger or a dock?

Try using one of those if you do.

Old 07-28-2008, 10:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello and welocme to ABI.

It could very well be a discharged battery. Using an AC charger and leaving it plugged in for a while would be best to see if it eventually begins charging or holding a charge again. If you don't have an AC charger to use, leave it plugged into a USB port for about a day to see if it can recover. If it appears the power issue isn't improving, you may want to consider purchasing a replacement battery. These should help:

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.
Here are a few places to get a battery.

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-28-2008, 11:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Joshua321. Welcome.

You mentioned that you reloaded the firmware. Which firmware version did you use?

Also, there could be a chance that the charging circuit or a blown fuse on the mainboard could be the cause of the issue. If so, a new mainboard would be needed.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-29-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Hello Joshua321. Welcome.

You mentioned that you reloaded the firmware. Which firmware version did you use?

Also, there could be a chance that the charging circuit or a blown fuse on the mainboard could be the cause of the issue. If so, a new mainboard would be needed.
Hi, thanks for your reply.

I used the latest firmware (1.62.2.0) but the problem remained. I think you're right about it being a problem with the charging circuit rather than the battery - is it possible to buy a new mainboard myself? I have also contacted Creative who say they can repair it at a cost (as it is out of warranty), but I don't know what this cost is yet. Might that be worth doing?

It's just really frustrating that it works perfectly when connected to the PC but as soon as it is disconnected it can't function independently. I love my Vision M and I'm a little wary of the newer Creative players, so my ideal solution would be to have this one working again as long as the cost is not prohibitive.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you want to go about replacing the mainboard yourself, you will have to find som type of as-is ZVM from somewhere like EBay and to the swap yourself or send it to Creative to do. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Tags
battery, clicking, dying, firmware, flashing blue light, over heat, replacement, usb charge msc problem