android
Old 06-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Banham: Your battery appears to be drained. The computer will not recognize your player if it cannot power up, which it can't with the battery drained. Plug it in and allow it to charge for several hours. At some point of time, the battery will charge enough to turn on, display charging status, and allow the computer to recognize the player, thus speeding up the charge.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-01-2008, 01:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

If you have an AC charger you can use to plug into the dongle for charging, that may help as well. Keep in mind charging via USB while the device is off can take a long time, so it may be best to leave it plugged in overnight or all day long (or use the AC charger for faster charging). Good luck and welcome to ABI!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-09-2008, 07:13 AM

Default My Zen Won't turn On, Can I lift the Songs From it?

So my Zen is down. (solid blue light on while charging) Can't get it to turn on for the life of me. Tried everything. I am going to send it in for service. However, Is there a way i can hook the ZVM's drive up to my computer and so i can lift my songs off it?
its a 30g with Zif connector.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello tonysak. Welcome!

Have you tried leaving it charge fo a day to see if it eventually begins charging or turns on?

If you have an AC charger you can use (like a PSP charger), use it instead. It can output at higher current to maybe get the battery charging again.

Worst case, there is always buying a new battery.

Due to the ZVM's propretary file system, just hooking it up to a computer won't allow you to copy over files.

Threads of interest:

Thread1
Thread2

Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-10-2008, 11:34 PM

Default Cannot Charge Via USB, it is warm

I think my battery is completely drained, I plugged it into the USB, the creative logo appears then goes to a blank screen with the battery in the upper right corner, this happesn after a few hours of waiting, it is found by the computer. It isn't new either. Anyways I was wondering if I leave ot for the "up to 12 hours" part how hot it should be and if it is safe with the lithium battery.

Old 07-11-2008, 10:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Since you can see the battery indicator on the screen, does it show low on power? Does the ZVM look like it is charging? I would leave it plugged in for a while. You should be ok, just keep an eye on it every now and then. If you have an AC charger that will work on the ZVM's (dongle charging port), use it instead. It will charge the battery at a higher current (faster charging) and possible restore charging to the battery.

When you say it is found on the computer, what does Device Manager show for the driver installation?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-11-2008, 12:21 PM

Hey all,
I say install because i tried to reload the firmware to trick the player into liking the battery. Now when trying to run the firmware app with the zen running off a PSP ac adaptor it winges about low battery.

The battery seems fine and gets quite warm when charging but soon as AC comes off it says low battery and sticks on that screen for a while (indicating it has enough power to run the backlight e.t.c.

Anyway is there a trick to disable this auto shutdown thing? cause id be happy to just accept the broken b attery meter as a part of life. Also are there any commands to add to the firmware program to ignore battery status?

Thanks

I did a bit of reading and with a bit of fiddling round i managed to get it to blink the light while in recovery mode and show the charging sign.

So how do i recalibrate the battery meter?

***edit***
Definately a software issue

doing this

Quote:
This was something i found. Leave the zen to charge for about 30mins to 1 hours. Put the zen in Recovery mode with mains in. Set it to clean up and when it starts pull the mains out. Don't ask y but it seem to work.
it happily goes through the stages and then as soon as it finishes it says low batt

Ill make a youtube clip

**edit**

Its "charging" from the AC now, the light is flashing and it shows the charging signal on the screen

sorry to bump, im getting 4.1v out of the battery with a multimeter. This means its junk yes?

Anyways ill just see if i can get my mate to let me borrow his battery tomorrow, that should clear things up for me

Also. Testing the connector with a multimeter, if someone could see what they get that would be great.

Black to white = open circut
Black to red = ~77kOhm
White to red = open circut

Last edited by BobbyRS; 07-12-2008 at 02:46 PM.

Old 07-11-2008, 01:11 PM

Thanks I tried everything to get that battery jump stated nothing did it. New issue, the battery terminal got stuck in the female motherboard terminal and broke the soddered connection (the female terminal came lose from the board) can creative fix that?

All my MP3s i own are in that hard disk. Any ideas?

Old 07-11-2008, 01:35 PM

Take a pic of the board/conecctor.

i did the exact same thing cause i was pissed off with the fkn battery, i took it to a local TV/VCR e.t.c. repairshop and he just soldered it and glued it down. Cost me $20aud but i was happy with it, cheaper than me buying a soldering iron and thin gauge solder.

Old 07-11-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
Since you can see the battery indicator on the screen, does it show low on power? Does the ZVM look like it is charging? I would leave it plugged in for a while. You should be ok, just keep an eye on it every now and then. If you have an AC charger that will work on the ZVM's (dongle charging port), use it instead. It will charge the battery at a higher current (faster charging) and possible restore charging to the battery.

When you say it is found on the computer, what does Device Manager show for the driver installation?
After a while (after plugging it in) it appears and asks what action I want to be taken, whether it is none or sync. The OS is XP by the way. It has been plugged in with the blue light blinking since the first post. I am at a staying at a relative's house so I do not want anything to happen to the player that could damage anything. It is warm, is that normal?

Old 07-12-2008, 10:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yeah, easily repairable. I've fixed many players with this same issue. Creative can fix it for a fee. Your best bet may be what Gruelius mentioned. It may very well be cheaper to find someone else to fix it for you. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 07-12-2008, 11:51 AM

i just got the battery, installed it and right after plugging it in the mainboard, the blue light comes on, steady. Also it looks like the player is getting somewhat warm. Any suggestions???? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-12-2008, 12:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaokang View Post
just got the battery, installed it and right after plugging it in the mainboard, the blue light comes on, steady. Also it looks like the player is getting somewhat warm. Any suggestions????
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
It could be a bad battery or more severely a something bad on the mainboard (charging circuit, fuse, etc.).
It seems likely that you may need a new mainboard for your ZVM. You can have someone do the replacement for you like Creative, or you can do yourself. A good way to get the part is look for an as-is ZVM on EBay with a good mainboard and then do a swap. You can use these to help:

Here is the ABI disassembly guide.
Here is a video of a disassembly.

Just to verify..... if you have a multimeter around, try testing the new battery to see if it is any good. Maybe even try testing the older battery as well.

Good luck and sorry about bad news.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-12-2008, 01:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I plugged it into the USB, the creative logo appears then goes to a blank screen with the battery in the upper right corner, this happesn after a few hours of waiting, it is found by the computer.
Quote:
After a while (after plugging it in) it appears and asks what action I want to be taken, whether it is none or sync.
Perhaps corrupt firmware or even worse, a corrupt bootloader. Are you able to boot the ZVM into Recovery Mode?

Zen FAQ

Old 07-12-2008, 01:23 PM

how much would it cost to send it to creative? another option would just to sell it on ebay.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Not sure. You will have to contact them. They usually charge a $25 up-front fee for looking at it and then send you a quote as to how much it will cost to repair.

Creative Returns FAQ.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-12-2008, 01:37 PM

my issues match yours exactly, i got a ebay battery and have the same problem.

A good way to charge it is start it with AC then plug in usb then unplug USB once it has docked and it should start "charging" For me it just heats up and does nothing tho

Old 07-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Gruelius. Welcome to ABI!

Quote:
sorry to bump, im getting 4.1v out of the battery with a multimeter. This means its junk yes?
4.1 volts is good. 3.7v lithium-ion batteries usually charge to around 4.2v.

Quote:
Anyways ill just see if i can get my mate to let me borrow his battery tomorrow, that should clear things up for me
That would be a good test. Maybe even try your new EBay battery in his ZVM to see if it works or not.

Zen FAQ

Old 07-12-2008, 03:47 PM

I sodered it back on my self. It looks ok. Back to charging the battery, does a PSP charger plug directly into the vision M? Or do I have to hot wire it some how directly to the battery?

Old 07-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great. Good job! You can plug the PSP charger directly into the dongle charging port.

Zen FAQ

Tags
battery, clicking, dying, firmware, flashing blue light, over heat, replacement, usb charge msc problem