android
Old 11-26-2008, 05:10 AM

Exclamation Good news! Can now download 01.01.12a firmware!

I just noticed that Sansa has finally made the 01.01.12a firmware available for download! I'm downloading it now -- 3.6MB (about 10 min. over modem).

This is great news for those of us (like me) who have NOT been able to get the automatic updater to work on the Express.

I am not sure when they did this, but I see the post that contains the link was recently edited (the 24th).

Here's the thread with the link, and installation directions:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...thread.id=2972

And here's a direct link to the zip file containing the firmware:

http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmwa...s01.01.12a.zip

(That's the USA version -- there's also a link in that thread for the European version, but from what I've read, the only real difference is that the EU version disables the FM radio, and limits the audio output level.)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-26-2008, 06:11 AM

I just updated the first of my two Expresses (1GB), after first backing up the device.

The good news is that the update went flawlessly, and, after copying one audiobook to the device -- a book that would not appear under the "Audiobooks" genre under *.05 firmware -- it was listed when I looked for Audiobooks under genre.

The bad news is that I *had* to look for it under "genre" -- because when I looked for "Audiobooks" it still reported finding none.

I guess the Express is not going to behave like the Clip, i.e., audiobooks placed into the Audiobooks directory appearing under the Audiobooks menu (and I suspect that the Express will also lack the Clip's nice bookmarking and other Audiobook handling).

I presume that for "official" audiobooks (i.e., stuff purchased from Audible, with DRM), things would be different. Oh, well, I've still got my Clips. Still, would have been nice to be able to have *decent* audiobook handling on the Expresses -- they're nice little machines, and the SD card capability would have been ideal for managing large audiobook collections (and archive.org is loaded with public domain audiobooks, radio shows, and so forth).

C'mon, Sansa... put one last gasp into this orphan product, eh? ONE last update, to bring it in line with the Clip's capability.