android
Old 11-20-2008, 01:50 AM

Default replaced hard drive, but can't boot.

I recently replaced the hard drive on my creative zen vision m (30gb) and now I can't boot.

When i boot the device, it comes up saying "Firmware Problem".

Then goes into "Recovery Mode".

I assume I need to upload a new firmware version.

I tried downloading creative's MP3 player recovery too, and it seems to recognize the device when it's plugged in ("Player detected: Creative ZEN Vision:M"). I click on "Accept" and it downloads the firmware, and pops up a dialog box that says:

Your player is not connected, please connect your player.

And it just sits there... The "upgrade" option is grayed out, and the only other thing I seem to be able to do is hit "close."

thoughts or ideas?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-20-2008, 03:27 AM

You're right: as the firmware resides on the hard drive, when you change it you need to upload a new firmware on the hard drive but you don't need the Creative Recovery Tool.
When you power on the ZVM, you would enter the recovery mode: from there, format the hard drive then select the option to reload the firmware; this puts the player in a waiting state. Now just use a normal updater package (the one you had used to simply upgrade the fw) and see what happens: it might work. Let me know if the trick has helped you.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:51 AM

I unplugged the device from USB and selected the "Reload firmware" option. I get the message "Firmware will be erased. Reload it via USB. Continue?" I select "Yes". I get "Erasing Firmware..." then "Start firmware update now!" for a couple of seconds, but then the message goes away. If I plug in the device, it says "docked" and I can't interact with the device GUI anymore.

What firmware updater should I be using if I don't use the Creative Recovery Tool? I couldn't find a firmware upgrade exe on Creative's website anymore, unless the Creative Zen Vision M:60gb (I only have a 30gb version) will work.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellouch View Post
I unplugged the device from USB and selected the "Reload firmware" option. I get the message "Firmware will be erased. Reload it via USB. Continue?" I select "Yes". I get "Erasing Firmware..." then "Start firmware update now!" for a couple of seconds, but then the message goes away. If I plug in the device, it says "docked" and I can't interact with the device GUI anymore.
Everything as expected and as it should be.

Quote:
What firmware updater should I be using if I don't use the Creative Recovery Tool? I couldn't find a firmware upgrade exe on Creative's website anymore, unless the Creative Zen Vision M:60gb (I only have a 30gb version) will work.
You have to go here:

http://support.creative.com/

select MP3 players (obviously) then follow the link that's on the bottom of the next page under all the photos of the various players and then select your player model. There you would find the ZVM 30Gb firmware updater package.
Unfortunately, I've tried to paste the direct link but it doesn't work (for sure because they are dynamic pages). Strange you didn't find it. Please let me know if you've succeeded in solving your problem.

EDIT: I've just found out that Creative site doesn't permit hotlinking (even the simple link above doesn't work). Just copy this link:

http://support.creative.com/Products...me=MP3+Players

and paste it into your browser address bar (don't click on it, it wouldn't work). This would do the trick: just copy and paste the link.

Last edited by GuybrushThreepwood; 11-20-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:53 AM

thanks for the link, I was able to download the firmware upgrader, however, when I run it, it says:
"Your player is not connected, please connect your player."

The weird thing is that i can see it in windows explorer, and it gets recognized by the windows device manager (MTP and all).

But the firmware upgrader doesn't think it's connected, and the "Upgrade" button never gets un-grayed out.

Could it be I installed the hard drive wrong??? Although I can format it without any issues.... Hm..... <scratching head/>

Old 11-20-2008, 12:14 PM

What makes the player to be recognized is the bootloader that is on a flash on the mainboard of the player (it's the same that starts the recovery mode) so your problem doesn't have nothing to do with the hard drive. Try to uninstall the MTP driver as it seems to me that you're having a problem with it.

Last edited by GuybrushThreepwood; 11-20-2008 at 04:56 PM.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:10 PM

you mean the mtp driver on the pc? i don't think that's it because I'm having the same problem on multiple computers, and other mtp devices I have work just fine on all the computers I'm have trouble with the zen.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, try uninstalling the driver for the ZVM in Device Manager and then reinstalling, but before you do, make sure that all of the Creative software has been uninstalled.

To re-install the Zen's MTP driver if not being recognized correctly:

1. With the Zen connected, in Device Manager, expand the Potable Device category.
2. Right click on the ZVM listing and slect the Uninstall from the menu.
3. Once it is uninstalled, disconnect the Zen from the USB port.
4. Wait a minute, then plug it back in and take note in Device Manager that it refreshes and reloads the driver properly.
5. Once it reloads the driver properly, open My Computer and see if it shows correctly.
6. Then try executing the new firmware installation to see if the ZVM is now recognize.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-20-2008, 04:46 PM

okay, I tried re-installing Zen's MTP driver, but I got the same thing. i can see the device in windows explorer, but the firmware upgrade executable doesn't see it. in windows explorer, I can see the device, expand it, see "Storage Media", if I try to drag an MP3 file to the device, I get a dialog that pops up that says "Cannot Copy File" "The file 'test.mp3' is not supported on this device. [skip] [skip all] [cancel]"

I have never installed any creative software on this computer.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:00 PM

Quote:
you mean the mtp driver on the pc? i don't think that's it because I'm having the same problem on multiple computers, and other mtp devices I have work just fine on all the computers I'm have trouble with the zen.
As said by BobbyRS, it could be a conflict caused by some software installed by Creative so unininstall everything (WMP too because its misinstallation often causes this kind of issues).
It could be a faulty sync adapter too: don't you have a friend who owns a ZVM so that you could try another sync adapter?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:23 PM

okay, i've tried three different computers, none of which had any creative software on them and I get the same result. the creative zen vision m firmware upgrade does not recognize the device that's attached.

the weird thing is if I use the creative mp3 player recovery tool, it won't get past the initial screen (it says "no supported device connected") until I plug in my device. after I do that, and click on refresh, it recognizes the device and downloads the firmware (to the pc?) for it. then it pops up the same old dialog that says "Your player is not connected, please connect your player." it's not using the same mechanism to detect that my device is connected. argh...

i still think the way you upgrade the firmware must be different if you install a new hard drive (like i did)......... this new hard drive probably didn't have anything on it, not even an older copy of the firmware.

while plugged into the usb port, the device has a blue light pulsing at the top of it... I assume because it's in this weird firmware upgrade mode...

still baffled....

Old 11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuybrushThreepwood View Post
It could be a faulty sync adapter too:
I don't believe so. The ZVM is being detected and the driver is loading fine. This indicates that the sync adapter is working porperly.

Quote:
i still think the way you upgrade the firmware must be different if you install a new hard drive (like i did)......... this new hard drive probably didn't have anything on it, not even an older copy of the firmware.
You need to do a Format from within Recovery Mode (twice to be sure) before doing the Reload Firmware option to install the firmware. The Format will prepare the partitions and database for the firmware and filesystem to work correctly.

Quote:
while plugged into the usb port, the device has a blue light pulsing at the top of it... I assume because it's in this weird firmware upgrade mode...
I believe the blinking light you are refering to is the light indicating that the ZVM is charging.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-20-2008, 09:19 PM

ug. now I'm in this perpetual mode of having it boot up and say "Firmware Problem" and I can't get past that. Is there a way to get back to the recovery menu?

Old 11-20-2008, 09:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Recovery Mode

Zen FAQ

Old 11-20-2008, 10:46 PM

okay, finally, it seemed to work. thanks!!! the app hung in the middle of upgrading the firmware, but after I hit the reset button, it seemed to work. at least I can see my drive and zen... thanks!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:52 PM

another data point. i wound up upgrading the firmware *again* and this time it completed without a hitch (it warned me that the version was the same and there was no difference), but I upgraded anyway.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
I don't believe so. The ZVM is being detected and the driver is loading fine. This indicates that the sync adapter is working porperly.
I didn't believe it too but I've made a guess because the problems he was expreriencing were meaningless.

@pellouch

Glad to know that you've succeeded in getting your ZVM to work again! If you had read my posts, you had understood that only the firmware resides on the hard drive but the recovery mode is managed by the bootloader that is on a flash on the mainboard. The ONLY way to load a new firmware (both on a new or an old hard drive) when you're experiencing firmware and/or hard drive issues is by the recovery mode. I've also said to you to format the hard drive.

Last edited by GuybrushThreepwood; 11-21-2008 at 08:29 AM.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
okay, finally, it seemed to work. thanks!!!
Good to hear. No problem. Did you end up doing the Format as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuybrushThreepwood View Post
The ONLY way to load a new firmware (both on a new or an old hard drive) is by the recovery mode.
You can actually load the firmware while booted normally as well by executing the firmware app and having the Zen connected. Most people do it this way unless there is a problem and then loading it through Recovery Mode is ideal.

Zen FAQ

Old 11-21-2008, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post
You can actually load the firmware while booted normally as well by executing the firmware app and having the Zen connected. Most people do it this way unless there is a problem and then loading it through Recovery Mode is ideal.
You're completely right in fact I was refering to pellouch's particular situation. By the way, my post was ambiguous so I've revised it: thanks for pointing it out.

Old 11-21-2008, 08:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. Thanks for changing it.

Zen FAQ

Tags
firmware, hard drive, upgrade, vision m