android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa e200 > Sansa e200 Rockbox

Old 11-15-2006, 12:48 AM

Sandisk provided the rockbox team with a couple of Sansa, so they do in fact want people to be able to run it.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-06-2006, 01:19 PM

Default Loading Rockbox on an Exxx

OK, supposedly RB dev is far enough along that it will actually boot on the Sansa.... Anyone tried this?? If so, could you point me in the direction of docs on EXACTLY how to do it? Like it needs to be compiled, etc, I think....

Thanks

Boof

Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boofus View Post
OK, supposedly RB dev is far enough along that it will actually boot on the Sansa.... Anyone tried this?? If so, could you point me in the direction of docs on EXACTLY how to do it? Like it needs to be compiled, etc, I think....

Thanks

Boof
You probably don't want to do it unless you are able to help with development - there's some important things missing, like some of the controls, and sound. If you just want to see what it will look like, you can download a simulator from here.

If you are sure that you want to put Rockbox on, first off make sure you have a copy of your original firmware saved to your computer. Then you will need to set up a development environment - follow the links from this page. After that download the Rockbox source, and then you will need to configure a "normal" build for the Sansa (this should make sense when you are doing it.) Compile by doing "make" and then "make fullzip" and extract the files from the zip onto your Sansa.

When you want to go back to the original firmware, you will need to go into emergency recovery mode by turning your Sansa on with the hold switch on and record pressed, and then copy the file across.

These instructions will probably be out of date fairly soon, and will definitely be different by the time Rockbox is properly working on the Sansa.

Old 12-06-2006, 05:10 PM

Yes!!! Hopefully all of the anoying nuances of using my Sansa now should be slighly remedied; (Like my prob with ID3 tags)

GO LINUX!

Old 12-06-2006, 05:14 PM

Ok; i should have put this all in one post.... but.

If sansa REALLY wants you to use RockBox; you should be able to install it in the same manner you would install Firmware.

Old 12-06-2006, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_a View Post
If you just want to see what it will look like, you can download a simulator from here.
Thanks..... I DL'ed the simulator, but it didn't work correctly on my laptop. Tried both the .bat files, no help.

Quote:
When you want to go back to the original firmware, you will need to go into emergency recovery mode by turning your Sansa on with the hold switch on and record pressed, and then copy the file across.
Ah.... That's the part in which I was most interested.... How to get the damn thing back if I screwed it up completely.

Even though I can't help with actual development (way to many wishes, almost NO time at all), I may put a development system together using Cygwin program.

Thanks

Boof

Old 12-06-2006, 09:08 PM

Rockbox seems quite close to running in a useful manner on the player soon. I wouldn't suggest building it now unless you want to help with programming (the scroll wheel isn't figured out yet, so you can't even go up/down properly). You won't actually be able to do anything except maybe test some custom code in it.

Old 12-07-2006, 08:18 AM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0ug View Post
GO LINUX!
Indeed. However the topic here is Rockbox and Rockbox is not Linux (no, not even a tiny bit).

Old 12-07-2006, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagder View Post
Indeed. However the topic here is Rockbox and Rockbox is not Linux (no, not even a tiny bit).
We need a slogan like "GNU == GNU's not Unix" for Rockbox!

Old 12-07-2006, 03:14 PM

Ok; I do understand that...
Do you require to drill that simple slogan "GNU isn't Linux" into my head incessantly though?

Old 12-07-2006, 03:14 PM

Whoops, "GNU isn't Unix" <Sorry

Old 12-07-2006, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Ok; I do understand that...
Do you require to drill that simple slogan "GNU isn't Linux" into my head incessantly though?
I didn't "drill" anything "incessantly" into your head, it was just a lame joke in response to Badgers clarification...

Old 12-07-2006, 04:32 PM

I understand ad apologise about the reaction a made; I relize you were only making a joke. I have unfortuanately had very bad experience with people trying to assist me with Linux; and as a vent of my frustration... that flustered post ensued. I apologise for being rude.

Old 12-07-2006, 04:38 PM

No offense taken.

I actually didn't read your original post, only Badger's statement in bold... I saw that Linux/Rockbox thing coming up in other forums, too - that's why I made an attempt at Slashdot-standup-comedy...

Old 12-07-2006, 05:16 PM

your witty attitude it lost on a linux-newbie

Old 12-07-2006, 05:24 PM

It would be nice if the thread would retain its topic...
I have no idea; I never follow dev teams, so when it becomes remotely feasable for a newbie like myself to install it without bricking; could someone notify us?

Last edited by D0ug; 12-07-2006 at 05:24 PM. Reason: grammatical error

Old 12-10-2006, 10:44 AM
Banned

omg, i know RB for Sansa is still a ways off, but I'm excited at how well it's coming along! maybe this damn thing will be worth keeping after all!

Old 12-10-2006, 10:53 AM

Quote:
It would be nice if the thread would retain its topic...
I have no idea; I never follow dev teams, so when it becomes remotely feasable for a newbie like myself to install it without bricking; could someone notify us?
I'll post something up here when it's worth installing it - at the moment, the scroll wheel not working makes using the Sansa impossible.

Old 12-19-2006, 04:45 PM

Quote:
I'll post something up here when it's worth installing it - at the moment, the scroll wheel not working makes using the Sansa impossible.
works now!!!

Old 12-19-2006, 05:02 PM

wow - great!! All controls seem to work! And they also already "have an idea" how to play sound:

"Rockbox currently starts on the e200 but with several quirks:
* No sound (although we have an idea on where to start poking)
* Battery monitoring does not work (it constantly tells you the battery is empty ... )!