android
Old 11-06-2008, 05:56 PM

Default Sansa and Fedora: The most popular music player/management

Hello there everyone, how's it going?

I'm new to these forums and wanted to get an opinion from most people as to the best way to do this.

I've had my Sansa e280 for over a year now, and I love it, sound quality is great and it's close to indestructible from my butter-fingers point of view.

Recently, I switched my entire Operating System to Fedora Core 9, and I couldn't be happier with it as an operating system. I'm currently using the GNOME desktop.

Because of my move to Linux I've decided to completely restructure my music library because, generally speaking it was a huge mess -- files everywhere, and in all formats and file names you could imagine.

Basically, I have a few questions for anyone who has a minute of course, feel free to take your time.

First of all, is there any easy way to get my music into some discernible order beyond manually updating all of the tags and moving them into appropriate folders. I tried easyTAG but I wasn't 100% sure what I was doing, I read through the docs and wasn't much farther ahead. How exactly does it work, and would it be a good way to get my music together?

Next, what music player do people use with GNOME, I hear Rhythmbox and Amarok tossed around all the time, and I've installed both and played around with them. I have no specific preference, however, (and I don't know if they're supposed to or not) but I can't get either to actively integrate with my Sansa (neither will detect it, but, oddly VLC will). I don't mind just copy pasting the files onto my Sansa like I did on Windows, but I appreciate any suggestions

Finally, I have dumped a few albums onto my Sansa that I ripped on my Fedora machine via the good old fashioned copy-paste, and the tags were (predicatably) all screwed up. I'm pretty sure this is a job for easyTAG, I'm just not sure how.

Anyways, thanks to anyone who even reads this, sorry I'm a newbie and so wordy. Any helping is hugely appreciated, and of course opinions and stuff would also garner you my enternal thanks and such.

EDIT:
And what about Rockbox/Sansalinux either of them worth using?

Last edited by Sylph; 11-06-2008 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Just to add another point

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-07-2008, 01:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

1) I am sure there is, but I have not need them myself.
2) I use Banshee or Audacious, but I am might change Banshee to Exaile.
3) If you use ID3v2.3 in your tags, you should not have the issue.

4) Rockbox is great. SansaLinux is useless in my opinion.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:31 PM

I agree with advcomp2019 if your e280 is a v1 Rockbox is the perfect compliment to it. I have 2 v1's now that are Rockboxed and hardly ever use the Official Firmware...well only for recharging.

If your e280 is a v2 your out of luck until Rockbox gets ported to it...
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC