android
Old 10-27-2008, 10:26 AM

Default Cowon D2 16gb or Creative Zen 32gb?

Sorry if this has been done before but any help would be much appreciated.
My Toshiba Gigabeat s60v has just suffered the code 5 error and I am now in the market for a new mp3 player, narrowing the choice down to either the Creative Zen 32gb or Cowon D2 16gb.
I generally like having a large storage capacity (32gb+) as I like to travel around with most of my music collection with me. My first question is does an sd card (either 16gb or 32gb) integrate with the Cowon library seamlessly to give the functionality of a 32gb or more harddrive?
I also enjoy listening to music whilst skateboarding/snowboarding and was wandering how good both players are in these situations? Is it easy to change track, play/pause, etc. I know the Cowon can change the button functions but are these easily accessible in a pocket?
Sound quality is also important but from what I have read both seem excellent, with the Cowon possibly being better.
Price is a slight issue, but both players are similar in price, apart from having to purchase an extra sd card for the Cowon to increase capacity.
Last point, are both players well supported with regular firmware updates and accessories? The most annoying thing about the Toshiba Gigabeat was the lack of support in terms of firmware updates to fix bugs.
So which one do you guys think would be best for me?
Thanks in advance!
Dunc

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-27-2008, 11:57 AM

I hate to throw a wrench into the decision process and don’t know your budget, but did you look at the new 32gb Cowon O2, which has an SD slot too.

http://www.amazon.com/Cowon-32GB-MP4...5126534&sr=8-2

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-27-2008, 12:11 PM

My budget is under £200, preferably around the £150 mark. I'm in the UK as well and can't seem to find that model in any UK shops? Has it not been released over here yet?
Thanks!

Old 10-28-2008, 08:51 PM

I don't think the creative has a tv-out function like the d2, if you like that feature, that is.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankindunc View Post
My budget is under £200, preferably around the £150 mark. I'm in the UK as well and can't seem to find that model in any UK shops? Has it not been released over here yet?
Thanks!
Should be out this month, by the 31st

Old 10-29-2008, 05:36 AM

thanks for the replies, i went for the cowon d2, had a look at the 02 but it doesn't look as portable as the d2, looks pretty sweet though!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skankindunc View Post
thanks for the replies, i went for the cowon d2, had a look at the 02 but it doesn't look as portable as the d2, looks pretty sweet though!
Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy! Hard not to go for the D2 with all the recent price drops.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:01 PM

You made a good choice. The Zen's SD slot is a complete joke and worthless. And the D2 is the best PMP out there when it comes to audio at the moment.

Old 11-04-2008, 11:56 PM

for what it's worth, the zen left me running for the D2.

MTP and crappy codec support make everyday a rainy day.

Old 11-05-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbuzzo View Post
for what it's worth, the zen left me running for the D2.

MTP and crappy codec support make everyday a rainy day.
That's really too bad that creative dropped the ball on this one, as my Zen Vision:M had some of the best codec support I've seen in a dap. I just dropped my movie files I use on my desktop on my player and it worked. No changing of format, bitrate, resolution or anything.

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 11-05-2008, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorcorps View Post
That's really too bad that creative dropped the ball on this one, as my Zen Vision:M had some of the best codec support I've seen in a dap. I just dropped my movie files I use on my desktop on my player and it worked. No changing of format, bitrate, resolution or anything.
Manufacturers have gotten cheap since then...

I would think that the Zen would've been better for skating/snowboarding. It's somewhat more durable despite the cheap, plasticky feel. Ultimately, Creative does have a reputation for making less than reliable products, though. A high percentage of them encounter fatal errors a la Xbox 360.

D2's pretty good. Just not as buttoned up and user friendly as other players.
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 11-05-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansaRulez83 View Post
Manufacturers have gotten cheap since then...

I would think that the Zen would've been better for skating/snowboarding. It's somewhat more durable despite the cheap, plasticky feel. Ultimately, Creative does have a reputation for making less than reliable products, though. A high percentage of them encounter fatal errors a la Xbox 360.

D2's pretty good. Just not as buttoned up and user friendly as other players.
I disagree, I use my i7 for skating all the time and it works great ... thus my assumption is that the d2 would work just as great. IMO, the cowon build quality is way better than the zen.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:52 PM

Ah, but the screen! IAudio 7 has the same plastic over its screen that the rest of the player has. I guess I just wasn't specific enough but without that protective layer D2 users are somewhat more likely to break their screen.
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 11-11-2008, 11:09 PM

"Sound quality is also important but from what I have read both seem excellent"

To be quite honest, this is a prime example of reason not to believe everything you read...

The Creative Zen is in No Way, Shape or Form to be considered 'excellent', or anywhere near the sonic equivalent of the Cowon D2.

Seriously deficient in soundstage, clarity, dynamics and overall output volume, the Zen is (IMO) easily one of the single worst sounding DAP/PMP units that I own (or have ever heard), and if given a choice between these two, I suggest that you run, and run fast to get a Cowon D2 and never look back!

.. again, IMO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dav's D2 and Zen.jpg (137.5 KB, 22 views)

Old 11-16-2008, 10:48 PM

skankindunc... I noticed that you live in the UK. I just moved here and I've got a less than two month old Sony NWZ-A728 from the US. Do you or anyone else know where I can test a D2 or even trade in. My Sony is perfect except I want a louder player which everyone seems to be saying the D2 is. Anyone even willing to buy it off of me? Help would be much appreciated.

Old 11-17-2008, 06:40 PM

Make a new thread; I think you'd have to buy it online.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:34 PM

Right, quick update.
After owning my D2 for a couple of weeks i've loved and hated it in equal measures. Was very impressed with it out of the box, nice build quality and very responsive screen. Put on a few albums to try it out and was very impressed with sound through my sennheiser cx300s. The problems began when i tried to load a large amount of music onto the player. DO NOT DO THIS! All my files were corrupted and I had to reset the whole device losing everything on it, very annoying! I've found putting a max of 9 albums, drag and drop styley, then disconnecting the D2 from the computer and turning it on after each time is the only way to transfer music and files. This is very annoying when trying to fill the 16gb capacity! Having figured that out, I have now almost filled it and have also increased the memory with a 16gb SDHC card which works perfectly, integrating all files with the main library.
The other issue I have had with this player is the file naming. I have run my music library through Mp3Tag and all are fine, yet I still some how have 14 different 'Arcade Fire' in my artist list, very odd.
I have found using the buttons to be easy whilst on the move, even though there are only three physical buttons, these can be programmed for your needs.
The shuffle music list works well but does have a tendency to repeat songs, which does also get quite irritating.
Recently, I have put games and videos on the device which also work brilliantly, adding another dimension to the pmp.
I am beginning to love this little player and I think I made the right decision in choosing this over the Creative Zen.
Thanks for all the help.

p.s. Soupy, I bought my D2 from advancedmp3players.co.uk, good service, look around and you can find discount codes for 20% online! best bet is sell yours on ebay.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The O2 is listed as only having an 18 hour battery life for music, and is much larger and heavier than the D2, so price isn't just the only factor in choosing a D2 vs an O2. Of course the O2 has a much larger screen than the D2, so it would be more pleasurable to watch video on the O2.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JK98 View Post
The O2 is listed as only having an 18 hour battery life for music, and is much larger and heavier than the D2, so price isn't just the only factor in choosing a D2 vs an O2. Of course the O2 has a much larger screen than the D2, so it would be more pleasurable to watch video on the O2.
Cowon D2 has an annoying file limit. The auto-resume feature requires accessing the touchscreen through 4 steps. The Zen can be turned on and off and it will resume playing. For some reason this is a rare feature on many players. I am therefore unfortunately leaning towards this player for some of my audiobooks in addition to the O2. The O2 has a recent file feature - it remembers your videos and mp3s. That's very neat as I don't like setting the bookmarks myself. The Zen's SD slot is not integrated with the main memory and does not allow bookmarks. Therefore I'll likely get a small, cheap zen in addition to the O2.

Last edited by reineke; 12-02-2008 at 11:08 PM.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:41 PM

is it possible to use file/folder browsing so you don't have to rely on ID3 tags etc.?