android
Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 PM

Help Is there a way to change up the menu?

I was wondering if there was a way to change the things on the menu list and add stuff like "Podcasts", "Games","Cover flow", ect. instead of having to find stuff by scrolling through"Files".
Stay Salty, Sansae260noob

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-21-2008, 04:42 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You'd have to edit the source code.

Old 10-21-2008, 04:44 PM

Is that doable or a waste of time? And has any one else done it that can give me a download of a modded version. (sorry not very tech savyy.........Not tech savvy at all)
Stay Salty, Sansae260noob

Old 11-19-2008, 06:29 PM

oh my god, I am with you bro! It would be so easy to have a "Music, Games, Apps, videos, and photos menue" instead of "Database, Plugins and files".

Honestly, i dont mind it too much since i am hal;f used to it, bit it would be cool.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:26 PM

Be careful. Suggesting (or even inquiring about the existence of) changes here implies that rockbox isn't perfect and by extension the programmers aren't perfect either. There are some who do not take kindly to such implied insults. You have been warned!

The rockbox technical forums seems a safer place to make such inquiries.
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php#6

Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Be careful. Suggesting (or even inquiring about the existence of) changes here implies that rockbox isn't perfect and by extension the programmers aren't perfect either. There are some who do not take kindly to such implied insults. You have been warned!
Too True, for those who want too see how ugly it can get, take a look at m.rehorst's thread on a simlar request:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=36033

Old 11-20-2008, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancid View Post
Too True, for those who want too see how ugly it can get, take a look at m.rehorst's thread on a simlar request:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=36033
If you have something to say in that thread, say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.rehorst
Be careful. Suggesting (or even inquiring about the existence of) changes here implies that rockbox isn't perfect and by extension the programmers aren't perfect either.
Oh please. Your suggestions were considered and politely shown to be unworkable. Then you got angry and began insulting people when they didn't do what you wanted. When I called you out, you started making things up:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...1&postcount=16

Funny how you stopped posting when I quoted what you actually said!

Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 AM

I partly understand why m.rehorst was so mad at you guys. It is because his question and the responses he got did not match up! He simply asked you if there was a way. And you guys started screaming and asking him why. If you did not want to help him, you should've simply not responded! You guys care too much about why? rather than how!

Old 11-20-2008, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutog4mer View Post
I partly understand why m.rehorst was so mad at you guys. It is because his question and the responses he got did not match up! He simply asked you if there was a way.
Actually this is not what he asked:

Quote:
I'd like a main menu that lists music, video, and radio and that's about it. Maybe a bass and treble control or preset EQ. I'm talking about a grossly simplified version of rockbox here...

Who's idea was it to put the music under a menu selection called "database"?
Skimming that thread, I don't see him ever asking how to change it. In fact, I think it was Llorean who suggested that he could change it himself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean
If you think the database is better named "music" for your personal use, you're more than welcome to edit the language file to this purpose.

Meanwhile, we'd rather people see items named after what they really do than oversimplified names such as "music" that provide the user next to no clue what is really going to happen when they select the option. I'm sure you can imagine how many people would expect "Music" to just show them a listing of what's in their music folder, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean
For the original poster: Database can be renamed to "Music" by editing the language file. This isn't even a programming task, though I believe it does require you to get the tool to convert the text .lang files to the binary .lng files (the tool is part of the Rockbox project and can be compiled from SVN, which again doesn't require any programming skills just the ability to follow directions). But you'd have to replace the new .lng file every time you updated the version of Rockbox on the player.

It seems like it'd be a simpler task to teach him to use the few basic functions he needs, as nobody's shown a real interest in maintaining a "simple" version of Rockbox. For example, I see you're looking for one already done for you, rather than saying "How do I do this to share with others who might like a simplified one."
Quote:
Originally Posted by narutog4mer View Post
And you guys started screaming and asking him why. If you did not want to help him, you should've simply not responded! You guys care too much about why? rather than how!
Actually, he asked why, and the answers were in response to them. He just didn't like the answers, and wasn't interested in making the changes himself.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:56 PM

Shouldn't this be in the other thread instead of this one?

Also I would like to state that neither rockbox or the contributors are perfect

Old 11-20-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthunder View Post
Shouldn't this be in the other thread instead of this one?

Also I would like to state that neither rockbox or the contributors are perfect

What? WHAT! Ehhh, neither am I.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga
If you read my last post in that forum topic then you will notice I did post something and I had a lot to say.....

I was just resonding to m.rehorst when he said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.rehorst
Be careful. Suggesting (or even inquiring about the existence of)
Which I have to agree with.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
If you read my last post in that forum topic then you will notice I did post something and I had a lot to say.....
I didn't say you hadn't posted in that thread. I'm aware of it. Because I too posted in that thread.

I said if you had something else to say, you should say it. Pointing out that you had previously said unrelated things is neither interesting nor relevent.

Quote:
I was just resonding to m.rehorst when he said:

Which I have to agree with.
And which I've already pointed out is a load of bullshit, and which you have not attempted to contest. I assume this is because you realize how stupid it is.

What exactly is your point?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM

yea I would not recommend doing it yourself

Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 AM

Saratoga, Calm down no need to swear, its a public forum and lots of people come here. I know exactly what I am saying, and what I am saying is not stupid.

The original quote form m.rehorst:
Quote:

m.rehorst was being sarcastic when he said the above and in doing so was just giving advise to Sansae260noob that there could be a backlash against any one that suggested or asked for help to change the menu layout.

I responded to m.rehorst post with:
Quote:
You then said,
Quote:

I replied,
Quote:

You then replied,
Quote:
I didn't say you hadn't posted in that thread. I'm aware of it. Because I too posted in that thread.
Quote:
I said if you had something else to say, you should say it. Pointing out that you had previously said unrelated things is neither interesting nor relevent.
You said in “If you have something to say in that thread, say it.” And not “If you had something else to say, you should say it” you missed a bit where you said “in that thread”

Now which thread are you talking about???? This one or the other one….

Hang on… before you respond, I have posted in the previous thread which you agree too.
The relevance of my post was in response to m.rehorst’s post, as described above, so saying it was not relevant is indeed wrong, it is 100% relevant to m.rehorst’s post.
But if you are refering to the threads orginal subject then as you say it is not relevent, which would include your posts as well except where you said,
Quote:
You'd have to edit the source code.

I am sorry that you find that my response to be unrelated and un-interesting, I am not forcing you to read them or for you to reply to them.

For those concerned please do not read this post as you may not find it interesting and it is unrelated to the threads orginal subject. I am aware of this and would like to apologise to you all in advance.

Last edited by rancid; 12-02-2008 at 09:09 AM.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Rockbox Developer

There's never really a backlash against someone who wants help doing it for theirself. But when people come in to whine about how Rockbox does it (and that's what the original poster in the other thread was doing, unless he seriously wanted an answer to the question "Who's idea was it to put the music under a menu selection called "database"?") there's certainly going to be a backlash.

Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 PM

Wow, talk about thread hijack, what on earth does discussing the validity of a DIFFERENT thread have to do with this one? (sorry if I sound rude, I just think it's funny). Anyway, I agree that the rockbox devs are not perfect. The reason that I use rockbox is because it's good, it's great. I don't buy the whole, 'it's free, so what can you expect' philosophy. I use FLOSS, not because it's free (libre, well, actually I'm moving towards this way now), but because it's better. And, when I see a problem, I will point it out, but in a nice way, because they are VERY nice to give me the great package for free. Now, back on topic. I think the reason that everyone was complaining is because this is the wrong forums to post a comment on. So, can we please cool the arguments here? m.rehorst was right for giving the link to a safer place to make the discussion. Now, back to address the original purpose of the thread. No, you can not change the theme as a default option in rockbox. The feature simply does not exist, do to a lack of interest. Now, I don't really want that feature, I prefer the way rockbox is currently organized. And posting here, asking people to change it, isn't going to do much, because their is so little momentum behind it. You can probably do a few things though: 1. If you have any art skills, make a WPS, and theme, to do the job (yes, I believe that it can be done devs). 2. Wait for someone like me to make it. It may take a while, but it will probably eventually get done. If you take this option, please, do not post threads every couple of weeks asking about the progress. 3. Go back to the OF, yes I know it's not as good, but hay, it IS an option.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 PM

Quote:
[Calm down no need to swear, its a public forum and lots of people come here.
I am calm, and swearing is appropriate.

Quote:
The original quote form m.rehorst:

m.rehorst was being sarcastic when he said the above and in doing so was just giving advise to Sansae260noob that there could be a backlash against any one that suggested or asked for help to change the menu layout.

I responded to m.rehorst post with:

You then said,

I replied,

You then replied,

You said in “If you have something to say in that thread, say it.” And not “If you had something else to say, you should say it” you missed a bit where you said “in that thread”
These two statements are functionally identical. Your objection here is a nonsensical wall of words that doesn't say anything.

Quote:
I am sorry that you find that my response to be unrelated and un-interesting, I am not forcing you to read them or for you to reply to them.
You are asking me to though, since you're quoting me. Its really just a common curtesy that if you're going to quote someone that you try to post something topical, relevent, or interesting. Right now you're just throwing useless words at me, and I am now asking you to stop. Either make an argument using words about ideas or do not quote me.

Last edited by saratoga; 12-02-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

Old 12-03-2008, 05:07 AM

Jesus christ, what a pointless exercise. Any mods about?

In my experience it's fairly standard practice for open source devs to overreact to actual or perceived criticism of their projects. That and the now all too familiar "learn to code and do it yourself" response to feature requests is one of the reasons why open source is so very far away from being 'ready for the mainstream'*. A bit of a shame really, but thats humans for you.

By the way, the same thing happens with tedious regularity over on the official forums if anyone was thinking about heading over there.

* with a few notable exceptions, such as some of the linuxes, and openoffice, but those are effectively run as commercial projects anyway, so theyre not really the same thing at all.

[edited to be less ranty, if you can believe that]

Last edited by Daveybaby; 12-03-2008 at 05:37 AM.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 AM

lol,

People take life too seriously,

TBOL3 as you are properly aware the other thread is asking the same thing, and this thread has got out of hand.

Rockbox modders and developers, Thank you for an amazing piece of firmware.

As said it is not perfect for everyone, so back on topic, is there a way of changing the menu structure?

Tags
games, menu, podcasts