android
  #1  
Old 10-21-2008, 04:31 PM
Sansae260noob's Avatar
Sansae260noob Sansae260noob is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 77
Help Is there a way to change up the menu?

I was wondering if there was a way to change the things on the menu list and add stuff like "Podcasts", "Games","Cover flow", ect. instead of having to find stuff by scrolling through"Files".
__________________
Favorite artist currently: Girl Talk
Favorite album currently: Girl Talk-All Day
Players: Sansa clip+ -once was lost but know found, Sansa e260-Screen cracked.
Stay Salty, Sansae260noob
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 10-21-2008, 04:42 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,608
Default

You'd have to edit the source code.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 10-21-2008, 04:44 PM
Sansae260noob's Avatar
Sansae260noob Sansae260noob is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 77
Default

Is that doable or a waste of time? And has any one else done it that can give me a download of a modded version. (sorry not very tech savyy.........Not tech savvy at all)
__________________
Favorite artist currently: Girl Talk
Favorite album currently: Girl Talk-All Day
Players: Sansa clip+ -once was lost but know found, Sansa e260-Screen cracked.
Stay Salty, Sansae260noob
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 11-19-2008, 06:29 PM
narutog4mer's Avatar
narutog4mer narutog4mer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 76
Default

oh my god, I am with you bro! It would be so easy to have a "Music, Games, Apps, videos, and photos menue" instead of "Database, Plugins and files".

Honestly, i dont mind it too much since i am hal;f used to it, bit it would be cool.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 11-19-2008, 07:26 PM
m.rehorst m.rehorst is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 25
Default

Be careful. Suggesting (or even inquiring about the existence of) changes here implies that rockbox isn't perfect and by extension the programmers aren't perfect either. There are some who do not take kindly to such implied insults. You have been warned!

The rockbox technical forums seems a safer place to make such inquiries.
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php#6
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 11-20-2008, 06:50 AM
rancid's Avatar
rancid rancid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK, Somerset
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Be careful. Suggesting (or even inquiring about the existence of) changes here implies that rockbox isn't perfect and by extension the programmers aren't perfect either. There are some who do not take kindly to such implied insults. You have been warned!
Too True, for those who want too see how ugly it can get, take a look at m.rehorst's thread on a simlar request:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=36033
__________________
Backups are for Losers !!!
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 11-20-2008, 09:47 AM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancid View Post
Too True, for those who want too see how ugly it can get, take a look at m.rehorst's thread on a simlar request:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=36033
If you have something to say in that thread, say it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.rehorst
Be careful. Suggesting (or even inquiring about the existence of) changes here implies that rockbox isn't perfect and by extension the programmers aren't perfect either.
Oh please. Your suggestions were considered and politely shown to be unworkable. Then you got angry and began insulting people when they didn't do what you wanted. When I called you out, you started making things up:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...1&postcount=16

Funny how you stopped posting when I quoted what you actually said!
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 AM
narutog4mer's Avatar
narutog4mer narutog4mer is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 76
Default

I partly understand why m.rehorst was so mad at you guys. It is because his question and the responses he got did not match up! He simply asked you if there was a way. And you guys started screaming and asking him why. If you did not want to help him, you should've simply not responded! You guys care too much about why? rather than how!
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old 11-20-2008, 03:48 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by narutog4mer View Post
I partly understand why m.rehorst was so mad at you guys. It is because his question and the responses he got did not match up! He simply asked you if there was a way.
Actually this is not what he asked:

Quote:
I'd like a main menu that lists music, video, and radio and that's about it. Maybe a bass and treble control or preset EQ. I'm talking about a grossly simplified version of rockbox here...

Who's idea was it to put the music under a menu selection called "database"?
Skimming that thread, I don't see him ever asking how to change it. In fact, I think it was Llorean who suggested that he could change it himself:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean
If you think the database is better named "music" for your personal use, you're more than welcome to edit the language file to this purpose.

Meanwhile, we'd rather people see items named after what they really do than oversimplified names such as "music" that provide the user next to no clue what is really going to happen when they select the option. I'm sure you can imagine how many people would expect "Music" to just show them a listing of what's in their music folder, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean
For the original poster: Database can be renamed to "Music" by editing the language file. This isn't even a programming task, though I believe it does require you to get the tool to convert the text .lang files to the binary .lng files (the tool is part of the Rockbox project and can be compiled from SVN, which again doesn't require any programming skills just the ability to follow directions). But you'd have to replace the new .lng file every time you updated the version of Rockbox on the player.

It seems like it'd be a simpler task to teach him to use the few basic functions he needs, as nobody's shown a real interest in maintaining a "simple" version of Rockbox. For example, I see you're looking for one already done for you, rather than saying "How do I do this to share with others who might like a simplified one."
Quote:
Originally Posted by narutog4mer View Post
And you guys started screaming and asking him why. If you did not want to help him, you should've simply not responded! You guys care too much about why? rather than how!
Actually, he asked why, and the answers were in response to them. He just didn't like the answers, and wasn't interested in making the changes himself.
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old 11-20-2008, 04:56 PM
blackthunder blackthunder is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: seattle
Posts: 41
Default

Shouldn't this be in the other thread instead of this one?

Also I would like to state that neither rockbox or the contributors are perfect
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old 11-20-2008, 06:24 PM
carpenter940 carpenter940 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 347
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthunder View Post
Shouldn't this be in the other thread instead of this one?

Also I would like to state that neither rockbox or the contributors are perfect

What? WHAT! Ehhh, neither am I.
__________________
My Themes:
dancing cat Miss LED BECScope Mickey Heavy Metal
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old 12-01-2008, 03:12 AM
rancid's Avatar
rancid rancid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK, Somerset
Posts: 111
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga
If you have something to say in that thread, say it.
If you read my last post in that forum topic then you will notice I did post something and I had a lot to say.....

I was just resonding to m.rehorst when he said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.rehorst
Be careful. Suggesting (or even inquiring about the existence of)
Which I have to agree with.
__________________
Backups are for Losers !!!
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 AM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancid View Post
If you read my last post in that forum topic then you will notice I did post something and I had a lot to say.....
I didn't say you hadn't posted in that thread. I'm aware of it. Because I too posted in that thread.

I said if you had something else to say, you should say it. Pointing out that you had previously said unrelated things is neither interesting nor relevent.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rancid View Post
I was just resonding to m.rehorst when he said:


Which I have to agree with.
And which I've already pointed out is a load of bullshit, and which you have not attempted to contest. I assume this is because you realize how stupid it is.

What exactly is your point?
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old 12-01-2008, 10:27 PM
shurik shurik is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2
Default

yea I would not recommend doing it yourself
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old 12-02-2008, 08:57 AM
rancid's Avatar
rancid rancid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK, Somerset
Posts: 111
Default

Saratoga, Calm down no need to swear, its a public forum and lots of people come here. I know exactly what I am saying, and what I am saying is not stupid.

The original quote form m.rehorst:
Quote:
Be careful. Suggesting (or even inquiring about the existence of) changes here implies that rockbox isn't perfect and by extension the programmers aren't perfect either. There are some who do not take kindly to such implied insults. You have been warned!

m.rehorst was being sarcastic when he said the above and in doing so was just giving advise to Sansae260noob that there could be a backlash against any one that suggested or asked for help to change the menu layout.

I responded to m.rehorst post with:
Quote:
Too True, for those who want too see how ugly it can get, take a look at m.rehorst's thread on a simlar request:
You then said,
Quote:
If you have something to say in that thread, say it.

I replied,
Quote:
If you read my last post in that forum topic then you will notice I did post something and I had a lot to say.....

You then replied,
Quote:
I didn't say you hadn't posted in that thread. I'm aware of it. Because I too posted in that thread.
Quote:
I said if you had something else to say, you should say it. Pointing out that you had previously said unrelated things is neither interesting nor relevent.
You said in “If you have something to say in that thread, say it.” And not “If you had something else to say, you should say it” you missed a bit where you said “in that thread”

Now which thread are you talking about???? This one or the other one….

Hang on… before you respond, I have posted in the previous thread which you agree too.
The relevance of my post was in response to m.rehorst’s post, as described above, so saying it was not relevant is indeed wrong, it is 100% relevant to m.rehorst’s post.
But if you are refering to the threads orginal subject then as you say it is not relevent, which would include your posts as well except where you said,
Quote:
You'd have to edit the source code.

I am sorry that you find that my response to be unrelated and un-interesting, I am not forcing you to read them or for you to reply to them.

For those concerned please do not read this post as you may not find it interesting and it is unrelated to the threads orginal subject. I am aware of this and would like to apologise to you all in advance.
__________________
Backups are for Losers !!!

Last edited by rancid; 12-02-2008 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old 12-02-2008, 12:16 PM
Llorean Llorean is offline
Rockbox Developer
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 397
Default

There's never really a backlash against someone who wants help doing it for theirself. But when people come in to whine about how Rockbox does it (and that's what the original poster in the other thread was doing, unless he seriously wanted an answer to the question "Who's idea was it to put the music under a menu selection called "database"?") there's certainly going to be a backlash.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old 12-02-2008, 06:32 PM
TBOL3 TBOL3 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 58
Default

Wow, talk about thread hijack, what on earth does discussing the validity of a DIFFERENT thread have to do with this one? (sorry if I sound rude, I just think it's funny). Anyway, I agree that the rockbox devs are not perfect. The reason that I use rockbox is because it's good, it's great. I don't buy the whole, 'it's free, so what can you expect' philosophy. I use FLOSS, not because it's free (libre, well, actually I'm moving towards this way now), but because it's better. And, when I see a problem, I will point it out, but in a nice way, because they are VERY nice to give me the great package for free. Now, back on topic. I think the reason that everyone was complaining is because this is the wrong forums to post a comment on. So, can we please cool the arguments here? m.rehorst was right for giving the link to a safer place to make the discussion. Now, back to address the original purpose of the thread. No, you can not change the theme as a default option in rockbox. The feature simply does not exist, do to a lack of interest. Now, I don't really want that feature, I prefer the way rockbox is currently organized. And posting here, asking people to change it, isn't going to do much, because their is so little momentum behind it. You can probably do a few things though: 1. If you have any art skills, make a WPS, and theme, to do the job (yes, I believe that it can be done devs). 2. Wait for someone like me to make it. It may take a while, but it will probably eventually get done. If you take this option, please, do not post threads every couple of weeks asking about the progress. 3. Go back to the OF, yes I know it's not as good, but hay, it IS an option.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old 12-02-2008, 10:59 PM
saratoga saratoga is offline
Rockbox Developer / Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,608
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancid View Post
[Calm down no need to swear, its a public forum and lots of people come here.
I am calm, and swearing is appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancid View Post
The original quote form m.rehorst:

m.rehorst was being sarcastic when he said the above and in doing so was just giving advise to Sansae260noob that there could be a backlash against any one that suggested or asked for help to change the menu layout.

I responded to m.rehorst post with:

You then said,

I replied,

You then replied,


You said in “If you have something to say in that thread, say it.” And not “If you had something else to say, you should say it” you missed a bit where you said “in that thread”
These two statements are functionally identical. Your objection here is a nonsensical wall of words that doesn't say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancid View Post
I am sorry that you find that my response to be unrelated and un-interesting, I am not forcing you to read them or for you to reply to them.
You are asking me to though, since you're quoting me. Its really just a common curtesy that if you're going to quote someone that you try to post something topical, relevent, or interesting. Right now you're just throwing useless words at me, and I am now asking you to stop. Either make an argument using words about ideas or do not quote me.

Last edited by saratoga; 12-02-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: spelling mistake
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old 12-03-2008, 05:07 AM
Daveybaby Daveybaby is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 106
Default

Jesus christ, what a pointless exercise. Any mods about?

In my experience it's fairly standard practice for open source devs to overreact to actual or perceived criticism of their projects. That and the now all too familiar "learn to code and do it yourself" response to feature requests is one of the reasons why open source is so very far away from being 'ready for the mainstream'*. A bit of a shame really, but thats humans for you.

By the way, the same thing happens with tedious regularity over on the official forums if anyone was thinking about heading over there.


* with a few notable exceptions, such as some of the linuxes, and openoffice, but those are effectively run as commercial projects anyway, so theyre not really the same thing at all.

[edited to be less ranty, if you can believe that]

Last edited by Daveybaby; 12-03-2008 at 05:37 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 AM
rancid's Avatar
rancid rancid is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK, Somerset
Posts: 111
Default

lol,

People take life too seriously,

TBOL3 as you are properly aware the other thread is asking the same thing, and this thread has got out of hand.

Rockbox modders and developers, Thank you for an amazing piece of firmware.

As said it is not perfect for everyone, so back on topic, is there a way of changing the menu structure?
__________________
Backups are for Losers !!!
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
games, menu, podcasts

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 PM.