android
Old 10-15-2008, 08:27 AM

Default slotMusic player official

http://www.sansa.com/

also hints that they are killing the weaker links
like the slotMusic idea or not, you gotta admit they got some good graphic designers over there working on that site

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-15-2008, 08:35 AM

Very nice, they got rid of that awful cheesy Flash-only site... linking to specific pages and downloads finally works, and page loading times aren't glacial anymore.

Here's more about that music cassette SD card store: http://www.slotmusic.org/

Old 10-15-2008, 09:23 AM

If they want this to be a success they need to really get people to see that they music will work on any microsd compatible mp3 player, pc or phone and not just things with the slot music lable

Old 10-15-2008, 09:32 AM
ABI Founder

Here is my SlotMusic player review.

I think its pretty interesting, but im not convinced it will catch on.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:35 AM

interesting, i take it that you can buy an album then move it off the card...leaving you with a 1gb card...right? or is it locked against reuse?

Old 10-15-2008, 10:00 AM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrododorF View Post
interesting, i take it that you can buy an album then move it off the card...leaving you with a 1gb card...right? or is it locked against reuse?
the card is just a regular 1GB card with files on it- unlocked and unencrypted. You could format it and use in any other device if you wanted to.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

IT is somewhat different, and I could see myself jogging w/it, be I think your right to say this may not really be all that big a thing. I like that any sd is free for use anywhere you like later on down the road. Still, it kinda' makes the tech too disposable IMO.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:05 PM

Nice review Enzo ... I still think I'd rather have the sq & freedom the Clip provides per your point.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-15-2008, 04:02 PM

Well, except for the lacking of a random option, this little device might be an iPod Shuffle kliller.

A music player for newbies. Maybe kids or older people who aren't as tecchie as we are. Nice present too. Pretty cheap, so if they lose it or break it, it's not a big deal. $28 for the player and a 2GB MicroSD.

Also it's the cheapest OGG + FLAC player in the market.

For gym or jogging it's also a perfect choice.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:43 PM

i don't know, i still prefer CDs, but let's see how this goes...

Old 10-15-2008, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nice View Post
like the slotMusic idea or not, you gotta admit they got some good graphic designers over there working on that site
true that, it looks waaay better now

Music Organizer: MediaMonkey
My Last.fm

Old 10-18-2008, 06:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Slot Music Player missed the boat

Hello all, first time poster, I've lurked a little tho
I agree with MFG, there shoulda been a shuffle option.. Especially without a screen to navigate with. I like the AAA battery thing though...if it had shuffle, with all the different capacity cards out there....that could have killed the *cough*Apple*cough* shuffle. My micro card would have given me 8x the capacity of the "cheapest" Apple for about the same price. Oh well....perhaps I'll just buy a Clip for gym/work use

Old 10-18-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFG View Post
Well, except for the lacking of a random option, this little device might be an iPod Shuffle kliller.
[...]
Also it's the cheapest OGG + FLAC player in the market.
According to Sandisk, it plays only mp3 and non-DRM wma, no word on ogg and flac. EnzoTen's review doesn't say anything about the supported music formats either. I not sure about the Shuffle killer, but I sure wish it could be a viable alternative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I agree with MFG, there shoulda been a shuffle option.. Especially without a screen to navigate with. I like the AAA battery thing though...if it had shuffle, with all the different capacity cards out there....that could have killed the *cough*Apple*cough* shuffle. My micro card would have given me 8x the capacity of the "cheapest" Apple for about the same price.
I also like the AAA battery thing, the reason my player is an iriver T60. With a screen and a tuner (and shuffle), it could kick lots of ass.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:32 AM

To my knowledge, most modern CD players come with USB and SD Card slots built in standard (I know my little (cheap) CD player does) so this COULD possibly be big if marketed correctly I beleive. I mean, when downloading music, it usually just stays on the one device, and with CD's, they are quite bulky, but on an SD card, and with todays technology, this card could be used anywhere, Cars, MP3 Players, Computers, Phones and even Planes (like how now planes armrests come with USB connections etc), all from the one portable little card. I beleive the theory behind this is quite interesting, but I agree with everyone, I do not see this getting big, although it does have the potential to go places.
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 10-20-2008, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Hello all, first time poster, I've lurked a little tho
I agree with MFG, there shoulda been a shuffle option.. Especially without a screen to navigate with. I like the AAA battery thing though...if it had shuffle, with all the different capacity cards out there....that could have killed the *cough*Apple*cough* shuffle. My micro card would have given me 8x the capacity of the "cheapest" Apple for about the same price. Oh well....perhaps I'll just buy a Clip for gym/work use
Go for the clip it destroys apple.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:54 PM

it probably won't take off so much because of the reasons stated already, but they would have better luck with video, a DRM-free microSD carrying an avi video so you can easily throw it on a PMP, or run it from a pda/phone

Old 10-22-2008, 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nice View Post
they would have better luck with video, a DRM-free microSD carrying an avi video so you can easily throw it on a PMP, or run it from a pda/phone
As technology now exits to hold a large amount of data in such small spaces, Video on such a media couldn't be half bad

Video would be a good idea on it, especially in a kids device - Less stuff to carry, easier to manage, no scratches. I have seen this sort of an idea done - The Game Boy Advance. I have seen episodes to shows saved onto cartridges which can be played back on the GBA. The only downside of using it with a kids would be its smaller, and it could get lost = kids
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Last edited by copeys; 10-22-2008 at 05:04 AM.