android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Headphones

Old 10-09-2008, 07:55 PM

Default Which headphones with which mp3 player are the best for metal?

I have to choose between the sansa fuze and cowon d2 AND a good pair of earphones. Which player with ____ headphones without any equalizer presets or customizer turned on would sound best with metal music, guitars, and that type of stuff? I listen to a lot of different metal including Iron Maiden so this is quite important to me.

My headphone budget is in the $50-$100 range. Which pair of headphones has the best sounding bass(crisp, not too loud and boomy, and no roll off) and just generally sounds the best with electric guitar and etc.?

Last edited by d_headshot; 10-10-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-09-2008, 10:21 PM

For the sake of not starting another post, I was going to ask the same question. Except the metal I listen to is alot heavier than Iron Maiden... (All That Remains, All Shall Perish, Lamb of God, etc.)

For me it's between VModa Vibes or Sennheiser CX300.. I'm willing to spend about 100$ish on a good pair.. if anyone wants to recommend anything else.

My current player is a Zune 8gb with *Sigh* Stock buds...

Thanks to anyone that replys

Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
For the sake of not starting another post, I was going to ask the same question. Except the metal I listen to is alot heavier than Iron Maiden... (All That Remains, All Shall Perish, Lamb of God, etc.)

For me it's between VModa Vibes or Sennheiser CX300.. I'm willing to spend about 100$ish on a good pair.. if anyone wants to recommend anything else.

I've got both and the Vibes Kill the 300s all day long. I would say go with the Vibes for metal, no question

Old 10-09-2008, 11:26 PM

Thanks alot, I'm going to buy them now xD

Old 10-09-2008, 11:33 PM

Yea second opinions that the vibes no doubt are better than the cx300s. Especially for metal it seems their sound signature fits it perfectly.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post

but the zune stockbuds aren't actually bad...dont throw them away now...

Old 10-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I prefer a clean and clear sounding set of cans when listening to metal. It depends what you really enjoy out of metal. Killer Guitar solos or Powerfull Performance (bassy, impactful).

In the 100$ range there isn't anything that can do both, that well. Unless you go for a set of full sized cans.

I prefer a good bit of clarity in my metal, so I mostly listen to my im716's for now. Then use my Audio Technica a900's and hd600s for at home listening. However I did enjoy my old set of V6's for there bass and clarity. So if I could find a set of IEMs that could do that, without costing a huge ammount of money I might buy them in the future, q-Jays maybe.

Old 10-10-2008, 04:23 AM

vmoda bass freq are a bit cheaper and still very good, i've written a review of them compared to the cx-300's, have a look...

Old 10-10-2008, 06:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

V-Moda Bass Freq's rock,........ I use em' all the time!!!!

Old 10-10-2008, 06:45 AM

Could look at the mylarone x3i's too.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 10-10-2008, 01:39 PM

I was asking about headphones not in-ear phones or ear buds

Old 10-10-2008, 03:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Right, yeah, sorry we do that here

Ask for headphones, we sugest IEMs... Ask for a MP3 player, we sugest the Clip or D2.

So what type of headphones are you looking for? Closed or Open?

One of my all time favorite metals cans are the Sony MDR-V6's (nowadays they are sold as MDR-7506's) They are a really good set of cans for fast guitar riffs and they also have a good deal of power in them on the lower end.

However for more mainstream guitar music, there are better cans out there, especialy as the V6's have a recessed midrange. Which works really well in metal imo, but in blues and such it can sorta take away from the whole vibe of it.

A slightly more expensive set of cans you can get from Audio Technica, the ATH-a500 have alittle less impactfull bass, but they go alot lower, and have more controled highs. The price for them might be abit higher then what they used to cost (100$) due to the economy and all :P Oh and these cans are pretty big, but they are probibly one of the most, if not the most comfortable set of cans ever made. (Same design as my a900's)

Oh and despite what a whole buncha people might say, stay away from Sennheiser HD 280's. They aren't a bad set of "overall" cans, but they pale in comparison to the control of the V6's for rock and metal. Just remember, that I only recomend the V6's (7506) any other sony headphone sounds terrible... These cans were made (1984-85) when Sony had a higher standard of Headphones then they do these days :P

Last edited by Jack4L; 10-10-2008 at 03:29 PM.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 PM

What's open or closed and what's this "cans" that everyone keeps talking about?

Old 10-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Cans is just a slang word for headphones. Basicaly anything that uses a cup to hold the driver of the headphone could be called a set of cans, but I see people use the word cans for every kind of headphone earphone earbud and IEM.

Open and closed cans are exactly what they sound like.

With open you get sound leaking in, and out. Basicaly any headphone with a grill on the side is open. Having an open headphone defineatly improves soundstage and its alot easier to make sound right. You get the best sound from open headphones in a quiet room. Not recomended to be used in loud environments, like on a bus or in a plane.

With closed type headphones they try to isolate you from outside noise by creating a closed seal arround your ear. Closed headphones are alot harder to get the right kinda sound from, as you need to take into consideration the fact that the sound isn't escaping out anywhere, and in really bad cases the sound is bouncing arround inside the headphone cup, creating distortion. Still in my oppinion isolation is more important with headphones then achiving a near perfect sound signature.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:32 PM

No mention of Grado for metal yet??

Old 10-11-2008, 01:34 PM

And also, with the open kind, like Jack4L said, sound leaks out. So if you're in a quiet room with other people, they might be able to hear your music, especially if you plan on listening to metal... So I'd go with closed headphones if I were you. Maybe the Sennheiser HD280s?
To come:
Zune 120

Old 10-12-2008, 02:50 AM

I'd say senn hd 212 for headphones and D2 or sony walkman for mp3