android
Old 09-25-2008, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
I don't understand whatever you're trying to say.
I believe he meant to say that he finds the extended battery life to be important enough to count as a feature of the new version of Rockbox

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-25-2008, 09:15 PM
Off-Topic Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpalsm View Post
I believe he meant to say that he finds the extended battery life to be important enough to count as a feature of the new version of Rockbox
Exactly.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:19 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpalsm
Quote:
Originally Posted by musichound View Post
Exactly.
As I said above, 3.0 does not have extended battery life verses any other version of rockbox (save for the ones early in the port).

Old 09-26-2008, 12:58 AM
Rockbox Developer

Since Rockbox has never been "released" on the Sansa, Rockbox hasn't "extended" it relative to an earlier release. So it's not a new feature. Rockbox just has "battery life" equal to whatever Rockbox's battery life is.

3.1 might see it extended though, at least for a few codecs.

Old 09-26-2008, 04:24 AM

So... How does everyone like it?

i've been using it for 3 days and its been pretty good + really stable... maybe you probably could call this " The first stable rockbox for sansa e200 Series."?
http://twitter.com/iHaxCoffee

Old 09-26-2008, 04:46 PM

it is the first stable firmware, i need a new theme, therockbox one is killing me! The sound is good like i said before. when i listen to my sony and philips, it makes my skullcandys sound like shit. The skullcandys don't have mid range sound, and they hurt my ears (there comfy but the sound bothers my ears)

Old 09-26-2008, 04:47 PM

The battery life is weird, i did a full chage and the battery meter said 16hours, and when i listen to it today the meter was low... i only use it for a hour.

Old 09-26-2008, 06:26 PM
Rockbox Developer

Did you charge it in the sandisk firmware?

Old 09-26-2008, 07:46 PM

No

Old 09-26-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beteks View Post
No
rockbox charging isn't enabled for the Sansa in 3.0.

Old 09-26-2008, 09:37 PM
Rockbox Developer

You need to be charging in the original firmware to properly charge.

Old 09-26-2008, 11:25 PM

So after using the v3 of rockbox for a few hours today, all I can see that's different is that now it's an official release. No differences in behavior or functionality, at least the way I use it. So I guess it's good that it's an official release - it got some press on engadget, and possible drummed up a few new users, but as far as I'm concerned all it did was get me slightly updated software. We'll see about battery life, but I've got a relatively new battery so that's not a big issue for me anyway.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:33 AM
Rockbox Developer

We've said, time and again, that ALL IT IS is a name, and that users should not expect to see any differences between it and the normal builds.

In fact it was a few weeks behind by the time it came out due to branching and freeze.

I don't know how many times I'll have to repeat this, but it's just a status change. The differences are between it and 2.5, the previous release version. 3.1 will need to be compared with 3.0 to see differences, and so on.

We've been saying this as far back as the release announcement that we were starting work on 3.0.

Old 09-27-2008, 12:20 PM

Yup, I gathered all that. I actually read the official rockbox forums. I just figured that it would give me an excuse to upgrade the firmware from the July version I was using, and you've got to admit that quite a fuss has been made about it what with the engadget article and all the big 3.0 announcements on various forums. So I tried the official 3.0 version, was underwhelmed, then upgraded again to the latest daily build, and all is well. What the heck - I'm one of the long time rockbox users - maybe 3 or 4 years now on various units.

Old 09-27-2008, 03:02 PM
Rockbox Developer

That's what I said, though: What were you expecting? What was the point in saying "I was underwhelmed because you guys only gave me exactly what you said you were going to give me."

Why should it be underwhelming at all to get exactly what you were told you would get? Were you expecting us to lie about it so you could be pleasantly surprised by some feature we selfishly held from the public until now?

Old 09-29-2008, 08:35 AM

Sorry, you're misunderstanding me, or I'm not being clear - probably the latter. Don't worry, I'm on your side! I wasn't expecting anything different - just that the hype from the engadget article had suggested that something had changed - I was actually glad nothing really had. Chill!

Old 10-14-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llorean View Post
You need to be charging in the original firmware to properly charge.
Color me stupid as I have yet to install or test Rockbox, but are you saying that if I install Rockbox on my Sansa e280, it won't charge while running Rockbox? Do I have to roll back the firmware to charge? That seems like a showstopper to me.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Rockbox Developer

It has dual boot.

And nobody's forcing you to use it.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
That seems like a showstopper to me.
That is why I said it was a showstopper for me, not necessarily everyone else. My wife primarily uses the player, and she prefers to keep things simple. She agreed to let me install RockBox to gain addition features, but if it is going to inconvenience her greatly, then it is a no-go.

Looking in the sub-forum there appear to be several unofficial builds, and plenty of patches not in upstream SVN. Are there any patches that would enable charging for a Sansa e280? I'm willing and capable of rolling my own build if need be.

Edit: http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/8363 - Sure enough there is a patch. I'm going to suggest that Kugel add it to his build, or I might roll my own.

Last edited by enderandrew; 10-14-2008 at 09:28 PM.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enderandrew View Post
Edit: http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/8363 - Sure enough there is a patch. I'm going to suggest that Kugel add it to his build, or I might roll my own.
Its not in the SVN builds (and probably most 3rd party builds) because we aren't convinced its entirely safe to use. Lipoly batteries have a bad habit of burning if mischarged.

Tags
sansa e200 rockbox 3.0