android
Old 04-26-2007, 06:32 AM

Default vista won't recognize zen touch

hello,

I've had a creative zen touch 20GB (firmware version 1.01.03) for about a year and a half now. previously, to transfer songs i connected it with my brother's laptop, who used XP SP2 and the Creative MediaSource Organizer that was on the CD-rom with his zen micro.
i now want to connect it to my new laptop (windows vista 32-bit). however, the computer doesn't recognize the hardware, and, as we both lost our software cds, i don't know how i can fix this. i've tried downloading the applications on the creative support website, but to install them, the device needs to be connected (which it isn't, as vista doesn't recognize it).
i've tried removing the device in the device manager, and then trying to reinstall it, but that doesn't seem to work.
i've also tried to connect to it with winamp and to sync it in windows media player, but that doesn't work either.

can anyone here help me fix this? any help would be very much appreciated...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-26-2007, 11:48 PM
ABI Invaluable

It would appear that, given the device's age, support for the Zen Touch was not included in Vista.

However, it should have detected a basic MTP device. You say you removed a driver from the Device Manager. Exactly what driver was it? And what, if anything, is displayed on Windows when you plug in your player?

Old 04-27-2007, 10:33 AM

first of all, thanks for the quick reply!

when i connect the device, it detects new hardware, but to install it, it asks for the disc that was included when i bought the player (which i lost). all other offered solutions within the menu fail.
afterwards, there's a listing for "Creative Zen Touch" under "other devices" in the device manager. in the properties menu, it says the drivers aren't installed or configured (which is correct). i can't seem to find these drivers anywhere, however.
under 'my computer', there's no sign of the device. i can't access it from my computer in any way.

i didn't delete a specific driver, i just uninstalled and than reinstalled the (already not functioning) device in the device manager, which is a "solution" they recommended on the creative support website.

is it perhaps possible that i can solve this problem by upgrading the firmware? if so, how can i do this (can't find any firmware or help on the creative support site)? i'd find it a bit ridiculous if vista wouldn't support a one and a half year old mp3-player...

Old 04-27-2007, 12:46 PM
ABI Invaluable

Ridiculous or not, that seems to be what's going on. Vista correctly identified the device and went looking for the driver, but the driver isn't included with Vista.

Your best bet is to contact Creative Technical Support for a Vista-compatible driver. As an alternative, you might be able to get away with using the XP driver listed in their downloads section. Just choose "Windows XP" instead of Vista.

Old 05-07-2007, 05:46 PM

i tried using the XP-driver, but that doesn't seem to work.
i contacted creative support as well, but they don't respond.

anyway, my brother tried to set up the player in his new linux-OS, and it worked without a hitch in less then 2 minutes. i guess we'll just use firewire to setup a fast network between our computers and transfer my songs to the mp3-player through his laptop. not a perfect solution at all, but at least it works and i can add some music every once in a while.

shame on microsoft and creative though! not supporting a relatively new (by which i mean it's definately not "old") device like mine is poor, poor customer service.

thank you very much for all your help, it's people like you that make "web v2.0" the great tool it is for solving one's problems, even if in this case it didn't work :-)!

Old 05-07-2007, 09:09 PM
ABI Invaluable

Well, glad you got it working - sort of.

As an alternative, you could set up your Vista computer to dual-boot with Windows XP, but that's an awful lot of effort just for a DAP.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:49 PM

if anyone is experiencing the same problem: i've found another solution.
i installed vmware, then set up a virtual machine with XP as OS. i then set up the virtual OS and my real OS (vista) to share my music directory, installed all creative software, connected my zen, and it worked like a charm...

note: i first tried microsoft virtual pc (which is free), but this program doesn't support usb-ports, so you'd still be connecting your zen to your vista OS, whereas with vmware, if your XP-window is active, it'll connect the mp3-player to that...

Old 09-11-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Zen Touch compatibility with Microsoft Vista

I've just purchased a new laptop with Microsoft Vista installed on it and am trying to use my Creative Zen Touch with it. I tried installing the Zen Touch installation CD, the Creative logo and sound bite appeared on the screen, then the installation window appeared, but it was blank and seemed to freeze. I've tried the process several times, but the same thing keeps happening. Just wondering if the Zen Touch and Vista are perhaps not compatible or if i'm doing something wrong in the installation process?

Would appreciate anybody's advice!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:13 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

Try uninstalling the software from Creative. It's probably not compatible with Windows Vista, and the operating system comes with a MTP driver which will probably work with your player.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:28 PM

thanks for yr help. i haven't been able to install any Creative software yet. what's a MTP driver??

Old 09-11-2007, 12:38 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

The MTP driver will allow you to transfer media from your laptop / PC to your Zen Touch using programs like Windows Media Player 11, MediaMonkey and others. You don't need to install Creative software on your Vista laptop. As a matter of fact, installing Creative software on Vista computers usually results in problems, since the software may have compatibility problems with Vista.

Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 PM

ah cool, thanks. and where can find this MTP driver??

Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

If I'm not mistaken, it's installed with Vista already. You don't have to install it separately. Try plugging your player to the USB port. Probably it will be recognized.

Edit: according to this chart from Creative, Zen Touch is natively supported on Windows Vista, that is, you won't have to install anything to make the player work with your laptop.

Keep us posted.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:01 PM

just tried that, but it failed cos there was a compatibility issue between Zen Touch and Vista. it suggested contacting Creative. what do u recommend??

Old 09-11-2007, 01:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Try checking the firmware version of your player. Do you have a desktop PC where you can plug your player into? If so, try updating the firmware to the latest version before plugging it into your laptop.

Edit: just found this thread. If you still have problems connecting your Zen Touch to your laptop after upgrading the firmware, it may be worth reading.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:18 PM

is that the firmware here, the 2.11.01 version:

http://us.creative.com/support/downl...pe=4&details=1

Old 09-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, if it's still not working with the latest firmware, try reading this thread. It may be worth trying.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:31 PM

yeah, thanks for finding that for me. i read it, but they seem to be saying that nothing really worked, except the following, which, due to my lack of computer knowledge, doesn't make too much sense to me!:

"i installed vmware, then set up a virtual machine with XP as OS. i then set up the virtual OS and my real OS (vista) to share my music directory, installed all creative software, connected my zen, and it worked like a charm..."

what does this mean?!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Page

You can use VMWare (or other similar programs) to emulate a second operating system in your computer. The member installed VMWare and created a Windows XP session while running Vista. Since Windows XP has a working driver for Zen Touch, he was able to copy music to and from the player on his Vista machine, inside the Windows XP session.

Unfortunately, VMWare is a paid program, priced between $189 and $209. With that money, you could buy a newer player.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:03 PM

Hi and thanks for the info. i am non-ITsavvy so i really dont follow your solution to getting my zen touch working with my vista os. can you dumb it down for me? many thx.