android
Old 09-20-2008, 03:35 PM

Default Player not booting....Rockbox...

Hello,

I have a Sandisk Sansa e280R - Rhapsody. I installed Rockbox on it, but I don't think It worked, but the menus worked very slowly, and I decided that I didn't want it. I never had the dual-boot option that people talked about - when I turned it on, it booted to Rockbox. The only way to get it to boot into the original firmware was to plug it in to my computer, wait for it to refresh the database, then unplug it. I think it has been in Play-for-sure mode the whole time, but I am not sure. Anyway, I when I decided I didn't want Rockbox, I got the Rockbox uninstaller. It couldn't recognize my player on Windows to uninstall Rockbox. I could see the player in Windows Explorer (XP) and drag and drop files to and from the device like normal, but the uninstaller from Rockbox (the Rockbox Uitlity) did not recognize it, even when I showed it the drive letter and everything. So I decided to take all the Rockbox files off of the device. I took all the recently modified folders basically all the rockbox stuff and probably some other stuff, and moved (cut) it onto folder on my desktop. I thought that if it didn't work, I had a backup and could just put the files back on. But now, XP won't recognize the device when I plug it in. It only recognizes it in Recovery (MSD) mode. It doesn't recognize the device because it won't boot. When I turn it on, it says

"Load main miage failed
Switch to Recovery mode"

I dual-boot Windows XP and Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy. Both OSs recognized the device after I installed Rockbox, but not after I deleted those files and folders. Now they only see it on 16MB FORMAT (Recovery) mode. I have put the pp5022.mi4 file on it, it doesn't work. I have put sansa.fmt on it as well, and both at the same time. I have also removed the battery and put it back in. What can I do????

Thank you so much for your help.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You need to reinstall the Sansa firmware via recovery mode. You need to follow these steps because the Rockbox Utility will not install Rockbox to an e200R the right way. Here is the right steps: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...0RInstallation

Old 09-20-2008, 04:25 PM

Which instructions? The unbrick ones in the link at the bottom? I went through all the unbricking ones, but none of them worked. I never got a message on my screen saying that it was formatting, and Ubuntu doesn't recognize the device when I enter manufacturing mode. However, when its in recovery mode, I see:

USB cable connected
Enter USB2.0 MSD mode
LUN0 locked
LUN0 unlocked
LUN0 locked
LUN0 unlocked
LUN0 locked
LUN0 unlocked
LUN0 locked
LUN0 unlocked

Old 09-20-2008, 07:08 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Did you reinstall the e200R firmware using the e200R firmware? Then went thru those steps on that other page.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:02 PM

Okay, I followed these instructions:

Step 1 - Original Sansa bootloader patching

Windows installer

1. Download e200rpatcher.exe
  2. Download e200-manufac-driver.zip and extract it somewhere on your computer
  3. Attach your e200R to your computer in manufacturer mode (turn on the hold switch, hold select and plug in USB while continuing to hold select for about 10s)
  4. When Windows asks for the driver, point it to the folder you extracted the driver zip file to
  5. If Windows does not ask for a driver, it means that it has installed one automatically and you must follow these steps before continuing: (For Windows XP, other versions may vary slightly)
    1. Right-click on My Computer, select Properties, go to the Hardware tab, and enter Device Manager.
    2. Under Universal Serial Bus controllers, right-click USB Mass Storage Device (or something similar) and select Update Driver.
    3. Select "No, not this time", then "Install from a list or specific location", and then "Search for the best driver in these locations" and click the "Include this location in the search" box. Now use the Browse button select the location of the drivers and click OK.
  6. Run the e200rpatcher.exe file and follow the prompts. Your Sansa should have some text on the screen. If the last line says "(something) aborted" then head to the forums and look for threads relating to your problem.
  7. If it says "Firmware Unlocked, Proceed to Step 2" then it was successful and you can continue.
It finds the Sansa e280R, but then it says

[ERR] Error writing data length
[ERR] Bulk right error (-5, Inupt/output error)
[ERR] Upload of application failed.

Then it prompts me to exit.

Old 09-20-2008, 09:14 PM

I unplugged it, tried it again, and it said it was successful on my command prompt window. However, nothing changed, and nothing was displayed on the player. Another thing that might mean something: Whenever I boot, it has the "Load main image failed Switch to Recovery mode" message, then I have to hold power for 20s to turn it off. When I unplug it from Recovery mode, I have to do the same.
And just so you know, I am completely willing to lose all data on my player, I just want to be able to use it again and put music on it.

Old 09-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You need to reinstall the e200R firmware via recovery mode tho. Here is the firmware: http://mp3support.sandisk.com/firmwa...-1.0.2.165.zip , and you can use it when you install Rockbox too.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:22 PM

So basically take the pp5022.mi4 and copy it to the player while it is in recovery mode? I have done that several times, and it didn't work this time either. It still says "Load main image failed Switch to Recovery mode." I have the correct firmware on there I think, its the bootloader that is messed up.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:06 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you 100% sure it is a e200R? Can you post the version.txt file that is in recovery mode?

Old 09-22-2008, 08:15 AM

My player is an e280R. It says so on the back of the player, and I have used Rhapsody DRM files with it. Here is the version.txt file:
Version Info: Product Rev.: T QPܩUz8|
Base Code:

Old 09-22-2008, 08:24 AM

It's a binary file. You might open it with a Hex editor to make more sense of it.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:41 AM

Nope, that doesn't help. I still can't read it. But the physical player says e280R, so it is a Rhapsody player, regardless of what is going on in the firmware.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:50 AM

Backs can be swapped, so just because it says e280R on it doesn't make it so. If you bought it new as a e280R or had "Rhapsody channels" on it before rockbox then I'd say that was pretty good evidence.

Old 09-22-2008, 02:03 PM

Yeah I bought it new from Best Buy, and I have put Rhapsody DRM music on it that can't be played with anything but a Rhapsody player and Rhapsody software. It is a Rhapsody player. It came with Rhapsody channels. However, it may not have Rhapsody software at the moment...

Old 09-22-2008, 03:04 PM

And FYI: If there was something I did wrong which made the Rockbox menus load so slowly, I would gladly reinstall it if I could boot my player. I like the idea of Rockbox, and several of its features, but sometimes (not always) when I was browsing throughout artists/albums, it would take more than 30s to load a page or go back. That is unacceptable.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Typical load time for menus is probably a couple hundred ms, maybe less if you have the file cache enabled, so yeah something was wrong.

Old 09-22-2008, 05:52 PM

Okay, so if I can find out how to fix it that would be cool... I just want to get my player playing music and booting again!

Old 09-22-2008, 06:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You have corrupted version.txt. So you need to try this or this or this. I am not sure what one will help you.

Old 09-22-2008, 09:55 PM

Okay, the first link you gave me looks good, but how can I get a hidden partition dump file for the e280? I need that, and can't find it on the web. The second one looked good, but it didn't work. It didn't fix the version.txt. I don't think the third link applied. If anyone knows where to get that dump file...Thanks.

Old 09-22-2008, 10:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The 2nd and 3rd link does the same thing, but they are different in a way. They sometimes fixes the corrupted version.txt file. Since I have not got this issue myself, I am just going by what people have tried.

I am not sure where to get the hidden partition dump file too. I think someone from Rockbox might be able to you that if you need it.

I would try the 2nd or 3rd link first.

Tags
boot, recovery, rockbox