android
Old 09-20-2008, 01:56 AM

Default Battery replacement for Sansa Clip

A battery that's listed as a replacement for the "Apple iPod Nano 1st Gen" 3.7V 330mAH works in my 2gb Sansa Clip. Ordered it from Eforcity through Amazon. After my Clip went through the washer & dryer it wouldn't power up unless plugged into a USB port. I pried the case apart without breaking it, somehow, & soldered the replacement battery's small wires in place. The replacement's wires come out the top instead of the side like the original but were long enough to loop over the top to the side. The Clip's working now & sounds as good ever despite being washed & dried.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-20-2008, 02:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I wonder if it adds or subtracts battery life. Can you test it?

Old 09-20-2008, 05:02 AM

Nice to hear, why not post some pics and mini tutorial?

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-20-2008, 04:48 PM

Haven't tested the new battery life yet & I might be having recharge problems. Hope I didn't post too soon. I've done one recharge since installing the new battery & used it for about 3 hrs after that. Plugged into my laptop it didn't recharge. Got it plugged into the desktop now. Hope it charges up again. It did once before.
Too late to take pics because I've already snapped it back together & I'm afraid I'd break it if I tried to take it apart again. There's a posting by Grahm Skee that shows a disassembled Clip: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...sassembled.php
You can see how the battery is attached there.
If it doesn't recharge I'll let you know & apologize for wasting space on the forum.

Old 09-20-2008, 11:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good luck, brave soul!

Old 09-22-2008, 12:40 AM

Thanks, my desktop is recharging it, finally, but seems to be taking forever. I'll just leave it plugged in and see what happens.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Hope you have good luck then. I see that the Clip battery has three wires, and that battery has two wires.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:30 AM

Bad luck for me. The battery wont recharge. It had a bit of a charge on it out of the package because the Clip turned on & was able to play after I first installed it. It charged up after about 4 hrs plugged in. The battery indicator had moved half way. Used it for about 3hrs after that & plugged it in again. Now it just lights up with the battery low message & shuts down despite being charged all day.
By the way, advcomp2019, there are 3 wires on that replacement battery. They were black, white, & light brown. The original had black, red, & blue. Maybe I got the white & brown ones in the wrong spots. Think I'll just get a new player. Probably a Samsung YP-U3. I like the Clip but if the U3 is like my old U2, then it's better for listening to podcasts. It has the play speed adjust feature I need for podcasts like the Clip does but also lets me shuffle music with podcasts if I want to.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:42 AM

Sad to hear but great try ... that would certainly be nice to have a battery to replace on the clip as we have two. I had the same issue with the stone in less than a year ...

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 09-23-2008, 04:11 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried removing the brown wire?

Old 09-23-2008, 11:45 PM

I tried that & it didn't work. Tried switching the brown & white & that didn't work either. I liked the Clip but I've ordered a Samsung YP-U3 to replace it.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:31 PM

Default Apologies

After all that run around, I put the original battery back in & my Clip is working again. It even charged up. My posting might not have been a complete waste of your time though because I think that iPod battery would work as a replacement. I took a closer look & saw that I might have caused a short when I pulled the wires around the top to the side. If I'd have been more careful I bet it would've worked. Don't want to take the time to try again now though. This whole time I figured the original battery's little circuit board was ruined from the washing & drying. Guess it was ok. Maybe things just dried out & decided to work again.

Old 09-24-2008, 09:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Great to hear then.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cycled View Post
I liked the Clip but I've ordered a Samsung YP-U3 to replace it.
Ouch - quite a step down the quality ladder, in my opinion: Samsung YP-U3 Review

Old 09-25-2008, 11:14 AM

Ok, dfkt, you convinced me. I canceled my Samsung U3 order.

Old 09-25-2008, 11:54 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Indeed the U3 isn't a match for the clip. I have used pretty much every small player thats currently on the market and nothign beats the Clip so far. getting a Sony b130 next week which is my best hope for a clip-buster so far, but i have my doubts

Old 09-26-2008, 06:30 PM
Redneck Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cptnodegard View Post
Indeed the U3 isn't a match for the clip. I have used pretty much every small player thats currently on the market and nothign beats the Clip so far. getting a Sony b130 next week which is my best hope for a clip-buster so far, but i have my doubts
If only Cowon wouldn't have stopped making their U2.

Old 09-26-2008, 07:03 PM

He's talking about the Samsung YP-U3, which is a bit crappy, not the Cowon U3, which is a quite nice player.

Old 06-03-2009, 11:42 AM

Default Sansa Clip

I read on another forum that the red lead from the battery comes off the '+' solder on the main board caused by the battery shifting in the case. The one I opened had that red lead disconnected. Just soldering and some double-sided tape or glue under the battery to keep it from shifting should do the trick.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:16 AM

I think this is just due to the soldering job on the clips internals to its battery is piss poor, I dropped my clip a few weeks ago on some concrete(yeh bad me fully) I thought I was screwed, but a few days later I opened it up for inspection and found that one of the wires had come lose, I carefully removed the other half of the case and almost had the wire back on perfectly when the far one came loose, I soldered it back on then the middle one came off too, so I ended up soldering them all down as best I could

yeh thats my lil story, if anyones clip lights up when its connected but doesn't seen to hold a charge this'll probably be whats wrong
btw mines a V1 clip, hopefully the V2 is being put togther better

-Steve

Tags
battery, replacement, sansa clip