android
Old 09-18-2008, 06:09 AM

Default IVO m100

I have been using a IVO m100 player for two weeks now and it has performed quite adequately. This is twice as long as any of my unfortunate experiences with the Sansa Express. The SE has a tendency to malfunction in a matter of days after first use.

The IVO m100 is a VERY inexpensive player ($15.00 at Fry's Electronics for a 1G player). It may be a no-name or Fry's house brand for a Google search on the brand yields little information.

A stroke of genius is the omission of the Power-On button. It turns on when the headphone plug is inserted and goes off when the plug is removed. If, like me, you have had players which stop responding to Power-On, this is brilliant as it eliminates a source of mechanical failure.
There are two simple controls which combine the Fwd/Prev functions with VolUp/VolDn.

It does have some problems. It does not resume play at the point of interruption when reactivated. It starts at the very beginning. With no visual display, there is no means of determining the current track or the play time.

Once in a while, the player may fail during play. But, so far I have found that it recovers nicely on the next power up.

For a $15 MP3, I was expecting this to be a completely disposable player. But it has outperformed much more expensive players.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 10-03-2008, 09:57 AM

After a month and a half, the IVO m100 from Frys finally died. Although that may seem like a relatively short life, in my sad experience with MP3 players, this is a good month longer than MP3 players more than 10 times as expensive.

The IVO m100 had its problems. Occasionally it would not begin playing on insertion of the headphone plug, or it might stop playing when first adjusting the volume. But those problems disappeared when the plug was removed and re-inserted.

I believe that the Lithium battery may have died in this player. I left it on the USB port overnight, but it would not turn on and play. At $15 a pop, I bought multiple players anticipating that something would go wrong. Its hard to beat such a low price. The MP3 files still show when I connect the dead player to a USB port. So, now I can use it a flash drive and still get some use out of it.

Old 10-13-2008, 02:15 PM

Default Another IVO m100 died

Player went silent for 5 minutes during playback, then returned, but periodically there was static over the audio track. I reviewed the source for the audio and it was good. I put another known good audio on the player and it began failing also.

The failure rate for the IVO is approximately the same as more expensive MP3 players. It seems likely that all vendors are using the same shoddy components in manufacture.

Once more, I can still use the player as a 1G flash disk. So, it is not a total loss.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:43 PM

Latest IVO died after 3 more months of faithful service. R.I.P. Stopped playing while I was out jogging. This time re-inserting headset to force a power-off cycle did not revive. Player was unrecognized by Windows XP when attached to USB port. So, it is irrevocably dead and cannot even be used as a USB flash drive.

But, even the 3+ months of service I got out of the IVO far exceeds the typical life of far more expensive MP3 players I have purchased. The worst was an Apple iPod which died after just 2 days of use.

Fortunately, the IVO is so cheap (~$15) that I purchased a small supply of them for ready replacements. This should last me for a year or so given the current failure rate.