android
Old 09-17-2008, 02:57 PM

Default Should I get this?

I've been looking at new players, since my Sansa Fuze was refunded. I've always liked the way the P2 looked, and with the price drop I was thinking of nabbing one. But then as I thought that, the new iTouch came out and looks really nice. (Sorry for bringing Apple in here)

I don't know what to choose, money necessarily isn't a BIG problem, but it could matter later on. So any advice?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 09-17-2008, 03:37 PM

touch has wifi, which you'll rarely use, so get over it. P2 has dictionary, even if you don't have wifi signal, calculator, mcuh better text and ebook viewer, RSS(podcasts), 16:9 widescreen, better for movies, and you don't have to use itunes. plus it's a better fit in your pocket.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:22 PM

I would say get the ipod touch. It has more features than the p2 plus everybody can create programs for it so it can have way better text and ebook. Plus all of the amazing games u can get for it. I think i seen monkey ball in one video? Over all the p2 is old the new ipod touch is new and cheaper and since nobody else's mp3s are out yet that can match and beat it id say go with it(touch). Unless of course you wanna wait months for every other company to relase their new touch screen mp3s.

Old 09-17-2008, 05:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

just note that compared to the fuze (and every other good player) ipod touch has really bad sound quality.
everything else about it is awesome....EXCEPT, it sounds baddddddd

Old 09-17-2008, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo View Post
I would say get the ipod touch. It has more features than the p2 plus everybody can create programs for it so it can have way better text and ebook. Plus all of the amazing games u can get for it. I think i seen monkey ball in one video? Over all the p2 is old the new ipod touch is new and cheaper and since nobody else's mp3s are out yet that can match and beat it id say go with it(touch). Unless of course you wanna wait months for every other company to relase their new touch screen mp3s.
I'm not the kind of guy who has a whole lot of patience so I usually don't wait. Unless I know for sure it's going released and there are news of it.

SQ isn't a huge factor since I'm used to the terrible quality some players give. Man, I really don't know, I'm leaning towards the touch.

Old 09-17-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggalo View Post
I would say get the ipod touch. It has more features than the p2
Really? So the "new" iTouch has bluetooth? It can play on three headsets at the same time(2 bluetooth and 1 rca set)?

Not everyone wants an MP3 player to play games(of course the P2 is capable of playing games) or needs wifi. I also prefer the size of the P2 vs the iTouch. Lastly, I am happy not to need iTunes for ANYTHING.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post
Really? So the "new" iTouch has bluetooth? It can play on three headsets at the same time(2 bluetooth and 1 rca set)?

Not everyone wants an MP3 player to play games(of course the P2 is capable of playing games) or needs wifi. I also prefer the size of the P2 vs the iTouch. Lastly, I am happy not to need iTunes for ANYTHING.
the touch doesnt have bluetooth but it has a shitload of more features than the p2. wifi, SDK (which the p2 never got lol), bigger screen, better interface, more applications, better games availiable, just a lot of little things which i think could be better than the bluetooth on the p2 which some people probably never used.

well "not everyone" wants an MP3 player with bluetooth so they can play over three headsets. i could use your argument to defend the touch's features.

Old 09-18-2008, 12:17 AM

the battery life on the touch would kill all justifications of using it. 4 hrs of wifi to isten to internet radio(only in wi-fi hotspots so don't move) or 30 hrs of radio on the p2. The games as well are gonna kill your battery life too.

I heard the P3 was gonna come out before Christmas so you might wanna look forward to that.

I'm not huge SQ guy because i can't tell the difference between Boss Headphones and apple headphones besides a little bit of comfort and a lot of money but the Dnse will really bring out whatever sounds in the music you want which is nice.

Also, if you like reading books at all the text viewer is perfect. I read the Bible on it everyday and it is wonderful.

If you care about this at all, The ipod has a built in speaker.(which will drain the battery more)

SDK!!!!!

Old 09-18-2008, 12:28 AM

The obsession with watching videos on a MUSIC player has always confused me. The same thing goes for games. If I want videos, I have my computer, my blu-ray player, and my HDTV. If I want games, I've got my computer. Neither player gets any advantage for that crap, as far as I'm concerned. OK, so I have the season finale of both House and BSG on my P2, but that was more to see how the quality turns out.

Here's why I prefer the P2.

1. It sounds better.
2. It fits in my pocket better.
3. It sounds better.
4. I don't have to go anywhere near iTunes. Plug in P2, drag new tracks to the Music folder, uplug P2. No importing, no transcoding, no letting the MCP..err...iTunes index every media file I own, none of that. UMS mode, for the win
5. Bluetooth. Yes I do use this. If I'm out running and my phone rings, I can answer it easily.
6. FM tuner with the option to record. As a radio DJ, this is VERY useful for doing on-the-spot airchecks and such.
7. Did I mention it sounds better?

Old 09-18-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinzhitan14 View Post
the touch doesnt have bluetooth but it has a shitload of more features than the p2. wifi, SDK (which the p2 never got lol), bigger screen, better interface, more applications, better games availiable, just a lot of little things which i think could be better than the bluetooth on the p2 which some people probably never used.

well "not everyone" wants an MP3 player with bluetooth so they can play over three headsets. i could use your argument to defend the touch's features.
The point is that you make it sound like the iTouch is the ONLY player with features missing from others. The bigger screen comes at the cost of the size of the player. I don't think too many people will actually use the wifi for anything more than the novelty. Of course there are people who will use it but the majority will buy it because it HAS that feature but never use it. Same goes for the games, although I see this getting more use than the wifi.

If you want a gee whiz device to impress your friends then by all means the iTouch has the most wow. If you want an MP3 player with good form follows function design I prefer the P2. It's the best compromise of screen size vs overall size and the interface is quick and easy.

I wouldn't mind an SD card slot but then you have to deal with loading two devices(essentially). The current crop of MP3 players with expansion slots do not allow you to load to them as one seamless pool of memory. You have to load to "internal" and "external" memory separately. The better devices will integrate both memory banks into one library but only after you load media files to them separately. It's kind of a pain. I almost didn't buy the P2 because it was missing the expansion slot.

Once you have a player with bluetooth you won't want one without it. I can use bluetooth WHEREVER I go. It allows me to listen to my MP3s and my phone will interrupt the current song to allow me to answer the phone. This functionality works with my BT headphones and with my car audio system. The reason that Microsoft and Apple haven't embraced bluetooth is because it takes away the control they have over the device. You would no longer need to depend on proprietary interfaces to other devices.

Old 09-18-2008, 01:38 PM

The touch can take it to the poopshoot.

I mean, it's got bomberman, which is great, but just get a game boy and buy it.
The wifi? Why can't I wait till I get home again?
iTunes? Maybe you like it now, but what if you get annoyed with it a year from now, or if they change it in a bad way? Can you go and just use something else? no, because apple is gay, and makes you use their program and won't even let other mp3 players work on iMac's. I recon they're a bit conceited.
Bigger screen perhaps, but is it true widescreen and does it fit in your pocket withour you worrying, "If I sit down, will my pants stretch and crack it?" or "Will people ask me what that bulge in my pants is?"
I don't feel like buying that song, let me just record it off the radio on my P2
Ohhh, nice, game highlights in the morning show, I think I'll record them and brag about how the Bears kicked the Colts asses last night.

Yeah. Right in the poopshoot.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:34 PM

Eh, it looks like cost is a factor now, since I lost a few dollars. Not to mention I need a new cellphone.

I might just get the cellphone first, and then wait for news of the P3, should it come to that.

But thanks guys, you guys convinced me not to get the touch (Well, for now..).

Old 09-18-2008, 02:54 PM

ohh yea I forgot about cost, Best buy now 4GB for 148 and 179 for 8GB

Old 09-18-2008, 06:54 PM

Have any of you guys actually listened to the new Touch on headphones other than stock crappy ibuds?

Old 09-18-2008, 09:51 PM

Stock iPod Touch earbuds vs stock P2 earbuds = P2, for the win.

Sony MDR-V600's: iPod Touch vs P2 = P2 wins.

Old 09-18-2008, 10:26 PM

the itouch also has a bigger screen but the p2 has a larger resolution which means better quality video on a p2.

SDK!!!!!

Old 09-19-2008, 03:04 PM

Yeah I read somewhere that if you want the "wow" factor to imress people get a touch. People don't say wow to a touch they say, "oh check it out he has an ipod."
If you have a P2 people are like, "whoa thats sleek, what is it?"

Old 09-19-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearview View Post
Yeah I read somewhere that if you want the "wow" factor to imress people get a touch. People don't say wow to a touch they say, "oh check it out he has an ipod."
If you have a P2 people are like, "whoa thats sleek, what is it?"
you do get the wow factor with the touch. I know from watching somebody showing off his. With the p2 from personal experience people say "thats cool, is that the touch?". Every time somebody doesnt know what the p2 is they ask if its the touch.... pretty annoying but annyways....

Everybody who has replied have been completely bias. I'm really not trying to be bias myself cause i own a p2, ive had to since the week they came out and i love it but i really do think the new touch is a better deal.

Your best bet is to do tons of research and decide for yourself cause asking here is gonna get bias replies.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:11 PM

The thing I remarked it's that the brightness of P2 is lower than iPod Touch. When I am outside on a sunny day even with the brightness at max, I have difficulty seeing really good.
This is what I don't like about the P2

Old 09-20-2008, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaplesBill View Post
The point is that you make it sound like the iTouch is the ONLY player with features missing from others. The bigger screen comes at the cost of the size of the player. I don't think too many people will actually use the wifi for anything more than the novelty. Of course there are people who will use it but the majority will buy it because it HAS that feature but never use it. Same goes for the games, although I see this getting more use than the wifi.

If you want a gee whiz device to impress your friends then by all means the iTouch has the most wow. If you want an MP3 player with good form follows function design I prefer the P2. It's the best compromise of screen size vs overall size and the interface is quick and easy.

I wouldn't mind an SD card slot but then you have to deal with loading two devices(essentially). The current crop of MP3 players with expansion slots do not allow you to load to them as one seamless pool of memory. You have to load to "internal" and "external" memory separately. The better devices will integrate both memory banks into one library but only after you load media files to them separately. It's kind of a pain. I almost
didn't buy the P2 because it was missing the expansion slot.

Once you have a player with bluetooth you won't want one without it. I can use bluetooth WHEREVER I go. It allows me to listen to my MP3s and my phone will interrupt the current song to allow me to answer the phone. This functionality works with my BT headphones and with my car audio system. The reason that Microsoft and Apple haven't embraced bluetooth is because it takes away the control they have over the device. You would no longer need to depend on proprietary interfaces to other devices.
you mention wifi being a novelty, but aren't most features on the p2 a novelty? i find that i never use the bluetooth (mainly because of how much power it consumes), most of the other features are novelties as they're pretty much useless. i dont know about you but i only use my p2 for music and videos. the bluetooth functionality is a good feature, however i find it absolutely rapes my battery life just being on paired with my mobile phone, which in this case doesnt help me when i travel several hours each day. at the end of the day, i just want to listen to music and not have my p2 die on me with the bluetooth idling 24/7.

however, my point of view is more of someone who isnt biased towards the p2 or the touch, but more of looking at comparisons of the features. It's silly to ask "what should i get between a touch and p2" on this forum because everyone here owns a p2 and most likely doesnt own a touch, and same would go for an apple forum. i'm pretty sure everyone here owns a p2 and has never owned a touch, and basing their decisions on testing "the ipod touch my mate owns" for a few mins. asking about the touch here, some people would shit on it saying its worse than the p2 in most aspects without even thoroughly testing it and same would go with an apple forum. the best bet for the OP is to ask on two different forums and get proper opinions on the device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearview
The wifi? Why can't I wait till I get home again?
you'd be surprised how many open networks you'd find in the city. i can find at least 20 different networks on my laptop and at least 1/3 of them are open just in a single place. i didnt have time to get a map of coverage over the entire city but there definitely are open networks out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juggleboy711 View Post
the itouch also has a bigger screen but the p2 has a larger resolution which means better quality video on a p2.
how do you mean it has a higher resolution? touch has a 3.5" which runs 480x320, and p2 has a 3" which runs 480x272. if you mean DPI then you are right, otherwise no, it doesnt have a higher resolution for videos.

Last edited by xinzhitan14; 09-20-2008 at 05:54 AM.