android
Old 05-08-2008, 01:36 AM

So I am wondering if its possible to use these audio out pins to create an adapter to plug into ipod accessories such as a car deck with ipod support or a docking station with speakers. I realize you probably wouldn't be able to control the sansa with any play/pause/>fwd type buttons, but could you still hear and adjust the volume without the scroll wheel?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-11-2008, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timm429 View Post
So I am wondering if its possible to use these audio out pins to create an adapter to plug into ipod accessories such as a car deck with ipod support or a docking station with speakers. I realize you probably wouldn't be able to control the sansa with any play/pause/>fwd type buttons, but could you still hear and adjust the volume without the scroll wheel?

AFAIK, all attempts to integrate iPod equipment into a Sansa has resulted in EPIC FAIL of the Sansa. I wouldn't try it.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:22 PM

Default Audio/Video cable ???

I saw this on ebay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120261382584

It's listed as being for the Sansa VIEW, but aren't the cable pinouts for the view, e200, and c200 all the same?
(and the Fuze?)

I don't know if video-out would work on the "lesser" models, but I would expect the audio-out would !

Does anyone know for sure before I take the plunge !

Old 05-13-2008, 12:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The View is the only one that has Video-output as far as we know, but unsure about the audio.

Old 05-13-2008, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
The View is the only one that has Video-output as far as we know, but unsure about the audio.
The pinout thread in the VIEW forum
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ighlight=cable
shows nearly identical pinouts as the e200 in this thread (as anyone would reasonably expect)

I'm guessing the audio out (at least) would work, but am not sure if the pin that needs to be pulled to +5V will be, with this cable. It may not work with Sansa FW, but expect it will with Rockbox.

I'm going to have to try it - and report back in a few days .

Old 05-21-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_howardfine View Post
I'm going to have to try it - and report back in a few days .
It arrived yesterday, and I did a quick test on an e260.

As expected Audio Out did NOT work while running original Sansa firmware, but DID work running Rockbox (May 20 build) (the reason discussed earlier in this thread).

I saw a little signal on video out, but didn't have a monitor to connect. It may have just been inductive coupling of the audio signals observed with the high-impedence oscilloscope input.

What WAS interesting is that the connector has all 30 pins accessible, so this cable could be easily modified to add +5V, USB, and other things that the Sansa supports.
(Maybe even shorting a couple pins to get the OF to play out of the Line-Out pins when connected)

Audio is connected on pins 27 & 28. It appears the video is connected to pin 14. The cable shield (GND) connects to the metal shell of the connector, but to none of the pins.

The audio goes up and down in volume with the players volume control, so these pins aren't truly line-level.

ubipa: The audio out appears to NOT be decoupled - the signal sits on about 1.5V DC.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180245416714

Old 05-31-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_howardfine View Post
It arrived yesterday, and I did a quick test on an e260.

What WAS interesting is that the connector has all 30 pins accessible, so this cable could be easily modified to add +5V, USB, and other things that the Sansa supports.
I don't have a scan of this AV cable disassembled, but I DID take apart a knockoff SYNC cable from this same ebay vendor, as well as the REAL Sansa Sync cable.

The "imitation" sync cable was VERY JUNKY!!! Poorly constructed, and basically unusable to modify into any kind of a dock connector.

The Real SanDisk cable was pleasantly surprising !!
All of the pins were soldered to a miniature PC Board, with all of the pins readily accessible. The shield completely covered all of the pins and wires, and the cable shield was soldered to the connector shield. Very good coonstruction quality and easy disassembly/reassembly!

When I get some time, I want to make a universal sync/charge/line-out cable out of this (I've got an extra to play with). I've posted a couple pictures showing the 2 connector types.

There are a few sansa cables on ebay for just a bit more than the cheapo imitations.

Here are the scans of the disassembled connectors:

http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7811/cheapsyncrt7.jpg

http://img261.imageshack.us/img261/8...nsasynczl3.jpg

Last edited by advcomp2019; 06-12-2008 at 10:21 AM.

Old 05-31-2008, 01:53 PM

dr howardfine and all other modders on these forums... thanks for your dedication. I always enjoy getting more out of anything I buy. I converted my one-use camcorder from walgreens into a multi-use by just adding my own USB cable and using some editing software. And I know I'll enjoy whatever comes of new cableing tests found here.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter940 View Post
dr howardfine and all other modders on these forums... thanks for your dedication. I always enjoy getting more out of anything I buy. I converted my one-use camcorder from walgreens into a multi-use by just adding my own USB cable and using some editing software. And I know I'll enjoy whatever comes of new cableing tests found here.
Thanks for the kind words; I get far more out of these forums than I put in.
For instance: I'm soon going to learn how to convert a one-time-use camcorder from Walgreens into a multi-use, just by adding a USB cable. That sounds very interesting!!! But it might be (might?) getting off-topic, so you'd better PM me with info +/or a link!

Old 06-01-2008, 07:52 AM

I believe as the sansa linux project progresss they may release a full pinout like they did with he ipod.

what we need is some good breakout boards.

have you tried making a breakout board in a pcb design system, etching one or two, soldering on the connector and using that for testing?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:22 PM

Default Base Station Remote Control

I disassembled a Sansa Base Station and have a few observations:

The remote control puts 3.3V pulses onto pin 8 of the connector.

The remote has buttons for Power (on/off), Play/Pause, Track Fwd., Track Rev., +Volume, -Volume

I tested with a ROCKBOXed player, and had to press the Player's << key when powering up, to get to the original firmware (01.02.24A). The remote's << (Track Rev) key wouldn't do it (not that I expected it to).

With the original firmware, the remote's POWER button shuts it down immediately (to the "Charging" screen). It does NOT put you into the menu mode.

The player's control buttons all function. The scroll wheel does NOT control volume when the player is docked. It is usable for navigating menus, but NOT for controlling volume.

The LOCK switch also locks out the remote's functions.

With the SETTINGS:VOLUME set to NORMAL....

The LINE-OUT jack puts out relatively loud, variable volume (varies with volume control), comperable to the headphone jack's output (when the player is NOT docked).

The actual headphone output (when the player is docked) is QUITE LOUD - as if it was set to maximum. At a volume setting of ZERO (minimum) the output is MUTED, but ANY setting above ZERO is full volume.

I tried changing SETTINGS:VOLUME to HIGH to see the effect, and got just what I expected. The dock's line out was continuously variable, but louder. The player's headphone output was muted at ZERO volume, but was painfully loud at any setting above ZERO.

This headphone jack behavior must be due to a firmware bug. It should either be always muted or continuously variable, like the dock's line-out. I did this testing with firmware 01.02.24A

When running RockBox:

The remote's buttons do nothing (no surprise).

The player's buttons do everything (as if un-docked).

The dock's line-out and the player's headphone out BOTH produce continuously variable volume at a comfortable level.

The battery charges.

The ONLY peculiar behavior with Rockbox came when I tried to shut down. The player's power button DID move you up in the menuing system, but it would NOT shut down Rockbox.
The remote's power button did nothing at all (by itself).

HOWEVER, I found that pressing the remote's power button, WHILE HOLDING down the player's power button, WOULD shut down Rockbox gracefully.

The usual 20 sec holding down of the player's power button, to reset the sansa worked, even while docked.

If you want to use this dock/remote with a ROCKBOXed player - I would recommend the Reverse Bootloader.

Old 06-11-2008, 07:02 AM

i think the dock used a low level serial signal. test it with a osciliscope. the signals may be fairly easy to replicate. post pics of the internals of the dock if possible.

Old 06-11-2008, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob1000 View Post
i think the dock used a low level serial signal. test it with a osciliscope. the signals may be fairly easy to replicate. post pics of the internals of the dock if possible.
I'll try to get some oscilloscope shots soon, too!

- For Duty and Humanity !!!

Last edited by advcomp2019; 06-12-2008 at 10:22 AM.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:16 AM

This is awesome!
I just also want to order the Sansa Base Station once my Fuze arrived
to do the same (now i don't have to ).

If it's possible please try to find out the protocol the station is
using to communicate with the Sansa. That would help us
to build some DIY remotes or the Rockbox Team to support remote controls.

Great work!

JD

Old 06-12-2008, 02:31 AM

Can you confirm that the 'pseudo' line-out only works if the base station
is powered?

Old 06-13-2008, 11:59 AM

ooh! the docks sansa connector has metal tabs so you can clip test leads to it! looking interesting!

Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 AM

Are there any progress on this yet?

Old 06-18-2008, 07:08 AM

I am sorry that I can't add anything to this, as a matter of fact I have been trying to figure out compatibility. I just purchased a new 8gb Fuze. I have two different Philips GoGear players and a house full of docking stations, and cable hook ups. On first glance, these two devices look like they have similar pin outs. Does anyone know if these devices are compatible? It really grinds me that there can't be some commonality here instead of haveing redundent cables, chargers, docks, etc.

Old 06-24-2008, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra97 View Post
I am sorry that I can't add anything to this, as a matter of fact I have been trying to figure out compatibility. I just purchased a new 8gb Fuze. I have two different Philips GoGear players and a house full of docking stations, and cable hook ups. On first glance, these two devices look like they have similar pin outs. Does anyone know if these devices are compatible? It really grinds me that there can't be some commonality here instead of haveing redundent cables, chargers, docks, etc.
The GoGear is NOT the same as Sansa (or iPod), although they all use the same 30-pin connector.

This is more than a nuisance - it's downright DANGEROUS!!!

Plugging a player into the wrong dock can permanently damage the player (and possibly the dock).

Still no further progress on the serial protocol. I hope to get time for some scope shots this week.

Old 06-24-2008, 02:02 AM

I received my Sansa Base Station last week and i'm also currently
working on the protocol right know. It's a pain in the butt to figure out
the protocol since i'm not an electronic engineer and i also don't have
a scope. But i'm slowly progressing and did also find additional
pin outs. I'll post them once i verified that.

JD