android
Old 01-15-2008, 05:07 PM

Default Big Thanks

You guys have just saved me hours of playing around with this to get a streamlined line-out for use in my car. I was gonna buy the Sansa Dock, but my inner Scotty wasn't about to fork over $50 for about $10 worth of parts. I'll see if I can't make a tutorial out of this when I get around to it. Thanks again guys; this is the only place I can come to for PMP-related questions and find actual useful answers.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-22-2008, 03:00 AM

First off a huge thanks to everyone who put in the time to research and reverse engineer this killer MP3 player. Without you guys I'd have no inspiration for and be lost in my upcoming project.

I just bought a nice bit of kit off Amazon for $3.98! Comes with a 120V AC charger (with USB plug in the adapter) and a nice 12V DC car adapter (again with USB plug) and a spare USB power/data cable for the PC (link!). I also bought an M-Bus to RCA adapter for my Alpine deck off E-Bay for $3.99 (link!)

I don't give a damn what it looks like because plan on hacking open the DC adapter and hooking it up directly to the cig lighter socket's power & ground wires (disconnecting everything like LEDs which are always on and a drain on the battery), and extending the USB socket directly to an open blanking plate on my dash next to the radio. Then I'll swap the USB data +/- for audio L/R, jump pin 7 to 5V inside the breakout connector and run the L/R into the RCA's of the M-Bus adapter for a beautifully clean installation.

I run rockbox so is putting 5V on pin 7 necessary? I'm a bit unsure whether or not it would hurt the Sansa seeing as how rockbox apparently keeps that switch open all the time. A couple buddies also have e200's and one doesn't run rockbox so if I wanted to use his I'd have to jump pin 7 to 5V anyways. Oh, also with rockbox, is it safe to have it charging? I read that you're only really supposed to charge it with the Sandisk firmware for various reasons. I could easily install a small switch to cut off the 5V if I don't want it on. I've read this entire thread back to front, but just to be on the safe side I'd better ask the experts.

This will sure beat the hell out of my craptastic FM transmitter!! I can't wait

EDIT: Oh just thought of something else... to avoid running an extra wire, is it ok to have the L/R audio ground (aka. common?) tied into the same ground as the power? Would that introduce extra noise or something into the system or is it all just the same ground anyways?

Thanks!

Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 PM

Has anyone verified that this is a true line-out and not just the output from the headphone amp at a fixed volume?

Old 01-24-2008, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltastorm View Post
Has anyone verified that this is a true line-out and not just the output from the headphone amp at a fixed volume?
If all goes well, I can answer you this weekend. I just got my Amazon delivery in of a wall plug & car charger. It's a bit cold to be working in the car, so I'm gonna try it out with the modded wall plug -> Sansa -? z-5500 speakers first.

EDIT: Nuts, I forgot about the capacitor network. Do I absolutely need to decouple this? Will I run into signal quality or damaged equipment if I don't do this?

EDIT2: Also, are the Resistor and Capacitor network values from the Griffin dock correct (100K ohm and 22uF)? That works out to a frequency cut off of 0.07234 Hz.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:13 PM

Well, that sucked. I got the car charger open, and it only had pins for the +5V and GND needed to charge the Sansa. All the rest of the plug was plastic. I've ordered a data cable and will muck around with it once received.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila76 View Post
Well, that sucked. I got the car charger open, and it only had pins for the +5V and GND needed to charge the Sansa. All the rest of the plug was plastic. I've ordered a data cable and will muck around with it once received.
If you have any old computer equipment, like motherboards, USB cards/hub, etc... that doesn't work anymore, take one of the USB connectors off there and recycle it onto the lighter plug adapter. That connector will for sure have the 2 extra pins for data +/- in it. Just a thought.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercam View Post
If you have any old computer equipment, like motherboards, USB cards/hub, etc... that doesn't work anymore, take one of the USB connectors off there and recycle it onto the lighter plug adapter. That connector will for sure have the 2 extra pins for data +/- in it. Just a thought.
Unfortunately, it's the Sansa end of the plug that's missing the pins. I should be getting another data cable today. I'll try again this weekend.

Old 02-01-2008, 01:24 AM

Quote:
I sacrificed one of my cables and measured the output at pins 29 and 27 with my multimeter. It is exactly the same as the headphone output and is not line-level.

Old 02-01-2008, 12:12 PM

Quote:
I sacrificed one of my cables and measured the output at pins 29 and 27 with my multimeter. It is exactly the same as the headphone output and is not line-level.
The output level depends on your firmware rev. For Rockbox the above statement is true. With newish Sansa firmware you get a fixed output level via the dock connection.

Doug

Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 PM

Question on the Capacitor (DC-blocking) network, this should already be inside whatever I'm connecting the line-out to (Stereo, car radio, PC speakers, etc.), correct? I don't have to build it onto my cable?

Old 02-04-2008, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquila76 View Post
Question on the Capacitor (DC-blocking) network, this should already be inside whatever I'm connecting the line-out to (Stereo, car radio, PC speakers, etc.), correct? I don't have to build it onto my cable?
I was wondering that myself. Also, with Rockbox and the line outs, does changing the volume with the wheel change the volume on the output of the "line out" pins?

Since the Sansa firmware is able to output a steady non-volume dependent signal, I'm assuming this is a software controlled thing, so in theory, Rockbox could also do this... feature request?

Old 02-18-2008, 08:56 AM

So I have read through this thread, dissected/traced a griffin powerdock, and I have been trying to create an LOD for my Sansa C240 V1.

Here's what I have found out so far.

The pinouts provided here are pretty much correct. What's relevant for the c240 for my LOD is:

pin 3 & 4 need connected, this makes the device think it's docked

Pin 8 needs to go high, which on the dock a 47k resistor brings the 5v down to 3v. On the C240, I have found pin 21 and 22 provide 3v. So pin 8 is jumped to pin 22 and the device (w/ Sansa Firmware) connects the audio channel on the dock/ muting the headphone channel.

Audio is provided through Pin 27 & 28 with Pin 30 being the dedicated audio ground.

Rockbox current firmware does not activate the audio channel on the dock, but someone has written a patch. I haven't tried it yet.

Things I haven't confirmed: Is the audio channel decoupled in the device? The griffin power dock has coupling caps on the board, but when I opened up the device I found two caps right next to the DAC. Are they for the dock audio channels... I don't know.

What I do know, is the audio sounds extremely good compared to the headphone output on the device. I have the unit connected to a Mini^3 and Vmoda Vibes. Once I am back from Paris, I'll try to get rockbox working with the line level and replace the caps on the powerdock with 22uf or 47uf blackgates and see how it sounds.

So far so good tho.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:37 PM

So I recompiled rockbox with an adjusted DAC file (AS3514.c). This enabled the line out on the dock connector. I ended up using 22uf caps on the LOD due to size limitations in the connector and because I couldn't hear a difference between 22 and 47.

Now that I got a chance to really compare. There's really only a minimal difference between the headphone line and the dock line. There's a bit more noise on the headphone line, but overall audio quality when the file is playing is similar.

Take it how you want!

Old 04-10-2008, 12:29 AM

cool so which ambitious young entrepreneur wants to start mass producing these and selling them on ebay?
anyone, anyone,... Bueller?
Zune 30GB (white-unfortunately)
Sennheiser CX300 and CXL400 lanyard headphones

Old 04-20-2008, 04:04 PM

I made a combination audio/usb cable as described above. I was able to make use of an E260 with a bad audio jack. That was nice.
One problem I am having. There is a lot of whining sound coming over the audio channels when the 12V cig lighter to usb adapter is charging the device. Has anyone been able to connect one of these cables up without a lot of background charging noise?

Many thanks to all those above whose hard work made my project on easy 30 minute one. I used conductive wire glue and crazy glue instead of soldering.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:54 AM

so im wondering if i can rewire one of my extra cables to control volume, play/pause and forward/back, i plan to take a dead cd player and use it as a disguise for my new e270 as my e260 was [violently] stolen from me, and i wish to avoid this happening again by making a fake cdplayer thats really a case for the mp3 player[you get the picture, gut a cd player, wire up e200 controls and it looks like a worthless cdplayer]

Old 04-22-2008, 07:08 PM

Cool !!!
Let's see some pictures !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by renghobnor View Post
I made a combination audio/usb cable as described above. I was able to make use of an E260 with a bad audio jack. That was nice.
One problem I am having. There is a lot of whining sound coming over the audio channels when the 12V cig lighter to usb adapter is charging the device. Has anyone been able to connect one of these cables up without a lot of background charging noise?

Many thanks to all those above whose hard work made my project on easy 30 minute one. I used conductive wire glue and crazy glue instead of soldering.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:17 PM

Page e200 30 pin verses 30 pin ipod

[QUOTE=polycarp;23915]2enki3600

It seem to me given a couple of years since you wrote this message
that it may be possible to build a connector for e200 to ipod and have it work.

Do you think this is possible?

Old 05-03-2008, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_howardfine View Post
Cool !!!
Let's see some pictures !!!
I started taking pictures in the beginning, but I couldn't get either of my digital cameras to focus well enough to see any details. Besides, once I get on a roll I forget to take pictures

Old 05-03-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renghobnor View Post
I started taking pictures in the beginning, but I couldn't get either of my digital cameras to focus well enough to see any details. Besides, once I get on a roll I forget to take pictures

Got a flat-bed scanner connected to your 'puter?