android
Old 08-28-2008, 08:56 PM

Default odd battery behavior

Hi everyone! I'm new/not new to the forum. I have used the forum before to help with my sleek photo (like the annoying dust under the screen), but I just recently officially joined. This past week I had a major issue with my player and I could use any support you all have to offer. I apologize for the length, but I want to give you all the details so you have an accurate picture of what exactly happened.

Last Monday I was listening to my player in the car on my way to work (approx. 1 hr.). I got to work and plugged my player into my desktop speakers via the headphone jack. No sound would come out of the speakers. Well, it turns out the speakers had somehow gone kaput on me. So I unplugged the zen and turned it off. The little "shutting down "screen popped up and stayed there for about 10 min. It wouldn't respond to anything. I reset it with a paper clip. The zen splashscreen came up followed by the sleek photo splash screen. Then the screen went black and nothing would respond--it was like the player was off, except the blue power light was on. I couldn't turn it off either. I tried resetting it a couple more times, but it would do the same thing. I didn't have my cord so I just let the player sit thinking it would eventually run out of juice and shut off. About a half hour later I went to move the player and it was really warm (like it was in someone's pocket for a long time). A half hour after that the player shut off. In only an hour the battery had gone from mostly full to dead. I took the thing home and accessed the program menu (or whatever you call it). I was able to reload the firmware. The player seemed to have come back to life! So I charged it all evening using the a/c cord (which I always use) until it was fully charged. I unplugged it for the night, made sure it was off, and set it out to go to work with me the next day. When I went to work, I found the player was dead. This has been the trend ever since. It works fine when it is plugged in and it charges (I see the lightning bolt). The charge just won't last. I tested it out and it will play for about an hour before dying. Turned off, it won't even sit over-night and keep any charge.

I am guessing my battery pooped out on me, but I just wanted to see what you all think before I rush off and buy a battery. Now that I look back, the battery life had been diminishing slightly, but ever since that black-out it has never been the same.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-29-2008, 09:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Hello Jdwags. Welcome to ABI. Yes, it definitely sounds like you need a new battery. Lithium-ion batteries age from the date of being manufactured and usually last around 3 years or so. The Sleek has been around since 2005; just right for the timing. What happens is that as a lithium-ion battery gets older (used or not used), its internal resistance increases. This causes voltage drops under loads and reduces the amount of current capable of being supplied. Check out Google for some replacement options. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 09-12-2008, 08:09 PM

I finally got my new battery today. I used the guide to take apart my sleek photo--very helpful. The nice thing about swapping the battery in this is that you only have to remove the lower panel and plate inside. The battery slides right out. The new battery was made for this, but was actually a tad wider than the old one. It didn't fit in the battery tray perfectly. Hopefully that won't matter. Other than a few little marks from my tiny screwdriver (the aluminum on the bottom of the case marks so easily) it went well. I am going to charge it tonight and I'll let you know how it works.

Old 09-13-2008, 04:21 PM

Well everyone, the new battery did not seem to do the trick . I put it in last night and let it charge all night (the little lightning bolt was on and the power button was blinking away). This morning the unit was fully charged so I unplugged it. I turned it on and it worked. I turned it back off and let it sit for about 6 hours. I tried to turn it on again and the power button just blinked once and nothing happened. I plugged the a/c charger in and sure enough the battery icon is empty and it is charging again. This is the same thing that happened with the old battery too. Could the broken speakers mentioned in the first post have shorted something out? It is just odd that:

1. The unit works fine when plugged in.
2. The battery (both of them) charged until full.
3. Both batteries will run for about an hour only.
4. Both batteries drain in about 5-6 hrs. even when the unit is off the whole time.

It's almost like something is sucking the battery power. It's a battery vampire !!!

Any ideas?

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Then:

Quote:
So I charged it all evening using the a/c cord (which I always use) until it was fully charged. I unplugged it for the night, made sure it was off, and set it out to go to work with me the next day. When I went to work, I found the player was dead.
Now:

Quote:
I put it in last night and let it charge all night (the little lightning bolt was on and the power button was blinking away). This morning the unit was fully charged so I unplugged it. I turned it on and it worked.
So, it seems to be holding a charge overnight after being fully charged.....

From the sounds of the issue in your first post, perhaps there was a short within the battery that has also caused damage or other short to the mainboard. It sounds like something is draining the battery even when the ZVM is powered off. Yeah, a battery vampire sounds accurate.

I know it may be a long shot, but any chance you can send the battery back and get a replacement for the replacement?

Zen FAQ

Old 09-20-2008, 09:33 PM

I think I worded the last post wrong. W/ the old battery, I charged it all evening and unplugged it before going to bed. In the morning it was dead (even though the player was off the whole time).

I got the new battery and installed it, but this time it was later in the day so I had to charge it overnight. I unplugged it in the morning and the battery indicator was full and the player worked (just like w/ the old batt.). I turned it back off and came back to it about 6 hrs. later. It was dead as a doornail. The power light just blinked once and nothing else happened. Both batt. act the same.

I actually have an extended warranty for the thing (which I thought I lost but found yesterday). It is going into the shop this week. The only thing is, the warrant is kind of generic for all electronics over a certain price. One thing not covered is batteries. I wonder if that counts for mp3 players too? Also, I am hoping they don't nail me for opening the bottom of the unit when I did the battery swap. I'll put in an update w/ the verdict later!

Old 09-27-2008, 02:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Have you tried reinstalling the firmware to see if that helps with the battery/power issue?

Since the battery is non-removable, it may be covered.... but since you have opened it, who knows.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-27-2008, 04:04 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I have a Zen SleekPhoto that the battery does not last long. I have found that if I don't actually turn it on & then turn it off the battery will not charge properly. Also if after playing for a while & I want to use later it must be shut down turned off rebooted & shut down again to hold the charge. Because of that I don't use it that often. I will try reloading the firmware to see if that corrects it. I got it as a refurbished player from creative about a year ago. I would think Creative put a new battery in it, but you never know.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I will try reloading the firmware to see if that corrects it. I got it as a refurbished player from creative about a year ago. I would think Creative put a new battery in it, but you never know.
Let us know how it goes.... If the battery was working correctly, I would be surprised if they would have put a new battery in it. Unless a new battery was part of what they had to refurbish.

Zen FAQ

Old 09-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I tend to think they may not have replaced the battery. Has anyone posted instructions to open this one?

Old 09-28-2008, 02:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sticky thread.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-05-2008, 07:27 PM

Yeah I had reloaded the firmware multiple times. I tried it with the old, new and old battery again. I visited the site of the co. fixing my player and tracked the progress. The latest info is that it is being worked on and a new MB has been ordered. Hopefully that will fix it!

So now I have an extra battery sitting around. I think I am going to hold on to it until I get my player back. I will pop the bottom off and see if it has the old battery in it or if they replaced it. If they didn't , I might just put in the fresh battery.

Coachop--replacing the battery is a piece of cake! The sticky thread mentions removing the top section of the sleek. You don't have to! Skip down to where it mentions popping off the bottom piece and go from there. You can pop off that piece (it's held down by double-sided tape), unscrew the metal plate inside, and then use small needle-nose pliers to pull out the battery plug--on the right w/ the red and black wire. The batter will just slide right out w/out removing any other internal parts! Here's the kicker, when I replaced mine, the new batt. was just a tad bit wider than the orig. It took some pushing to get it back in, but everything turned out fine.

Old 10-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yeah I had reloaded the firmware multiple times. I tried it with the old, new and old battery again. I visited the site of the co. fixing my player and tracked the progress. The latest info is that it is being worked on and a new MB has been ordered. Hopefully that will fix it!
Good. It sounds like there on the right track to getting it repaired for you.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thumb Up Great To Know

Thanks for that tidbit of info. Now I won't have all that to put back together

Old 10-13-2008, 05:03 PM

Well folks, the verdict is in...I think we need a moment of silence as we remember my poor little sleek photo . The folks who were dealing w. my extended warranty let me know (via their web service) that my package was due in today. I assumed that the MB they ordered had fixed my player, but alas they said that it was dead.

In return they gave me a brand new 30G vision M!!!! I don't know anything about this player so I will have to stumble over to the reviews section of this site and check it out.

I must say, I was apprehensive of the quality of service I would get form my 3yr. wal-mart extended warranty. It was great! No hassles whatsoever. If I see the vision M is a good player than I definitely made out .

Anyone need a once-plugged-in sleek battery? Looks like that will be going on ebay.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Old 10-14-2008, 12:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

You made out like a bandit. The Zen Vm is a great player. A definate upgrade from the sleek.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdwags View Post
In return they gave me a brand new 30G vision M!!!!
Wow. No kinding you made out. That sounds like one hell of a warranty company. Still..... it would be nice to know exactly what was wrong with the ZSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdwags View Post
Thanks everyone for your help!
No problem!

Zen FAQ