android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen

Old 08-23-2008, 07:28 PM

Default Zen not detected by computer, no MTP in device manager

I'm truly sorry if I'm double posting when others may have already had the same problem, and if if I have feel free to link me to the appropriate thread or combine it into another thread.

I'm just down right frustrated, like so many Creative buyers. So far this is what I have done:

Charged the Zen fully
Installed the software/driver from the CD
Connected the Zen upon prompting from the software (said it was successfully installed)
Restarted the computer
Tried to connect the Zen again: neither Zen Media Explorer nor my computer detects this irritating piece of hardware

I thought maybe I had gotten my hands on a European version? But the version did not have the "e" after the number. In case it is needed, my version is 1.21.01.

I think the root of my problem may be the MTP drive not installing? I'm not a computer whiz, so bear with me. I checked my device manager and I do not have a category for "Portable Devices" (or anything similar), let alone a place where "MTP" shows up. Did I do something wrong when installing? I even reinstalled the Zen driver to make sure something didn't glitch. Also, I am completely against Windows Media players, so please, is there any solution that does not involve any other software than that which comes with the installation CD?

Thank you so much for any help, I'll try very hard not to break or smash the thing while waiting for a reply. Tempting though...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-23-2008, 07:42 PM

what os are you running? if xp, then you need windows media player 10 installed as a bare minimum (for the MTP functionality to be installed). this doesn't mean you actually have to use it to manage your music. you can just drag/drop in explorer.

Old 08-23-2008, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. I do have Windows XP. And you're sure WMP has to be installed? Me and WMP have not gotten along well in the past though, and I hate how it tries to integrate every last bit of itself into my computer. There's not, maybe, one other way? Some way to bypass Windows and install the MTP by itself? If not...I guess I have to try it. I'm reluctant, but then I'm also desperate not to waste a nearly $100 dollar piece of hardware =(.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:02 AM

I also have this same problem as the OP. I don't even have the icon in the taskbar indicating that a device is plugged in via USB... I usually use this icon to safely remove items, but I can't even do that, since the icon isn't there.

I'm running Vista on a Dell Inspiron if that helps.

Old 08-24-2008, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lissar View Post
If not...I guess I have to try it. I'm reluctant, but then I'm also desperate not to waste a nearly $100 dollar piece of hardware =(.
like i said, all you have to do is install it. you don't have to use it. it's not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reservoir_dogs View Post
I also have this same problem as the OP. I don't even have the icon in the taskbar indicating that a device is plugged in via USB... I usually use this icon to safely remove items, but I can't even do that, since the icon isn't there.

I'm running Vista on a Dell Inspiron if that helps.
actually your problem is quite different to the OP. you have vista which has wmp11 built in and has mtp functionality from the word go.

you won't have a safely remove icon in the taskbar because it's an MTP device. it's safe to remove when the screen isn't animated - it's animated when it's busy synching files with your pc.

but it should appear in explorer under portable devices. have you checked device manager to see if anything is there? also take a look at the troubleshooting section of the zen faq....

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=27711

Old 08-28-2008, 02:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I do have Windows XP. And you're sure WMP has to be installed? Me and WMP have not gotten along well in the past though, and I hate how it tries to integrate every last bit of itself into my computer. There's not, maybe, one other way? Some way to bypass Windows and install the MTP by itself? If not...I guess I have to try it. I'm reluctant, but then I'm also desperate not to waste a nearly $100 dollar piece of hardware =(.
Hello Lissar. Welcome to ABI. WMP10 or WMP11 is what is needed to bring Windows XP up to MTP compliancy to work with MTP devices like the Zen. However, I see that you are using Windows ME. WMP10 or WMP11 will not work with ME. You need to check into geting MTP installed and working correctly on an unsupported operating system. You may want to check out this thread here. Good luck!

Zen FAQ

Old 12-09-2008, 01:57 PM

Hi everyone
I have to say, I have the exact same problem.
-I installed it all,
-Put music on,
-I come to do it the next day and it won't be detected anywhere.

I'm on Vista, I have Windows Media Player and it's not being detected there, or in My Computer.

I've tried completely uninstalling everything, and reinstalling again.
I've also tried connecting to it another pc which detects it, but how come it won't anymore on mine!

The cable still lets me charge the Zen, just not put any tracks/video on...Any advice please?

Thanks in advance

Old 12-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome zzzzippy. How is Device Manager reporting the driver when the Zen is connected? You are running Vista (supports MTP devices natively).... I would not even use the Creative software. I've seen it cause problems with MTP support way too many times.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-12-2008, 11:07 AM

Hello

Oh dear, this doesn't sound good. It detected it in device manager which I suppose is a good thing but I went onto properties and it says: 'Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)'
I have gone into help but there are so many options and I'm not sure what to do!!
Here are my options to choose from:

I'm such a novice at computers so you may have to break it down for me
My brother managed to put tracks on to it from his pc, but just using copy and paste.
Thanks for the quick reply by the way

Old 12-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The driver isn't working correctly. You will need to resolve this issue before anything. At this point, I would make sure that you have all of the Creative software uninstalled and then try installing/reinstalling WMP11. This should reinstall the Windows Media Framework which looks like isn't working correctly.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-19-2008, 06:12 AM
Banned

BobbyRS, do you need a WMP to run the Zen correctly? if so how do i get it?

Old 12-19-2008, 08:03 AM

I need to second the opinion aobut installing WMP but not using it. I am anti-microsoft as well as anti-apple so I have WMP11 on the PC but I am using Real Media to play the MP3 tracks. You need to have it but don't need to use it, I'm not.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James93 View Post
BobbyRS, do you need a WMP to run the Zen correctly? if so how do i get it?
Yes, for WinXP you need to at least have WMP10 or WMP11 installed, but no you don't have to actually use WMP with the Zen. You can use other sync/media managers like MediaMonkey, Winamp, etc... The reason why you need to have WMP10 or WMP11 installed is because the Zen is an MTP device and WinXP is not MTP compatible by default. MTP and the Windows Media Framework that the Zen requires to function in WinXP is bundled within the installation of WMP10 or WMP11.

You can download WMP10 here.
You can download WMP11 here.

To get the most stability and added features of MTP, I recommend WMP11.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-23-2009, 03:47 AM
Banned

Default thanks

its ok mine works fine, i usually just drag and drop, dunno if im the only one that does this. It seems to work fine by doing that

Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

No problem. I pretty much just drag-and-drop anymore as well. Simple and quick.

Zen FAQ

Old 10-28-2009, 11:43 AM

Angry Still not working :(

I have a new creative zen mosaic...
I have win xp.
I upgraded my wmp from 10 to 11...

Also tried uninstalling the centrale suit...

But it is not detected...neither in device manager nor in explorer...

It gets charged fine from USB...my other USB hard drives work fine...