android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen X-Fi

Old 12-30-2008, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWafflesMonster View Post
I have found this too but unless i'm listening to iron maiden i keep it off.
The original firmware my x-fi came with made x-fi sound vastly different

I don't know much about these things but If I do have a complain with audio, it would be that the equalizer is useless.

And also the much discussed, X-fi Xpand feature, its completely worthless unless you are listening to a song that might kill your ears even at low volume, because it just makes the sound muddy and dead.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-30-2008, 04:52 PM

EQ is useless when crystalizer is on

Old 12-30-2008, 05:43 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunglePimp View Post
To each their own yeah I haven't used the buttons of a normal zen I certainly have seen them, no doubt they must be more comfortable, but you might be having problems because you use other media players as well, which I don't. Agreed, if I have small nails, it gets a little hard, but let the one on the thumb grow a little, you're pretty fine with it.
I don't think anyone should have to rely on finger-nail length in order to use a device, but that's just me.

Quote:
Of course not, but in patches, one might say "considerable improvement".
Improvements in a few areas and set-backs in others. Unfortunately, too many set-backs imo.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-31-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyRS View Post

Improvements in a few areas and set-backs in others. Unfortunately, too many set-backs imo.
I see it with a different perspective, if you see zen x-fi as a standalone product, then it provides a few features that do not fulfill their potential capacity, but considering the fact that they are add ons, the product owner shouldn't complain if it isn't 100% up to the mark, because the main features are totally up to the mark. I'm being a bit practical here.

You know they say, something is better than nothing, i think its the same case here. For its price tag, after providing some solid features for the mp3 player, a few add ons were provided, which weren't as good, but then they were actually meant to be as good as they are, its not as if creative tried to make it 100% and it turned out 20%!

If you ask me, what i bought the player for, I would say, for listening to songs in ear-pleasing quality, it provides that, for viewing videos in eye-pleasing quality, it provides that, for having an mp3 player that has agood durable body and is worth showing off, and a player that I can openly call an ipod-beater, and its right there!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I see it with a different perspective, if you see zen x-fi as a standalone product, then it provides a few features that do not fulfill their potential capacity, but considering the fact that they are add ons, the product owner shouldn't complain if it isn't 100% up to the mark, because the main features are totally up to the mark. I'm being a bit practical here.
Well, I can't argue about perspective. After all, we all have our own opinion and there is nothing wrong with that.

Quote:
For its price tag, after providing some solid features for the mp3 player, a few add ons were provided, which weren't as good, but then they were actually meant to be as good as they are, its not as if creative tried to make it 100% and it turned out 20%!
It is more like one step forward, two steps back.

Quote:
If you ask me, what i bought the player for, I would say, for listening to songs in ear-pleasing quality, it provides that, for viewing videos in eye-pleasing quality, it provides that, for having an mp3 player that has agood durable body and is worth showing off, and a player that I can openly call an ipod-beater, and its right there!
Then that is all that matters!

Zen FAQ

Old 01-01-2009, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Well, I can't argue about perspective. After all, we all have our own opinion and there is nothing wrong with that.
Exactly, in terms of perspective only a supporting perspective can be presented, which can't be argued with or about.

Quote:
It is more like one step forward, two steps back.
Nooooo
Each step is a step in a new direction, for example one was sound quality and one was Wifi, now creative only took 2 steps in terms of Wifi while it took 4 in sound quality. They never retraced any!

Old 01-01-2009, 08:36 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Exactly, in terms of perspective only a supporting perspective can be presented, which can't be argued with or about.
Any perspective, pro or con, should always be presented.

Quote:
Nooooo
Each step is a step in a new direction, for example one was sound quality and one was Wifi, now creative only took 2 steps in terms of Wifi while it took 4 in sound quality. They never retraced any!
A step forward is obviously a step forward, but this isn't one sided. Just to name a few:

- The sound quality is debatable and defined by each person differently. To me, no real improvment. The fact that it is implied and not followed through imo, is a step backward.
- Going from the control pad to the buttons (most likely to allow for the poorly implemented and not needed chat feature), a huge jump backward.
- Adding practically useless features like the ever so cumbersome chat feature.... a step backward.
- Not improving on some of the regular Zen's issues (like non-SD card integration, low powered amp), a couple steps backwards.
- Adding wi-fi, a small step forward.
- Adding a speaker, a step forward.

External factors:

- Adding the EP-830 headphones, a step forward
- Changing to the Creative Centrale software, multiple steps backwards

Like I said earlier, going from the Zen to the Zen X-Fi, one step forward, two steps (or more) backwards. However, if getting the Zen X-Fi without ever owning the Zen, I can understand the attraction.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-02-2009, 12:21 AM

This is all circular, everything gets down to what you or I or anyone else thinks.

And yes, I certainly like my zen a lot

Lets say another 2-3 years then i wish to please myself with a nice archos (lets hope the prices fall!)

Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
This is all circular, everything gets down to what you or I or anyone else thinks.
Yes it is and of course it does does. I'm not saying the Zen X-Fi is a bad player (at its core features). All I'm trying to point out is that compared to the regular Zen..... it is nothing to get excited about and can be some what of a disappointment.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-02-2009, 07:36 PM

Any real difference between this and the previous model of the Zen? Mainly in terms of battery life and sound quality (not "out of the box" so to speak, but using the same earphones)?

The normal Zen is about 30 cheaper you see...

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinN View Post
Any real difference between this and the previous model of the Zen? Mainly in terms of battery life and sound quality (not "out of the box" so to speak, but using the same earphones)?

Thanks!
Well yes quite a few, although as Bobby says not really a milestone of a difference, which I somewhat agree to.

Firstly the sound quality is better, with the X-fi feature enabled.

Second, it has a better body design, since Zen was all plasticy and light, and this one is a little heavier and with a hard back, a metallic0plastic rim, and a sort of a glass cover in front, with a pretty good screen.
Although there is some sort of a debate about buttons going on, in my opinion they are pretty good.

Thirdly the ear Buds are EP-830, which are premium ear buds, which you wont get along with normal Zen. TRUST ME, it makes a big difference.

Fourth, the added WiFi feature. Not very helpful, but in case you need to chat with someone in a Wifi spot, with a few "hi"s and :hellos" its good.

OR

If you wish to stream media content from your PC from a wireless network, its good again. You can also stream media content from creative media box or TVersity.

There is a speaker in zen x-fi, which zen lacks, although the speaker doesn't have a great output, its good if you are along in a quite room and don't want any wiry stuff all over your chest.

I believe these features are worth your 30 bucks, although at the core, its your call.

Good Day.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:

Without repeating what has already been mentioned in this thread (again), the Zen and Zen X-Fi are basically the same player (although you do get the much better EP-830 IEM's with the X-Fi) with the exceptions of the Zen X-Fi having X-Fi, Wi-Fi, a speaker, and some changes cosmetically (buttons instead of a control pad and casing).

X-Fi sound "enhancements" - The description for this most accurately is that these enhancements are "different"; not better or worse. Whether or not one person likes them or not is up to each person to hear and decide for themselves. Headphones used can make a difference here as well. Basically... to each his own. Myself, I don't care for them.

Battery Runtime - This can be good and bad. Audio runtime on the regular Zen can be tweaked to get around 20-25 hours of playback time. The audio runtime on the Zen X-Fi may be tweaked to get about the same, maybe a little more (not counting if X-Fi or EQ enabled). However, do this streaming audio through wi-fi, then it drops significantly to about 4-5 hours. Video runtime is about the same; a little over 4 hours.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-03-2009, 06:27 AM

Ok thanks guys!

Think I might just get the old Zen then.

The EP-830 earphones I can get for 14 from play.com (or even better I can get the Sennheiser CX 300's for 20-25), so the only feature I'm then missing is the X-Fi which many people seem rather "meh" about. If it was the full hardware accelerated chip then I would go for it (I have an X-Fi soundcard which sounds great) but it doesn't look like it is.

Don't care for the Wi-Fi, if I'm at home why would I listen/watch stuff on a diddy little screen when I can do that on a proper hi fi and watch it on a widescreen TV or PC monitor!

EDIT: And Amazon have just reduced the price of the old Zen 32GB to 130 .

Old 01-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Your thoughts seem similar to mine. Already have good headphones, don't care for the "X-Fi", and don't need or would use the Wi-Fi. Good luck with your purchase!

Zen FAQ

Old 01-04-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Battery Runtime - This can be good and bad. Audio runtime on the regular Zen can be tweaked to get around 20-25 hours of playback time. The audio runtime on the Zen X-Fi may be tweaked to get about the same, maybe a little more (not counting if X-Fi or EQ enabled). However, do this streaming audio through wi-fi, then it drops significantly to about 4-5 hours. Video runtime is about the same; a little over 4 hours.

I do keep my X-fi enabled, and the LCD on for as little as possible, yet the battery doesn't stay on for more than 6-10 hours Does X-Fi have that much of an effect on the battery?

Old 01-04-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks guys!

Think I might just get the old Zen then.

The EP-830 earphones I can get for 14 from play.com (or even better I can get the Sennheiser CX 300's for 20-25), so the only feature I'm then missing is the X-Fi which many people seem rather "meh" about. If it was the full hardware accelerated chip then I would go for it (I have an X-Fi soundcard which sounds great) but it doesn't look like it is.

Don't care for the Wi-Fi, if I'm at home why would I listen/watch stuff on a diddy little screen when I can do that on a proper hi fi and watch it on a widescreen TV or PC monitor!

EDIT: And Amazon have just reduced the price of the old Zen 32GB to 130 .
OK so there is this difference of 40 pounds between your original zen and the X-fi. Now IMO, a song with X-fi and a song with X-fi means a world of difference. How I know that? because when I play a song and I put the X-fi feature on and then off, I realize what great audio quality I would have missed out.Even if I may not be an original zen user, I can still compare the original quality vs the modified quality.

Now I don't intend to create any differences in your decision, but again as I say IMO, I could blow a good 40 pounds for better audio quality alone.

Besides saying that you don't require Wifi, trust me, you don't even require 20gb of the space you are buying your zen loaded with. Its just that when we go for something, we keep wanting more. When you load your zen with songs, its my gaurantee, that you won't feel like listening to 90% of them, but would you delete those 90%? NO.

So its always better to make decisions that you wont regret in future, and that can be done with proper calculation of course.

Best of luck again

Old 01-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
OK so there is this difference of 40 pounds between your original zen and the X-fi. Now IMO, a song with X-fi and a song with X-fi means a world of difference. How I know that? because when I play a song and I put the X-fi feature on and then off, I realize what great audio quality I would have missed out.Even if I may not be an original zen user, I can still compare the original quality vs the modified quality.

Now I don't intend to create any differences in your decision, but again as I say IMO, I could blow a good 40 pounds for better audio quality alone.

Besides saying that you don't require Wifi, trust me, you don't even require 20gb of the space you are buying your zen loaded with. Its just that when we go for something, we keep wanting more. When you load your zen with songs, its my gaurantee, that you won't feel like listening to 90% of them, but would you delete those 90%? NO.

So its always better to make decisions that you wont regret in future, and that can be done with proper calculation of course.

Best of luck again
The price difference is actually more like 60 (including delivery), which is almost 50% more, so well worth saving (IMO).

X-Fi sounds great on my PC's soundcard, however that's the full spec hardware version rather than a software emulated one. I've just listened to a bunch of files with no X-Fi and to be honest the difference still isn't worth 60 (to me).

As for my decision to go for 32GB, I'm just giving myself some breathing room. 8GB wasn't enough, 16GB probably would have done but last time I went for "double" my music collection and it lasted me about 1 year and a half. As for the Wi-Fi, not that fussed, I never listen to my portable media players at home (as I said, why would I?) and the chat function doesn't seem particularly useful (I might as well just send a text message from my phone).

Old 01-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
I do keep my X-fi enabled, and the LCD on for as little as possible, yet the battery doesn't stay on for more than 6-10 hours Does X-Fi have that much of an effect on the battery?
From what I've heard/seen, yes it can. As does the EQ on, higher bitrate files, brightness levels, higher volumes.....

Zen FAQ

Old 01-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
you don't even require 20gb of the space you are buying your zen loaded with. Its just that when we go for something, we keep wanting more.
I didn't have my 32GB Zen filled up for a while, but now I do and am in need of a 64GB Zen.

Zen FAQ

Old 01-05-2009, 04:45 AM

Quote:
I didn't have my 32GB Zen filled up for a while, but now I do and am in need of a 64GB Zen.
Just as I say...we keep wanting more.