android
Old 07-24-2008, 12:34 AM

Unhappy Wifi Problems

I tried turning on the centrale media server, but my zen cant detect it. i have a wireless router to which it connects, but it only sees the mediabox

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-24-2008, 05:48 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I don't know much about Centrale, but it sounds like a port or configuration problem. First, make sure that the firewall on the computer it's running on is set to allow connections to Centrale. Also verify that the computer has a valid IP address that your router recognizes, and that you have this configured in your player.

Old 07-24-2008, 06:46 PM
ABI Founder

AFAIK Creative Centale isn't a media server. The Zen X-Fi is upnp so it will automatically find media sharing set up on your network. There should be zero configuration if there currently is a media sharing computer on your network.

You problem likely is that you done have media sharing set up on your computer. Vista will pop up an icon in your system tray and say "Found a new device on the network, Allow sharing?" ...or something like that if you are not set up to automatically share media.

Here is how to set up media sharing in Vista.

This may help for XP.

Old 07-26-2008, 01:26 AM

Cool

thanks guys!!! i tried both of those before i attempted connecting - added the MAC address to my trusted in the firewall settings and checked off 'allow comps and other devices automatically' under media sharing settings; when it detected it, i unchecked the box.

works great.

Old 08-22-2008, 10:38 AM
Banned

Default ZEN X-fi Wifi Inquiry

Hey guys, I am on the borderline of purchasing this pmp called zen x-fi from creative.

->But I am unsure whether it supports the internet connections available in my country (I LIVE IN INDIA).

-->Also, I am unsure about the hardware that will be required in order to gain wireless network in my house, and also where to purchase this from and for how much.

--->Last thing, what is the wireless rage of this gadget?

Thanks much for answering.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Wrong section to post an inquiry - I see you've posted before so you should know where to ask questions by now.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:10 PM

Well, the Zen X-fi chat has all continents avaliable to search for people in (if that statement doesn't make sense, check out the anythingbutipod video review on youtube).

All you need is a wireless router (wifi) to get internet connection out of it.

Also, keep in mind this doesn't have a browser. You can download some content, use creatives chat (which I've never seen another person online while using), or use yahoo and msn messengers.

Old 08-22-2008, 04:03 PM

wifi on the xfi is useless to me, chatting on an mp3 player is useless and if i'm gonna stream stuff I use my PSP.

but if you like streaming on a tiny screen then the wifi would be good for you, it connects to my network no problem.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:27 AM
Banned

@shadow
thanx for your relevant reply, does zen support adsl router??

Old 08-25-2008, 04:13 PM

Default Can you stream Subscription Music via Wi-Fi?

I'm interested if I can download subscription music to my computer (I use Rhapsody) and then put that content on an X-Fi via Wi-Fi (I have a wireless network at home). Anyone tried it?

Old 09-24-2008, 03:04 AM

Default Album Art and Wireless Issue

Hey,

I am wondering if anyone else is facing similar issues when they try to download a song/album/artist from their media server onto their X-Fi. I seem to not be able to download album art along with the files.

I have used Centrale, Windows Media Player, Winamp, and TVersity for wireless sync and while I've gotten it to work for all of them, I still lack the album arts that I get easily using the USB cable. I have tested, too, trying to download an album that I know is properly embedded with the album art as confirmed by the Windows Media Player plug-in "Album Art Fixer."

I'm mainly curious if other people have this issue or have found a solution - I may be overlooking something simple, but I'm not sure. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 09-24-2008, 04:01 AM

I just tried and no album art for me either over wireless, works with usb cable though. Perhaps it can't for some reason over wireless.

Last edited by jdparkin; 09-24-2008 at 04:22 AM.

Old 09-27-2008, 05:49 PM

Default Please Help Me Connect to My Home Network

Hi, dove in today and have purchased a Zen X-Fi 32 gb. Firmware 1.03.01, but I am unable to connnect to my home network.

Followed the instructions to connect to my 802.11g wireless home network, which is standard WPA via a Linksys router, and has a password. The Zen is set to Auto in the systems LAN setting, identifies my home network properly and asks me for the password. I've put the password in a dozen times, including right next to the router, and each time it changes screen for a split second (can't tell to what), then asks again (and again) for my network password. Please, anyone know what's going on and how to solve this?

Old 09-27-2008, 06:01 PM

Okay, solved it -- when I hit the okay button repeatedly to reach the numbers in the password, I could not access the network. When I held the ok button down until the number appeared, I was able to access the network. Hope this helps someone else.

Old 09-28-2008, 04:00 AM

Thanks, will try it with my Zen. I also have this problem, if you just press the password disappears. I hope this and the weird text input will be fixed in next firmware.

EDIT: Worked magically, thanks! rep+

Last edited by ToJa92; 09-28-2008 at 04:38 AM.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:46 AM

Default Zen X-fi Rejecting WiFi Password

I've been experiencing this problem lately, my zen would simply reject the password to my Wifi network, while other devices are accepting it.

Probably this is because of the firmware upgrade of my modem, which was done by the internet service guys, after which all the wireless devices stopped catching the network, showing"limited connectivity".

They came and fixed the problem on the laptops etc, but when I asked them about my Zen X-fi, they said they could not help!

What is the way out now?

Old 01-01-2009, 08:24 PM

Have you tried resetting the player? maybe this will do the trick to detect the new settings?

Old 01-02-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starZz View Post
Have you tried resetting the player? maybe this will do the trick to detect the new settings?

No things didn't work, I had to keep my router with password disabled, then it did

Old 01-10-2009, 10:40 AM

I'm having the same issue as the original poster. I followed the link and have set up Media Sharing (with automatically allow) in Vista, but the player still only shows the Creative MediaBox server. Is there a possible Service I have turned off? Also, I'm using Windows Firewall, but it has the correct pass-throughs for the Centrale software. It still fails to see the server even if I turn off the firewall completely. And I never see a popup notification asking me to allow the connection, with auto-allow checked or unchecked.
Suggestions?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:36 AM

I have the original issue too, same as Imposter, using XP. The original unit was assumed faulty for this reason, but the replacement is no better, except for one isolated occasion after enabling Media Sharing in WMP, when it was suddenly able to wirelessly browse the PC's files, then it locked up trying to shutdown, which prompted a firmware upgrade - since when MediaBox is all I get (if that). I've spent hours on this trying everything: turned off the firewall, MAC filtering on and off, even took MS advice to change registry settings, on and on - nothing works.

Creative's Support have modified their website advice since I took the issue up with them, but nothing they can offer makes any difference. I love the player, but will have to ask for my money back if this can't be resolved. Could anyone please help?

Tags
album art, sync, wireless, x-fi, zen x-fi, zen x-fi inquiry, zen x-fi router, zen x-fi wifi, zen x-fi wireless