android
Go Back   abi>>forums > General Audio > Speakers

Old 08-17-2008, 10:48 PM
General Audio Moderator

Default I have got highs and lows, it must not be a bose

So I have noticed the popularity of Bose systems in Arizona in restaurants and people buying them at local store, I almost always see at least one sucker with a set of Bose speakers with a decent denon receiver going out of a electronic retailer... Why ? as over priced crap goes, they are one of the worst besides maybe B & O, to be honest I have only now learned of Bose, previously being told they were good... So curious today i took a look at the 301's qand holy crap $300 for these POS speakers, I take the grill off, and what the hell... untreated paper cones, for $300 -_- anyways I ranted becuase it seems people really do just buy brand names ... anyways just a rant...

Oh and can some one tell me why no Bose system has the specs listed of response... is it really that bad? still can't get over the un treated paper, it was like construction paper quality.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-18-2008, 11:39 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I tried the bose tri-port HP's and my HD202's are SOOOO much better in the SQ dept. yuki you are so on point!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Yuki, just read that: http://www.intellexual.net/bose.html - this also includes measurements of a Bose 5.1 system. It looks as bad on paper as it sounds in reality.

There are some niche products that sound really good considering their form factor, like their (still way overpriced) Wave Radio, but for regular speakers you certainly can get twice as good sounding ones for half the price. Not to mention Bose's build quality.

Same goes for B&O - they have some great and ingenious products (BeoLab 5 are said to be some of the best speakers money can buy - and I sure hope so, for $16.000), but other products are just overpriced duds with pretty design.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I'd rather get the JVC KaBoom Box!!!

Old 08-18-2008, 12:20 PM
General Audio Moderator

wow that article was entertaining, so it is basically construction paper.. I have never heard a wave radio so I could not say, people say it sound good fro the price, personally i like the Boston acoustics one that looks like the wave radio. As B & O go I have always like the BeoLab 5, I have heard some at the B & O store and they sound great, and they look good, but also they aren't assembled with low cost in mind. But B & O really does make over priced for their sound quality when it comes to their music systems. Also I have tried the tri ports in the store and they sounded hollow as hell, the HD-202's, about a $25 head phone sound miles above it... Actually to be honest though I have always had a hard time finding a pair of sub $80 headphones that I like as much as the 202's except maybe the EH line

I was in shock Bose uses LDF in their bass module, I just picked up a polk 10 inch sub for about $120 and it even uses a carbon composite cone and heavy ass MDF... and I even think with polk you are buying a name...

Last edited by yuki; 08-18-2008 at 12:27 PM.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:02 PM

I agree i listened to their freaking expensive notebook speakers, cost like $700 here in NZ. they sound good for the size but it is a bit muffled. Even my $55 altec lansing sounds superior to those Piece of crap bose. ( sorry did not mean to offend )