android
Old 08-12-2008, 03:05 AM

Default Editing wps

Hi. I just got an e280, installed rockbox, and I love it, and I'm attempting to customize a bit further, but I am confused by the tagging system used for the wps (I'm a noob).

Specifically, I am trying to edit an existing wps file for an existing theme. I have tried to identify the tags used, eliminate the ones I don't want, add the ones I do, save it, and then copy it to the location I got it from in .rockbox directory, but when I do, it never makes any changes to the wps. I tried settings>theme settings>browse wps file> then selecting the file I just replaced, but no changes are seen.

In case it helps, I edited the file in ms notebook, then clicked save, as to directly repalce it, and also tried saving it as a .wps file, as suggested in the rockbox tag guide, but niether methd worked.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-12-2008, 08:34 PM

No help anywhere?

I have also tried to change the wps to another one that is pre-loaded on rockbox, but it shows no changes to the wps. Can someone tell me why?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you editing the right files? Are you reading this: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/CustomWPS?

Old 08-12-2008, 10:58 PM

For best results
extract the theme to your harddrive
edit the wps there
save the wps
drag and drop the .rockbox folder and everything below it to the root directory of your sansa
reboot sansa
then select the theme from your theme browser

Old 08-12-2008, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
Are you editing the right files? Are you reading this: http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/CustomWPS?
Yeah, I am trying to read that guide, but this is the first time that I have attempted to write code in anything, and I am not sure that I am using the tags correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter940 View Post
For best results
extract the theme to your harddrive
edit the wps there
save the wps
drag and drop the .rockbox folder and everything below it to the root directory of your sansa
reboot sansa
then select the theme from your theme browser
So do I need to put the edited wps file in both the files for the theme, as well as the wps folder in .rockbox? I mean, there is a wps folder in the .rockbox directory, as well as a foler called themes, then inside the themes folrder there is another folder callwed wps. Do I need to relpace both?

I attempted to take out the dB level in the theme I am using, but the changes are never seen, the wps remains just as it is in default for that theme.

Thanks again for the help, sorry if this is really noob s**t to everyone.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The WPS are in the WPS folder and I think you need to put the WPS in that folder too.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:25 AM

Okay, So I think I figured out that it is just the fact that the wps I am trying to use is broken, because I am using yesterday's build, so I need to atttempt to make the changes to the wps myself I suppose.

Although, I tried to download some themes from the forums here, the one's with [VP] next to them, as I was under the impression that they were updated, but even those wps files are broken. Do I need to try to go back to an older build (around the date that that particular [vp] theme was posted)? I looked at the wps files, and I think the proper changes have been made from looking at the thread here that notes the breaking of wps, and the line changes causing it. Why would my wps still be broken?

Thanks again.

Last edited by wormocious; 08-13-2008 at 12:31 AM.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Ultra Senior Member

WPS theme files only changes the WPS. You need to apply the whole theme to see the menus if that is what you are going by.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
WPS theme files only changes the WPS. You need to apply the whole theme to see the menus if that is what you are going by.
I have applied the whole theme, and the menus look as they are supposed to, but the wps is all text.

I am trying to use these themes:

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28861

and blackglass AA, found here:

http://rockbox-themes.cleansoap.org/...res=320x240x16

Can't see any reason they would still be broken.

Thanks.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:43 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Blackglass AA layout is not for the Sansa. It has a different screen size.

I will look at the other one tho.

Edit: I looked at the other one. It is broken. It has the old %pb in it, so you need to update it. Plus, it uses %P too.

Last edited by advcomp2019; 08-13-2008 at 12:51 AM.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:35 AM

Sorry, that was a stupid mistake.

I'll have to try to make a fix for that. Thanks for checking for me.

Any tips you could foresee that I might get hung up on? I looked at the custom wps guide, as well as the rockbox forums post about what broke the wps, but I was pretty intimidated, as well as confused.

Thanks again, I hope I can teach myself enough to get this looking like I'd like. I love rockbox otherwise. Once I find out how to manipulate the wps I'll be a happy man.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Just read up on the link for custom WPS. You could use the Sims because it is easier then waiting for the Database Refresh if yours does that.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 PM

Thanks for all the help and input. I'll be trying to fix those issues, and I'm sure I'll have more questions. Thanks for the patience as well, I am new to all this.

Is it not odd that all the themes that come in the complete install all have broken wps screens? I thought that those would be okay, and that it would just be ones I found elsewhere that needed to be fixed.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:34 PM

I noticed too that if you use the rockbox install program it has a tab where you can install themes. Unfortunately many of those themes are old and won't work with the new build.

Below I have links to two versions of a theme I did.
The first worked on the old build before viewports and the second is updated to the viewport build. Download them both and compare the WPS files to see what needed to be changed. The WPS is the ONLY file I needed to update, everything else can be left as is. Once you see what needs to be updated you can apply that to any of the other themes you like.

I would suggest you get your themes from HERE, HERE, or HERE. The last link probably being the most updated. Download them directly to your harddrive and edit them there then try them out in the simulator to save you a lot of time in testing. When it looks right just drag and drop to your player.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BECIIscope.zip (52.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: zip BECIIscopeVP.zip (47.7 KB, 0 views)

Old 08-13-2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carpenter940 View Post
I noticed too that if you use the rockbox install program it has a tab where you can install themes. Unfortunately many of those themes are old and won't work with the new build.

Below I have links to two versions of a theme I did.
The first worked on the old build before viewports and the second is updated to the viewport build. Download them both and compare the WPS files to see what needed to be changed. The WPS is the ONLY file I needed to update, everything else can be left as is. Once you see what needs to be updated you can apply that to any of the other themes you like.

I would suggest you get your themes from HERE, HERE, or HERE. The last link probably being the most updated. Download them directly to your harddrive and edit them there then try them out in the simulator to save you a lot of time in testing. When it looks right just drag and drop to your player.
Yeah, I had found all those outlets for themes, but a surprising number of them had broke wps files. I actually decided to try kugel's build, and found that it was a lot better about having working wps files.

Now i am in the process of organizing my album art into a form that I can see in rockbox. I have been working on it for about 3 hours, and I am in the 'b's. Whew, this is gonna take a while.

Thanks again though for all the input. I'm sure you'll hear from me again.