android
Old 04-22-2012, 04:35 PM

I have to gripe about something. People keep redirecting forum users to use WIN XP to update the firmware in their Zen Vision M's. I really don't think this is necessary, provided the computer is recognizing the player. The problem with WIN 7 is that the driver that is necessary for the PC to interface with the Zen does not always intialize when the players is first plugged in.

If your PC recognizes the player, and you will know this when you are able to sync music, you will be able to update the firmware, unless the player is broken.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 AM

I'm about to finally swap out the HD for a CF on my trusty ZVW.

A few clarifying questions:

Has anyone tried/had success with the 266x Kingston CF cards? They appear to be significantly cheaper than the 133x's actually (about half the cost).

Also, people have pointed to the TOPRAM cards (made with Samsung OEM chips) -- are these the "Samsung OEM" CF cards referred to as verified working? Has anyone gotten an actual TOPRAM card and tried it?

There have been several people in this thread that have mentioned trying several other cards that meet the specs, yet there's only four confirmed cards. Anyone have additional information on the other brands (Transcend, RiDATA, ADATA, other model Kingston/Lexars)? edit: I'm also really curious about the SD/MicroSD-CF adapters and if anyone has tried the Photofast/Digigear adapters..

Has anyone not had luck with specific CF-ZIF adapters? Are there ones to avoid, or are they pretty much the same? I was considering one like this.

Thanks! I will definitely post results of whatever I end up doing.

Last edited by grivad; 05-01-2012 at 12:14 AM.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have used this http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOPRAM-32GB-...item4ceaa05180 32GB TopRam CF card in my ZVM & a 16GB in a Zen Micro. The Adata card I used is not easy to find & pricey when you do.

Old 05-05-2012, 03:09 PM

A couple updates:

I'm not having any luck. I have tried with two different CF's, one verified here and one not:
I have had the exact same results with both. I've tried two different types of CF-ZIF adapters as well:

I have a Tarkan adapter on the way as well.

With all combinations, the closest I've gotten is getting the "Hard Disk Error" when using the PA-CF18Z with either card. Neither will format. I feel like I've tried everything. With the CF2IDE18ZIF, it would just sit there saying "Formatting" forever and wouldn't budge. With this card, switching the card to Slave would get me an LED on the board (no idea what it does, no label or documentation I could find), but of course it would not format either.

I'm considering giving up with the CF (unless someone can give me a definitive combination of items that will work) and trying an SSD, possibly a Super Talent 64GB ZIF SSD. Has anyone tried this yet or have any tips/suggestions?

Old 05-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I doubt that the 64GB card will work. Hard disk error may be caused by the zif cable not being inserted properly or damaged. If you are not using a XP /WMP10/Sp2or3 then you won't ever get the firmware installed. You can also run the OS in a virtual machine environment but it must be as specified.I do believe I posted exactly what parts I used in this thread.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachop94 View Post
I doubt that the 64GB card will work. Hard disk error may be caused by the zif cable not being inserted properly or damaged. If you are not using a XP /WMP10/Sp2or3 then you won't ever get the firmware installed. You can also run the OS in a virtual machine environment but it must be as specified.I do believe I posted exactly what parts I used in this thread.
Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll skip out on the SSD.. I noticed that you upgraded your ZV:M though, I'm wondering if the ZV:W is pickier..

Regarding the Hard Disk Error, I've tried and re-tried adjusting the cable.. I don't think it's damaged, as I can put in the old hard drive and it works perfect. I guess I'll keep fiddling with it.

I'm bummed because I really wanted to go solid state for this portable. If I were to go with a regular HD, as long as the form factor is correct, do we know if there are any limitations firmware-wise which would prevent using a 120GB drive or anything larger than 60GB?

Old 05-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I just noticed you are working with a Zen W . I think they may be picky. You can use a larger drive.There is a Ebay seller that upgrades Creative players. http://www.ebay.com/sch/***********/...&_trksid=p3692

Old 05-08-2012, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grivad View Post
...trying an SSD, possibly a Super Talent 64GB ZIF SSD. Has anyone tried this yet or have any tips/suggestions?
So, an update. The SSD works.. sort of. It's getting me closer at least. The SSD is recognized and can be formatted, showing me ~58GB free, however the firmware update keeps failing.

Also, not sure where this requirement for XP/WMP10 comes from -- I have installed the firmware using the stock HD several times with zero problems in Win7 x64.

Still trying. Tempted to get a Coby player for $80 which handles MKVs and everything else the Vision does, although it's limited to only 16GB MicroSDs..

Last edited by grivad; 05-08-2012 at 08:19 PM.

Old 05-09-2012, 11:04 PM

Another update (in case anyone tries to venture down this road).

Second to last ditch effort was with a 32GB TOPRAM CF. No dice here either. The same results -- formatting for a bit, then Hard Disk Error. The last ditch effort will be with the Tarkan adapter.

As a replacement for my trusty Zen Vision:W, after much, much research for a capable replacement player, I've decided to pick up a ZiiO 7" with a 32GB MicroSD. As a media player, it looks like it'll do the job nicely (5+ hour video playback, wide range of formats supported, hardware accelerated decode, decent enough screen, HDMI out, etc.). I'm not buying it to be a used as a tablet, strictly for media. The cost is actually comparable to what it'd cost to upgrade the ZV:W to CF.

I'll update after I get the Tarkan. If that fails as well, all this will be going back up on eBay! If it works, well, the upgraded Zen will probably go up on eBay too if the ZiiO works out

Old 06-06-2012, 08:38 AM

Would just like to say thanks for all the info here. Love my ZVM, own the speaker dock and have fitted a docking station in my car, so if I'd of had to replace my ZVM for something newer I'd of had to replace everything else too! So when my HDD started to fail I found this site

I've just fitted a 16GB Kingston CF. First firmware install froze, 2nd, 3rd and 4th all resulted in Firmware error. However after restarting and then just formatting it, it now loads fine

Old 07-03-2012, 01:15 PM

Last update from me. The Tarkan adapter didn't work either. So all attempts at upgrading the ZV:W with a CF card were futile.. nothing worked. Sigh. However, getting a cheap 7" tablet with a 32GB CF card and HDMI out is working out quite nicely!

Old 10-30-2014, 09:29 AM

Default Hello All

I post this on behalf of anyone still working with this unit, the Creative Zen Vision:M.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to revive mine after losing two 1.8" IDE drives to it.
- A Mach Xtreme SSD did not work
- A KingSpec SSD did not work
- A Kingston Ultimate 266x 64gb Compact Flash + PA-CF18Z combo ALMOST did not work until I got a wild hair. The previous two SSDs may have worked with this change, I do not know.

At one point in the past I had stabbed a pen through my ZIF connector and had to order replacements.

http://www.portatronics.com/product_...Cable-ZIF.html

On a lark I started digging around for one of those cables, as I had gotten two, I believe the other was in my 30gb. I am not sure what happened, but the cable I found was different from the one I was using. Clearly labeled Creative on the one I was using, it had shorter metal pins than the replacement I ordered by almost two times.

When I connected this other cable, with longer pins, everything IMMEDIATELY started working. The flash card was noticed immediately, it formatted in seconds, and my Windows /8/ laptop with a firmware file on it was able to detect the ZEN, update it, and it is alive and functioning now.

It formats from 64 to 61gb of capacity so this is almost as good as an actual IDE drive. The PA-CF18Z fits into the original HD protective moldings and the unit is back the way it was.

I leave this for those who struggle with the same. Check not just your devices but your connectors as well. I wish I had tried this before I RMA'd the other two drives. Who knows? The KingSpec may have worked. But now at least, I have a compact flash solution, and that's very easy to replace and perhaps upgrade in the future as they price drop in bigger sizes.

Old 10-31-2014, 04:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Good to see you got one working.