android
Old 07-31-2008, 08:42 PM
General Audio Moderator

Default my new $190 stereo, and sound great ^^

Ok so i wanted something cheap, and please don't bash on it but it sounds really quite good ^^. I bought it more of a system to hold me over until i get a pair of dyna audio monitors that dfkt mentioned...

Insignia NS-R2000 (sherwood 2.0 oem)
Insignia NS-B2111 speakers (some Chinese oem)
Rocket fish 20 feet of 16 gauge wire (on clearance for like $6 for the spool)

The amp sounds pretty decent at low power levels and doesn't produce any hiss at the levels i drive the speakers and no noticeable ground loop ^^.

The speakers sound great, I mean they sound better the Klipsch Synergy III book shelf or even the Polk TSI200... That said they have a resonance issue with some music but not at moderate listening levels, yet the stereo image is quit expansive ^^. They sound excellent with classical music which is what i was hoping for.

The build quality is quit good, they are heavy and solid, feeling much better than they cost. Also the driver system is that the tweeter is co axial with the woofer so it replaces the dust cap with a silk dome tweeter. They have decent binding posts in the back and are rounded to help with resonance... I think I will be tweaking the baffling and cross over inside soon ^^. So yeah I have no idea who OEM's these but they are unmatched for the price in my opinion.

Also I picked up a new media center PC, the acer aspire x1200, plays back 1080p video at less than 30% cpu use. Dual core amd x5200+, 4GB of ram, 320gb hard drive, hdmi out with hdmi audio. Very quiet, uses a large copper cpu fan.

So what do you guys think ?

Last edited by yuki; 07-31-2008 at 08:53 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-31-2008, 10:05 PM

Pardon me for being a fool, but...I'm confused.

I see and read about an amp and some speakers, but no...well..nothing else. By themselves they can't really play anything but maybe a tuner. What and where is the sound source?

Last edited by Drive-In-Freak; 07-31-2008 at 10:19 PM.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 PM
General Audio Moderator

the analog out on the acer is the audio source, and not a bad one at all, the lows are a bit muted compared to my m-audio usb device though

Old 08-01-2008, 10:17 PM

Oh..yea...duh! I should have known, but didn't make the connection. Man, do I feel like and old fart sometimes.

I've never had anything more than an old boombox hooked into my computer, and for some odd reason never really thought to. I'm sure that's quite common today.
I really should dust off a spare amp and some bookshelf speakers and give it a shot.

I kinda dig the odd shape and design of those little speakers..they look good. The coax drivers are a nice touch too.

Old 08-03-2008, 07:54 PM

speaker stands need to be solid as possible.
even bricks would be better than those boxes

Old 08-04-2008, 07:55 AM

Nice budget setup, Yuki!

I believe the Insignia speakers are KEV OEM clones, from what I gathered.

As for speaker stands, they really don't matter much as long as you put some spikes on the speaker housing for decoupling.

Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 AM
General Audio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Nice budget setup, Yuki!

I believe the Insignia speakers are KEV OEM clones, from what I gathered.

As for speaker stands, they really don't matter much as long as you put some spikes on the speaker housing for decoupling.
Yeah I was guessing they were KEV clones, I can't think of one other company that makes bookshelf with coaxial drivers... Either or, these things sound great, the bass was a bit off until I moved them to listing level. They almost look like early swan speakers I have seen before. I am still curious who makes them, the cross over on some models says first audio... The interesting is the manuals have some Korean and not Chinese characters on them....

As for spikes, I was thinking that, someone said that to me... For now I have them on some heavy metal racks. I need to work on cable management, check below ^^, I had to get rid of the ugly ass tv stand... it was getting to me, my roommate, and boy friend. The only side effect is that the metal racks are almost like a Faraday cage if you put the router in the correct place, no signal in the bedrooms, so that took a bit of moving to find the spot it was working with.

The only thing I am thinking of doing is adding an asus xonar external to the pc as the internal sound device, the on board sound chip is still muddy on the lows, you can hear it on headphones as well. You would be amazed though how much better sound is in vista once you go into the options and turn off all the "enhancements", a friend was saying that vista re samples all system audio that is not kernal based to the max the sound device supports if it is not turned off.

Last edited by yuki; 08-04-2008 at 08:54 AM.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:38 AM
General Audio Moderator

So I added a sub woofer, it is a 50 watt model with a 10 inch driver about $120 I think a little more after tax... Well after a little messing with the cross over I got it to sound very good, not boomy, I think people that said this sub was boomy didnt take the time to properly configure the sub. I have it on a table to minimize ground vibration and I use it for music to compliment the speakers which have bass response to about 55Hz... the Polk sub sound good at moderate and higher volumes when the cross over is set a bit above 60... The table does not resonate at all after setting it up and the bass seems pretty non directional. Its far from being a great sub, but I like it and it sound good... It is great for music.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:42 AM

Like most of these kinds of subs, it would probably sound a lot better if you put it in a corner of the room, not in the middle. Just a guess...

Old 08-18-2008, 11:50 AM
General Audio Moderator

yeah the sub will be louder and cleaner in a corner but we live on the top floor of a crappy apartment with floor that just resonate, even from the bookshelf speakers... We will be moving to a house rental soon though so then I can set it up in a corner, but for now i needed some lower end for the harmonics on cellos... I will actually be using this as a bedroom system once we get a house, I will want suggestions then for a good music system for a higher price range, I have saved about $1600 so far and about $1700 next pay check. About $100 a paycheck is going to my ideal music system... My setup is a bit ghetto right now but it sounds goodly to me ^^. As the floor boards go I bet my bass heavy headphones could make the floor resonate ^^, it is just that bad. I really want a sexy Austrian valve amp and German speakers (or Austrian speakers with German drivers ^^), so I might be pushing more money in the savings, I also have a video projector and surround system I am looking into as a separate savings, I may just hold off on that.

Last edited by yuki; 08-18-2008 at 12:03 PM.