android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > SanDisk Sansa > Sansa e200 > Sansa e200 Rockbox

Old 07-30-2008, 06:38 AM

Default Car installation - Booting to Rockbox when placing on a Griffin PowerDock cradle

Hi. I hope the title is descriptive enough.

I did an installation by modding a Griffin PowerDock and everything is working good, with power being provided and audio being fed to the aux input of my sound system.

The icing on the cake would be for the Sansa (it's an E280) to boot to Rockbox when I place it in the cradle and it's in an off state. As of now, it boots to the original firmware.

I tried the reverse bootloader stuff but I had to go through recovery mode after bricking my Sansa And I'm not sure if it would reverse *that* aspect anyway.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-30-2008, 07:13 AM

That's funny - I use the Sansa e280 in a conventional Griffin Powerdock setup. There's a USB cable connected to a power strip to feed the Sansa.

When I place my rockboxed Sansa (CPChan branch) unpowered in the cradle, it always boots to rockbox. I have to hold the right button to get it to boot standard firmware.

Why would that be swapped in a car installation? Could it be your version of Rockbox?

Old 07-30-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco View Post
That's funny - I use the Sansa e280 in a conventional Griffin Powerdock setup. There's a USB cable connected to a power strip to feed the Sansa.

When I place my rockboxed Sansa (CPChan branch) unpowered in the cradle, it always boots to rockbox. I have to hold the right button to get it to boot standard firmware.

Why would that be swapped in a car installation? Could it be your version of Rockbox?
Argh! That's exactly how I want it!
Things that differ between your setup and mind:

1) I'm on Kugel's build. Mid-june one IIRC.
2) I cut off the small light led as it was "using power" from my car battery for nothing. I was afraid of leaving it connected overnight (probably overcautious here).
3) The USB is connected to a cigar lighter adapter, so I think it just feeds the power but no other "USB stuff".

Edit: by re-reading what you wrote... your setup, too, has not a "real" USB connection but just the power side of it, correct?

Old 07-30-2008, 11:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I use my Griffin PowerDock with power only with Rockbox just fine, but I have been using the Official Rockbox build tho.

Edit: Forgot that I had to use the Select button while plugging it in at times.

Last edited by advcomp2019; 07-30-2008 at 12:12 PM.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:28 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorman View Post
Hi. I hope the title is descriptive enough.

I did an installation by modding a Griffin PowerDock and everything is working good, with power being provided and audio being fed to the aux input of my sound system.

The icing on the cake would be for the Sansa (it's an E280) to boot to Rockbox when I place it in the cradle and it's in an off state. As of now, it boots to the original firmware.

I tried the reverse bootloader stuff but I had to go through recovery mode after bricking my Sansa And I'm not sure if it would reverse *that* aspect anyway.
Press and hold select upon inserting the cable to prevent rockbox from rebooting. I hope this helps.

€dit: I see, my hint couldn't help. I guess you need to mod your Dock even further, and prevent the USB-Data pins from being connected with the sansa. The sansa boots into the OF if the Rockbox Bootloader detects an USB connection.

Last edited by kugel; 07-30-2008 at 12:34 PM.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugel View Post
Press and hold select upon inserting the cable to prevent rockbox from rebooting. I hope this helps.
Sorry, I needed to specify. I'm aware of that way.
But it's against the principle of use that I have in mind. I want to be able to enter my car and just plug it in. It's not really easy to be keeping the select button pressed when placing the Sansa on the cradle.

I was wondering if there was a way to modify the behaviour in order to reverse it.

- Place in cradle---> Rockbox boots
- Place in cradle while pressing select---> OF boots

Would it be an easy modification (not asking for this to be inserted in your build, just as a general question. I might pay some small amount of money to have it done by somebody, as it's totally over my head)?

Old 07-30-2008, 12:35 PM
Rockbox Developer

Read my edit please

PS: I can't include that in my build. That's bootloader stuff.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Press the Select when Rockbox is already booted up will stop Rockbox from rebooting if it does.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:40 PM

Ok, another question (and thanks for your time, btw): if I cut off the USB data pins (which I have no use for in the car, obviously) would that in any way impede the capability of Rockbox to detect that the unit is plugged in.

I have it setup so that when it's in the cradle backlighting stays always on.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by advcomp2019 View Post
Press the Select when Rockbox is already booted up will stop Rockbox from rebooting if it does.
It's funny... I don't need to do that.

It's enough for me to just press the power button and initiate the boot sequence. Once it reaches the Kugel's splash screen I can plug it in and it does not reboots to OF.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Rockbox Developer

No, the Sansa turns on if it gets power (by hardware design).

Old 07-30-2008, 12:45 PM

I'm not sure I get the sense of your reply.
I'm referring to the Settings/General Settings/Display/LCD Settings/Backlight (While Plugged In).
If I cut the USB data connection, will rockbox be able to tell that the unit is plugged in, hence keeping the backlight on at all times (as per my setting).

Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

You can try cutting the USB data connection, but I think you need to boot into Rockbox then plug it in.

Old 07-30-2008, 12:50 PM
Rockbox Developer

Quote:
I'm not sure I get the sense of your reply.
I'm referring to the Settings/General Settings/Display/LCD Settings/Backlight (While Plugged In).
If I cut the USB data connection, will rockbox be able to tell that the unit is plugged in, hence keeping the backlight on at all times (as per my setting).
AFAIR yes.

Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 PM

Wink LED

Quote:
Argh! That's exactly how I want it!
Things that differ between your setup and mind:

1) I'm on Kugel's build. Mid-june one IIRC.
2) I cut off the small light led as it was "using power" from my car battery for nothing. I was afraid of leaving it connected overnight (probably overcautious here).
3) The USB is connected to a cigar lighter adapter, so I think it just feeds the power but no other "USB stuff".

Edit: by re-reading what you wrote... your setup, too, has not a "real" USB connection but just the power side of it, correct?
You could run an LED for months and not effect your battery. Ever see the blinking LEDs on car anti theft alarms?

Connect it back up and you'll be fine

Old 07-31-2008, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kugel View Post
PS: I can't include that in my build. That's bootloader stuff.
Do you know anybody who's capable of creating a modified bootloader?

Old 07-31-2008, 10:12 PM

Just to confirm, I'm only connected to power via that dock - no USB - and my Sansa boots up into Rockbox just fine. Obviously, I didn't have to remove any of the data pins in the mini usb. I just have an AC to mini-USB charger connected to the Griffin dock.

Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 PM
Ultra Senior Member

PolloLoco, yea, that is what mine does, too, but there was one or two times it did not.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolloLoco View Post
Just to confirm, I'm only connected to power via that dock - no USB - and my Sansa boots up into Rockbox just fine. Obviously, I didn't have to remove any of the data pins in the mini usb. I just have an AC to mini-USB charger connected to the Griffin dock.
This happens without you pressing any button while booting. Do I get this right?
Could it be that your AC to mini-USB charger does not connect all pins of USB? And mine for some stupid reason does?

Old 08-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Gormon, I have a BlackBerry/Razr charger that I use on my Griffin PowerDock. It works in Rockbox just fine without pressing any button. There was long ago when I had to use Select button a few times, but it seems with the newer builds I have not needed too.