android
Old 07-30-2008, 06:56 AM

Default Which size to purchase?

Hey, recently decided that I needed a new DAP, and after about a month's research, I was 99% for the the D2. After reading a post over at iAudiophile about having a portable encyclopedia on the player (not that's incredibly important, just the occasionally usefulness and the look-at-this factor), I've just hit 100%.

So now comes the time to decide the size. Living in Australia, the choices are fairly limited, only two stores actually sell them. One is rediculously overpriced, but the other happens to be a great store with good feedback from a friend.

The store had stock in 4GB and 16GB, I was set on the 16, as I didn't want to be buying an expansion card straight after purchase. Yesterday, the 8GB model came back, making the desicion slightly harder. the prices are $199, $239 and $295 (in a logical order).

My music collection is about 3.5GB, I have about 5GB of downloaded youtube videos that I wouldn't mind revisiting, and the player will be used for a few pictures.

So, if I wasn't to split up my music, I'd be going for the 8 or 16 varieties. The thread is really to ask whether the extra $56 is worth the extra 8GB internal.

Thanks for any help, add anything you like or even if you think I should go for 4GB.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-30-2008, 07:10 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXit View Post
……… So, if I wasn't to split up my music, I'd be going for the 8 or 16 varieties. The thread is really to ask whether the extra $56 is worth the extra 8GB internal …
Look at it this way, $7.00 per extra gb up to 8 more is the $56.00 you talking bout. Yes, by all means buy the 16gb D2. If you can afford it buy an expansion card & earphones as well. If your dealing with a sales person, ask for the WalkGood Special

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 07-30-2008, 07:33 AM

Headphone's aren't a problem, recently bought a pair of head-direct RE2s which are good enough for me for now.

Thanks, maybe by the time I need more space, SDHC prices will have gone down over here.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I second the opinion of Senor' WalkGood - 16gb ahoy'!!!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:11 PM

Go for 16GB, future-proof yourself!

Old 08-01-2008, 02:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Based on the $199, $239, and $295 pricing, imo it doesn't make sense to get the 8 gig. Whether you should get the 4 gig or 16 gig depends on the maximum amount of storage you think you will need, and the cost of SD cards. If for example, a 16 gig class 6 SD card is only $60, and you don't think you will ever need more than 20 gigs of storage, then getting the 4 gig makes sense. If 12 gigs of storage seems plenty for you, and you can get an 8 gig class 6 SD card for under $35, then a 4 gig player plus an 8 gig SD card might make sense. If SD cards are very expensive there though, or you think you might want over 20 gigs of storage then it makes sense to get the 16 gig player.

Some think it is preferable to have storage internal rather than on a card. Perhaps this is true for protected files(can protected files even be placed on SD cards and accessed properly in the player? I am not sure about this). Making few writes to the internal memory, and swapping files frequently on the SD card will mean that the memory on the SD card will be more likely to become defective rather than the internal memory. If the intermal memory becomes defective or partially defective will the player still work properly just off SD cards, or if the internal memory is defective will the player be non functional?

Old 08-01-2008, 10:50 PM

Get the 16gb. At those prices I think it's the best value.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:15 AM

16GB for myself, this is what I recommend for you should it agree with your budget. I would buy a 32GB model if they would release one. I see myself easily filling all 16GB and more SDHC cards as well.
Wish List: SanDisk Sansa e280 v1 (to be Rockboxed) & 16GB micro SDHC card (for use with my Sennheiser CX-300's) & DLO Action Jacket and/or Cowon D2 16GB w/32GB SDHC card & JAVOSkin + JAVOedge Ultra-Clear JAVOScreen

Old 08-02-2008, 09:28 AM

I would check the prices for SDHC cards first. Since the D2 works fine with SDHC I bought a 4gb D2 and a 16gb SDHC. this was way more cheap then buying the 16gb and add another 4gb to have the same result.
I am waiting for the 32gb to drop in price and I'll get that one as well

Old 08-02-2008, 11:37 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Just remember the 4ooo file limit on the internal as well as the external memory. 4000int + 4000ext = 8000

Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bram_manck View Post
I would check the prices for SDHC cards first. Since the D2 works fine with SDHC I bought a 4gb D2 and a 16gb SDHC. this was way more cheap then buying the 16gb and add another 4gb to have the same result.
I am waiting for the 32gb to drop in price and I'll get that one as well
Yes, it is cheaper way to get 20gb but even with 32gb SD your maximum capacity will be 36gb and with 16 gb player it's 48gb (it's more than many HDD players offer). If price really matters you may tweak capacity with SDHC, if capacity is more important buy the biggest player available.
And there'll be also some battery life loss if any SD card remains in the slot.

Old 08-03-2008, 02:04 PM
ABI Invaluable

JetAudio has a 16 gb for $229.99 through amazon (see link under more buying choices, right side), click here. That price seems very good to me, and it's $65.00 cheaper than the $295.00 one you found.

Old 08-03-2008, 10:25 PM

Alright, first off JK98 and Walkgood, the TC is from Australia so the prices you keep listing are either non-applicable to him or would end up being much more with conversion rates.

Second, TC, this issue is only one you can decide on for yourself. Everyone here is gonna talk themselves in circles or tell you to get the max capacity in the end. You said that you have about 9ish GB of info you wanna put on the player. Logically you'd want to go with some combination in excess of that. I would recommend the 16GB as there is no 12GB option. Not having an SD card saves you the time it takes to load up after syncing with the computer (for me ~min with my 16GB card.) As mentioned there is a small hit on battery life when accessing data from the SD card. You'll avoid that too.

Don't let anyone talk to you about needed capacities in excess of 24GB, no actual person needs that. Assuming that you're the average person, you should be good to go with that relative capacity. I knew a guy that had an 80GB ipod and he talked about how much he needed that room, just needed it. When I asked him how much content he had on the player, he told me that he had about 20GB but that he was gonna load it to capacity real soon. Yeah right! Ughh

Rant done for the day!
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 08-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansaRulez83 View Post
Alright, first off JK98 and Walkgood, the TC is from Australia so the prices you keep listing are either non-applicable to him or would end up being much more with conversion rates.

Second, TC, this issue is only one you can decide on for yourself. Everyone here is gonna talk themselves in circles or tell you to get the max capacity in the end. You said that you have about 9ish GB of info you wanna put on the player. Logically you'd want to go with some combination in excess of that. I would recommend the 16GB as there is no 12GB option. Not having an SD card saves you the time it takes to load up after syncing with the computer (for me ~min with my 16GB card.) As mentioned there is a small hit on battery life when accessing data from the SD card. You'll avoid that too.

Don't let anyone talk to you about needed capacities in excess of 24GB, no actual person needs that. Assuming that you're the average person, you should be good to go with that relative capacity. I knew a guy that had an 80GB ipod and he talked about how much he needed that room, just needed it. When I asked him how much content he had on the player, he told me that he had about 20GB but that he was gonna load it to capacity real soon. Yeah right! Ughh

Rant done for the day!
SansaRulez83 - Trying to make friends I see?
Get the highest capacity that will give you the longest life of the player. 16gb for a flash player is small and, even if you never get an sdhc card, you'll still have plenty of space on the internal.
As for it eating up battery time using an sd card - even if ya' get 40 something hrs - SO WHAT?
And on the subject of space on an iPod: I had an iPod Video 60gb and pretty much had it maxed out. Video's can do that you know. As well as there being MANY who like to carry around their personal library w/them. Most w/an iPod do that. I know quite a few myself that do. I have 24gb of space and I'm PISSED cause the capacity is STILL so low for most flash based players.
Remember, the OP can only decide for themselves BUT your trying to make a decision FOR them as well, just as ALL of us are trying to help do. Were ALL just as guilty as the others who've posted here. I still stand by my suggestion of getting a 16gb D2 - the SAME AS YOU'VE SUGGESTED!
As for the place to purchase - darned if'n I KNOW! The OP needs to find a store or site on the net that ships to their location. That's why, unless I know if they're in the US or not, I won't make purchase suggestions.

Rant shall be concluded for the day - AMEN!

Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 PM

go with the lowest capacity that you can find.
I know that it sounds crazy, but just do it, you will save yourself quite a bit of money in the long run.

Just that SDHC cards are so obscenely cheap for the storage that they provide. I picked up an 8GB from Patriot for $27, wheras the additional 8GB onboard memory will run up a cool $100, the price of a 16GB card. So, you can get DOUBLE the storage at the SAME price using an SDHC card.

Yes I know that using an SD card will hurt battery life a bit, but the player will still go for over 40 hours with an SDHC, more than most players can boast. Are you ever going to listen to the D2 for 40 hours straight without a single opportunity to plug it into a wall socket for a hour? Probably no more often that you will listen to it for 50 hours with no charging opportunity (read: never)

If you well and truly need to store your entire movie library in your pocket, then buy multiple SDHC cards, and swap them out.

How many files will you honestly put on it. Unless you 1. work in the music industry and need to store boatloads of ultra-high quality music, 2. Have mutant eyes that enable you to watch 16 GB of movies on that 2.5 inch screen (pray that they aren't widescreen), or 3. Want to cement yourself as the winner of an onboard storage space pissing contest. Then by all means, buy the biggest player that you can get.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:48 AM

Thanks everybody for all your opinions, but I was only able to completely agree on one comment:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SansaRulez83 View Post
Second, TC, this issue is only one you can decide on for yourself.

I ended up buying the 16GB as SDHC prices still aren't fantastic (cheapest: $90 for a class 2 16gb, $214 for class 2 32GB). And to keep a large portion of my library (at least some of my songs will be re-ripped in flac) on me, it would end up being uneconomical to buy an expansion card right away.

So again thanks, can't wait till Tuesday.

Old 08-10-2008, 06:38 AM
ABI Invaluable

Quote:
Originally Posted by aXit View Post
Thanks everybody for all your opinions, but I was only able to completely agree on one comment ...
Looks like you agreed with more than one comment ... you ended up buying the 16gb D2

Congrats mon!

Old 08-10-2008, 07:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

+1 - Enjoy!!!!

Old 08-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Ultra Senior Member

B&H Photo has the 16 gig D2 for $215.95.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...t=Submit+Query

Old 08-11-2008, 12:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I am glad you didn't buy the 8 gig. That would have been the worst choice. Since SD cards are expensive where you are, and having a large class 2 card would be very annoying( too slow! A class 4 card would be tolerable, but class 6 would be better), that leans in favor of the 16 gig rather than the 4 gig. In the US the pricing is $145, $175, and $216(B&H Photo). So the prices here are much more tightly grouped, although SD cards are also much cheaper here. There are now $1.128 Australian dollars to a US dollar, so $295 Australian equals $261.63 US. So prices in Australia don't seem that huge compared to US prices. In other parts of the world, prices might be around double US pricing.

Tags
cowon, d2, iaudio, memory, price