Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-28-2008, 01:22 AM
larrytxeast larrytxeast is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 34
Default Fix For Track-Order Issues with Amazon MP3s

I posted this originally asking for help, and now it turns out I found the answer, and I am posting this in case anyone ever comes across this EXTREMELY sneaking scenario.

I have a Sandisk e280 (v1, 01.03.18A, Rockbox'd) as my player, here is the situation.

I have a folder with 5 songs by the same artist/album--2 are from Amazon, the other 3 are not. The 2 by Amazon sort off to themselves, despite the fact that I have checked out ALL the tags to make sure they are correct.

The songs from Amazon end up at the bottom of the list with a "1." prefix to the track number. In other words:

With Michael Jackson--Dangerous, it should say:

01. Jam
02. Why You Wanna Trip On Me
05. Remember the Time
06. Can't Let Her Get Away
08. Black or Whilte

Instead it says:

02. Why You Wanna Trip On Me
05. Remember the Time
08. Black or Whilte
1.01 Jam
1.06 Can't Let Her Get Away

I posted this trying to get help, while having this in the background, figured out the problem, it is oh-so-sneaky.

I have "Godfather" as a tag-editor, and when opening up the files I couldn't tell any difference--UNTIL I opened up "Full Tag Editor" (right-click the file) and then clicked "More Data." There is a field that says "part of a set." It had "1/1" in the Amazon files, but not the other ones. That explains the extra "1." in front of those files.

I removed those, re-saved the tags, re-loaded those files over the ones on the player, and that fixed it.

That sure is a VERY VERY sneaky little thing, that took me quite awhile to find and I am not so sure you would find it on every tag editor, or especially if you selected "File...Properties....Summary" in Windows Explorer (that's how I previously edited tags).

I can't believe I actually managed to find this. More to the point, I can't believe I had to. Man, my computer literacy I've had over the years--to a level not quite at "Geek Squad" caliber but surely above the average Joe/Jane somewhat--sure comes in handy sometimes. How frustrating scenarios like this must be for people who have decent computer literacy but not at an above-average level. (I can relate--I feel that way myself when it comes to things I stink-at that other guys have at least SOME skill with--like fixing cars, leaky faucets, general home improvement etc. I am utterly helpless with those things, even simple things.)

I thus post this--originally to ask for help, but now to provide it. If anyone has this phenomenon with wacky track order, check to see if you have Amazon MP3s mixed-in with non Amazon MP3s within the same folder. And delete the "1/1" (or whatever) from the "Part of Set" field (if you can find it--again, using the Godfather software I had to do a "Full Tag Edit" and click "More Data"). That is the culprit.

I sure hope this helps somebody out.

Last edited by larrytxeast; 07-28-2008 at 01:23 AM. Reason: Information on Player/Firmware with the Issue
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:27 PM.