android
  #1  
Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
psyllium psyllium is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
Default Samsung T10 ogg quality

I'm having a small drama with my Samsung T10... it seems that for some songs with heavy bass notes when encoded as ogg, playback has this extra high hat sound on it, but the MP3 doesn't. The ogg files plays back fine on the PC.

If I use an mp3 or an aac (m4a) file, I don't hear it at all. I also don't hear it when playing it from my PC using Foobar or Winamp.

So, in order to verify my insanity, I've put samples of these files up here for you to test and compare: In this ZIP file. If you could copy these on to your T10 and have a listen, let me know if you can tell any difference.

The main thing I can hear is once the track gets going, in-between the beats I hear a high hat-like sound. Note however that I can't hear this noise when I play the exact same file in WinAMP or foobar (or as an mp3 on the T10)... it's sending me crazy! I also checked playback using the original CD on a pro quality CD player's headphone output (CDJ200), and couldn't hear it.

The original sample as a FLAC can be downloaded here. Of course, the T10 won't play this (doh!).

The quick fix for this for me would be to just use MP3s for now - but it doesn't solve the puzzle... It would be good to know if there is any problem with the ogg decoder on the T10.

Edit: The ogg files were encoded using foobar/OggEnc v2.85 (libvorbis 1.2.0 [aoTuVb5.5]). My firmware is v3.06.

Last edited by psyllium; 07-21-2008 at 06:31 AM. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 AM
scuba scuba is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 108
Default

I'd be interested to hear what made the ogg files.
The only oggs I have tried to play on my T10 were encoded with SMS and were all faulty.. the file was the issue in that case because the flaws were evident when played back from a PC as well as on the player..
I just wonder if you might have used Emodio, in which they may have fixed some but not all of the bugginess in the ogg encoder and the T10 can't cope with the errors, unlike the PC.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 07-21-2008, 12:37 AM
psyllium psyllium is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
Default

I used foobar with OggEnc v2.85 (libvorbis 1.2.0 [aoTuVb5.5])
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 07-21-2008, 03:29 AM
psyllium psyllium is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
Default

Looks like Cowon D2 users used to have the same issue
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=13581
http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12866

I hope Samsung will be able to release a firmware update for it...
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:06 AM
Mario22 Mario22 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 22
Default

Hi

I downloaded your sample files, and got the same result ! I can hear this noise on the T10 but not on my computer. This is definitely a T10 bug. Never had something like that on my ogg, but it's not the same kind of music ... I think this 'techno' beat is very demanding as far as compression is concerned.

Anyway, I tried to encode your flac into ogg using my oggenc version and settings. It ended up with the exact same noise. (which actually doesn't bother me more than the rest of this music )

This has to be reported to samsung !
Ogg rules, and so does samsung. Something must be done .

Bye
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:08 AM
psyllium psyllium is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
Default

Well at least I am not going crazy.

It's been reported to Samsung though, we'll hopefully see it in a future firmware .

Thanks for trying it out!
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:27 AM
Mario22 Mario22 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 22
Default

FWIW, your ogg file plays fine on my old Samsung YP-U2ZW !
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:29 AM
psyllium psyllium is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 21
Default

That's really strange :/

I've narrowed it down to a setting in the open source 'Tremor' ogg decoder which sets LOW_ACCURACY or something similar. Saving CPU cycles/battery but losing quality at the same time. *sigh*
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:44 AM.