android
Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 AM

Default NooB Rockbox Theme installations

I downloaded some zip files of some cool looking themes and extracted the files to find there was a lot more than a single file. I thought it would be a simple matter of copying over the .cfg file into the theme folder; but it looks more complicated.

The themes I'd previously chosen all came easily installed via the rockbox utility program...but it was a limited selection.

Anybody got a simple set of instructions for adding themes to my e260?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-20-2008, 10:18 AM

Simple instructions for installing themes

In Wndows Explorer, in the theme.ZIP file, right click and hit Extract All

Browse to you Sansa (which should be in MSC mode) and extract to the root

You should get a warning that you are installing .rockbox but there is already a .rockbox there. IGNORE this

Safely disconnect the Sansa/

Old 07-20-2008, 10:23 AM

Cool...thanks Rich. I didn't want to overwrite anything in the rockbox files for fear of corrupting the firmware.

Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 AM

Normally themes are in a zip file containing a folder named ".rockbox". In that folder you have various subfolders, depending on the theme. Normally a theme consists of a backgound, the theme cfg file and a while playing screen (wps). The background is stored in the ".rockbox/backdrops" directory, the wps file in the ".rockbox/wps" directory. If the wps uses images there will also be a folder in the wps directory, which has to have the same name as the wps file. The theme cfg file, found in the ".rockbox/themes" directory, can be named independently. The cfg file defines, which wps file shall be loaded and which backdrop will be set.
Some themes use a specific font, so either you need to download the rockbox fontpack, or the font is provided in the zip file. fonts are located in the ".rockbox/fonts" directory. The last common feature themes have is the icon display for the various filetypes in the main menu and the filebrowser. icons are stored in the ".rockbox/icons" directory.
So if you download a zip file of a theme and open it, there are 2 different options:
1. You see a folder called ".rockbox" in the zip file. Just extract this folder to the root directory of your sansa. Root means not into any subfolder, just the device itself (F:\ G:\ or whatever the driveletter you have specified for your player). You will be asked if you want to overwrite the ".rockbox" folder and you have to click "yes, overwrite" or something sounding alike.
2. If the theme creator was not so tedious with his work, he/she might have put his files into independent folders. if there are the folders mentioned above in the zip file, open your player in another window navigate to the ".rockbox" directory and drag and drop all these folders (wps, backdrops, themes etc.) over to it and overwrite again. or the files are completely out of order, then copy the .wps file to the .rockbox/wps folder, the cfg file to the .rockbox/themes folder, the background .bmp to the .rockbox/backdrops folder, the icon .bmp to the .rockbox/icons folder and the .fnt file to the .rockbox/fonts folder.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
Cool...thanks Rich. I didn't want to overwrite anything in the rockbox files for fear of corrupting the firmware.
Yes, that is scary, but due to the wonders of computers, everything goes into the right place. if you want to know what has happened, read BdN's post slowly and carefully. Otherwise, just hope that whoever did the theme did it right.

Old 07-20-2008, 04:23 PM

If you're not sure what the zip will do just make a backup of your .rockbox folder from your Sansa to your pc.
In case it goes wrong you can always put the .rockbox directory back to your Sansa root. I always have a recent .rockbox backup on my PC.