android
Old 07-19-2008, 09:10 PM

Default S5 with 1.5 firmware doesn't read FLAC tags

Just curious if I'm the only one experiencing this. Just updated to 1.5 firmware. Popped some FLAC files over to the S5. They play great - but it appears that the S5 isn't reading the FLAC meta data, so the Album, Genre, Artist, etc... lookup information is all missing.

Is anyone else running into this, or is it possible that I have something wrong?

I transcoded the FLAC files to mp3 and copied those files to the S5, and the meta data appears properly, so the FLAC files definitel have the tags.

Anyone else?

Last edited by trumpetinc; 07-19-2008 at 09:10 PM. Reason: confusing title

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-19-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpetinc View Post
Just curious if I'm the only one experiencing this. Just updated to 1.5 firmware. Popped some FLAC files over to the S5. They play great - but it appears that the S5 isn't reading the FLAC meta data, so the Album, Genre, Artist, etc... lookup information is all missing.

Is anyone else running into this, or is it possible that I have something wrong?

I transcoded the FLAC files to mp3 and copied those files to the S5, and the meta data appears properly, so the FLAC files definitel have the tags.

Anyone else?
Is this your first samsung player? when samsung adds a new format to the firmware they never add support for tags right away. You might have to wait a couple of months.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:36 PM

Yes - this is my first portable player at all - if there is history in Samsung rollouts of releasing firmware without tag support, then fixing the deficiency in some reasonable amount of time, then I am highly relieved (had a hard enough time finding a player that could even support FLAC). Thanks.

Sounds like I need to sit on it and check again in 3 months. In the meantime, I'll just listen via playlists.

Old 10-12-2008, 08:27 AM

Angry

i m trying 2 update my s5 player but cant figure out were to put the unziped files and what exactly is a FLAC file?????????

Old 10-12-2008, 10:25 PM

FLAC is a file format (like mp3, but lossless compression - bigger files, but much better audio quality). I've actually found that a high sample rate mp3 is just fine for a player like this - the difference between FLAC and mp3 on a portable device with earbuds just isn't noticable.

Anyway, you just copy the files from the zip into the root folder of the device, then reboot the S5 - instructions for applying the update are on Samsung's website where you get the download, I recommend that you read them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda29 View Post
i m trying 2 update my s5 player but cant figure out were to put the unziped files and what exactly is a FLAC file?????????

Old 10-13-2008, 08:09 AM

thankks dude but when i open the files of my s5 i dont have a root file im not really used 2 doing this with mp3 players but i am used 2 doin this with psp i hack them and this s5 is definatly diffrent