android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon D2/D2+

Old 07-18-2008, 01:34 PM

Help going to buy D2, but have question about screen durability

I thought long and hard about the Zens -- I've been reasonably happy with my Zen V Plus, but it has only 2G, and I have 13G sitting on my computer, which is why I was attracted to the 32G Zen and Zen X-Fi...

but in the end, I've decided that the 16G of the D2 is not as limiting, since SD card content can be integrated. It actually makes it *more* expandable (ahem, will last me longer) than either Zen, since I don't mind having an all-Classical SD card, all-Jazz card, etc.

So my last holdout is the screen. The one thing I like about the screens of the Zens is that they are hard. My impression of the D2 is that it's an LCD screen -- that is, not hard. Is that true? I'm sort of concerned about the couple of screen issues people have posted recently.

Somebody make me feel better about this, pretty please, so I can get on with ordering my D2.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-18-2008, 01:39 PM

Just to let you know, zen x-fi is sd card expandable, but not integrated. Take it as you will, but you can still play media off of it (I think you have to browse separately to the sd card). I am also debating which to get between d2 and zen x-fi. I am pretty much waiting on video playback results because I am sure both play music very well. I like the idea of wi-fi and internal speakers, but d2 has more battery life and better codec support, i am in a pinch... haha...

Old 07-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchm View Post
Somebody make me feel better about this, pretty please, so I can get on with ordering my D2.
My D2's screen has been fine for over 16 months already. I use the D2 daily, with nothing but a cheap Dealextreme screen protector on it.

The D2's screen is a touch screen, which generally are more durable than non-touch TFTs. Of course the Zen and other non-touch players have an additional plastic layer above the TFT, but the D2 is still very sturdy.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Unless you're going to bash it in or sit on it (like the people who've had the problems posted in the threads that you refer to) it's a very durable player w/sturdy screen.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:17 PM
Redneck Moderator

My bro used the D2 for work, he does concrete, and he is also very hard on his stuff. His screen still works, its actually starting to act a little wierd, but it still works, and in my opinion, it lasted 2 or 3 times longer than I expected it to, and I know that cowon builds good quality stuff(I have most of their players)

Old 07-19-2008, 01:42 AM

I was considering holding off on getting my D2 because I knew a new zen was right around the corner. Now that I see what creative has come out with I dont regret going ahead and getting the D2 at all. I was very underwhelmed with the wifi zen and once you get a D2 actually in your hands I dont think you could ever want anything else. I did have a zen vision M before the screen broke (actually I still have it) and I still have my zen v plus which is a great player, but the D2 is simply awsome. Granted Ive only had mine for a few weeks, so I guess I cant really speak on its durability, but it is an amazing player.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fchm View Post
The one thing I like about the screens of the Zens is that they are hard.
The one thing? Actually, the Zen screen is nicer than the D2's. I know everybody here will cry out in outrage but it's true. Ultimately it has better contrast, brightness, pixel density, and viewing angles. The Zen's also not as finicky with photos and videos and has none of the digital artifacting I've complained about on here. Are videos important to you is the main question?

Beyond that gripe, the D2 is the nicer player overall if you're a tech junky. I learn something new about mine each week (e.g. I just found the flash skin loader on iaudiophile.net.)

Both players have they're advantages. For me it was the sound quality and options as well as the battery that did it for with the D2. If you're a casual user maybe the Zen's better for you.

Hope I helped
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 07-22-2008, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SansaRulez83 View Post
The one thing? Actually, the Zen screen is nicer than the D2's. I know everybody here will cry out in outrage but it's true. Ultimately it has better contrast, brightness, pixel density, and viewing angles. The Zen's also not as finicky with photos and videos and has none of the digital artifacting I've complained about on here. Are videos important to you is the main question?
Yes, I forgot about screen quality -- that is one thing I do like about the Zen, as superficial as it may sound. So I will probably miss that.

Videos are not important to me. I'd rather watch them on a giant screen and save the small screens for music and portable gaming.

I sort of am a tech junkie. The fact that the Cowon is compatible w/ Linux (and is built on Linux, skinnable, etc) makes me salivate. Hopefully that will make up for the screen not being as vibrant as my Zen.

Thanks everyone for your advice... unfortunately I can't buy right now as I had an unexpected repair cost this month... maybe they'll have at 32GB version out when I get the $$ again.

Old 07-22-2008, 02:29 PM

Supposedly, the D3 is going to be announced on August 29 in Germany so maybe you should wait for that! It should just be a D2 with nicer video quality though.
Phonak Audeo PFE 111 (White), Sennheiser PX100 (Travel Purposes), Koss KSC-75 (Eh... Too Plingy)

Old 07-22-2008, 04:49 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Smaller though - a real bummer.