android
Old 07-15-2008, 01:29 PM

Unhappy Confused with tagging

Not really sure if this should go here, but since I installed rockbox about half of my songs say <Untagged>. I have tried 2 or 3 different programs that can convert them all to ID3V2 since Ive read thats the problem but, I dont understand this stuff enough to do it.

Can someone help me with this? Maby a how to, or a program that is easy for clueless people to use?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Zune Moderator

What programs have you tried?

Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 PM

mp3tag and tag&Rename

Old 07-15-2008, 02:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

MP3Tag works the best for me.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:19 PM

how do you change the tag to ID3V2 using MP3Tag? I need to do over 100 songs so I would like to change them all at once.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

What format are they in now? Rockbox should work with any common MP3 tagging format, except APEv2, and almost nothing uses APEv2.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:49 PM

Mp3tag says some are in wma, some in ID3V1, ID3V2.2, ID3V2.3, and then the rest are just blank. This is looking under the tag column in mp3tag.

Old 07-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The ones that are blank, you need to fill in.

Old 07-15-2008, 04:26 PM

There is a pretty neat program called "The Godfather". read about it here. It is very powerful, capable of batch processing, works with free-db and can also download coverart. i've been using it ever since my collection of music got large and must say that it is very convenient to work with.
I think there definitely is a script to copy id3 from one version to another with tgf but i haven't used batch processing and can't tell you what to do, sorry. you'll have to find out yourself but it's pretty simple i think. There are also some tutorials on the site, so check them out.
It's easy as hell with tgf.
simply put all the files you want to modify in one folder, browse to that folder using the integrated explorer of tgf and the choose the option as shown in the screenshot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scn.jpg (47.2 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by BdN3504; 07-15-2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: solution found

Old 07-15-2008, 07:00 PM

Ok well ive tried the program posted above and the ones I already have again. Still untagged songs, I think there are less untagged songs now but its hard to tell. The ones that were blank are now ID3v2.

I dont understand why this is happening....

Last edited by schatten789; 07-15-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by schatten789 View Post
Ok well ive tried the program posted above and the ones I already have again. Still untagged songs, I think there are less untagged songs now but its hard to tell. The ones that were blank are now ID3v2.

I dont understand why this is happening....
hm. i propose, you reorganise your music , godfather is a very good tool to help you with that. you can easily edit every song in a folder manually under the "manual edit" tab. Or you click on the "online" which is an interface to get information of whole albums from freedb automatically. Either way, you will have to edit each album folder separately. I did this with maybe about 75% of my music and it took ages, but now, i'm almost never looking at the ugly "untagged" tag on my mp3 player, which is indeed a nice thing. But the amount of time that went into this and the effect that you experience is really disproportionate. So if you have lots of time try reorganising your stuff, otherwise just be happy as it is now... to my knowledge there is no tool that can fully organise music collections flawlessly and automatically, so you'll have to do it manually.

Old 07-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Mp3tag says some are in wma, some in ID3V1, ID3V2.2, ID3V2.3,
As far as I know, all of those should be supported.

Quote:
and then the rest are just blank. This is looking under the tag column in mp3tag.
It sounds like the problem is that you haven't tagged a lot of your files, and so they don't have tags.

Old 07-16-2008, 12:11 AM

Ok I went through all the songs and put in the title of the song and artist but I still have untagged songs. Do I have to fill in the album, year, Genre, and all that crap to??I think that is what you guys were both talking about doing... Im so confused right now with all this stuff, its all new to me.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Are you saving the tags when you use MP3Tag?

Old 07-16-2008, 01:44 AM

yes, I edit the tag then save, then I click the next song edit the tag and save, and continue that until all the songs have a tag. I only added the artist and title of the song though. Does it have to have all the other stuff?

Old 07-16-2008, 02:17 AM

Each wps has definitions of its own. e.g. one displays <aritst unknown>, others display nothing if no tag is present and some might even use pictures if tags are missing (it's possible but i have not seen anything like that). If you create a wps, you're free to specify these conditionals. This means "Do i need all the additional tags" depends on the wps you are using. If you use one that has lots of information, i.e. albumtitle, year, discnumber etc. you are likely to be facing a wps that includes lots of <tag is missing> lines. But as you might already have noticed, tags do not affect playback, so the most important information is always stored in the file, no matter which tags are present, and rockbox can always access the file.
If you want, you can send me, or just post a link to, the wps you are using the most, and i will edit it for you to just show tags you would like to see, maybe only artist and title.

Old 07-16-2008, 02:38 AM

I feel stupid asking this but what is wps?
Thanks for helping me out guys.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:21 AM

wps = the while playing screen. Not sure that it's really relevant to your problem though, because it sounds like your songs arent being identified correctly in the database.

This may be a bit obvious, but make sure youve rebuilt the database after tagging your files. And make sure it's *finished* updating (one of the more annoying design decisions in rockbox is the way it updates in the background but gives you no indication of when it's actually finished the job, so it's best to leave it for a few minutes to make sure).

Old 07-16-2008, 06:17 AM

Quote:
yes, I edit the tag then save, then I click the next song edit the tag and save, and continue that until all the songs have a tag. I only added the artist and title of the song though. Does it have to have all the other stuff?
All you really need are the artist and the name of the song, but the album title and track number are pretty useful too. It all depends how you want to sort through the tracks in the database. If youre not bothered about sorting by album and track order then you dont need to bother with these tags. I cant imagine anyone not wanting to know the artist and the track title though.

Note that using Mp3Tag it's pretty easy to add things like artist and album titles for a block of files in one go. e.g: Select all files with the same artist, set the artist name (in the panel on the left hand side) and hit save (CTRL S) and it will set the artist tag for all of those files to the same thing. Saves a LOT of time.

Also, if you use the same filename structure for all of your files (e.g. "01. The Beatles - Love Me Do.mp3") then mp3tag can pull the relevant information from the filename and put it into tags for you (the 'convert filenames to tags' function), in this case you would use the string "%track%. %artist% - %title%". This can also save lots of time.

Last edited by Daveybaby; 07-16-2008 at 10:33 AM.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:20 PM

I only look at the song name and artist most of the time. The wps shows at least the artist and song name which it should since they all have atleast that info. but, when I go to Database and then a folder like Track the first 1/4 or more songs only say untagged so I have to play the song in order to see the artis and song title.

Im using kugel.'s build which comes with the theme COWON, and that is the theme I am using. I dont mind it saying unknown for the album on the wps, it doesn really bother me.

thanks again